• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Music Thoughts Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cool World had a solid fucking soundtrack. One of my favorite solo Eno tracks.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bryter Layter should be the weak link in Nick Drake's discography, but I think it's fantastic.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If there's an afterlife, I wonder if Syd Barrett, Nick Drake and Arthur Lee have crossed paths, jammed together, or quietly sat moping in their own corners. The sad bastard mopers of classic rock.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RUST NEVER SLEEPS is basically an album of studio leftovers and live recordings featuring studio overdubs, yet it really works as a cohesive set and has some of Neil's best lyrical imagery to date. That said, many of the versions featured on LIVE RUST are improvements over the "studio" versions used on RNS--Powderfinger and Sedan Delivery in particular being songs that were born to be performed live. One could take the best cuts from each album and make an ultimate RUST playlist.

I wonder if the title Rust Never Sleeps was an allusion to the fact that the mjaority of songs were old "rusty" outtakes which Neil polished up for this release. Or probably some more poetic meaning, knowing Neil.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In high school I had a friend who I will refer to here as T, and we used to daydream about starting a band to perform Bowie-esque rock opera music. At one point we thought about naming it after a Bowie song or character. In hindsight, it's good we didn't go with Thin White Duke, since people would've thought we were some neo nazi punk band with a name like that

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Summer '68 by Pink Floyd is a strange song. It sounds half influenced by the Beach Boys in the chorus, but then the orchestra gives it a Moody Blues vibe.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there's a new mbti rule that if you enjoy Nick Drake, then you must be an INFP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“Weezer is Pavement for people who like Elton John instead of David Bowie.” -some redditor

snobby, but kind of true.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Top 5 Singers/music groups/producers that epitomize their eras

fifties:
Elvis
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Miles Davis
Frank Sinatra

sixties:
Beatles
Supremes
Phil Spector
Dylan
Simon & Garfunkel

seventies:
Led Zeppelin
Bee Gees
Elton John
Funkadelic/Parliament
Fleetwood Mac

eighties:
Guns n Roses
Duran Duran
Sade
Phil Collins/Genesis
U2
nineties:
Nirvana (early)/Foo Fighters (late)
Pavement
Wu Tang Clan
Salt n Pepa (early)/TLC (mid)/Destiny’s Child (late)
Smashing Pumpkins

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take that back... there's a lot of filler on side B. Great fucking A side though

OK, still Revolver, I guess.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am so tired of major key chauvinism. Every time I look up something pertaining to music theory, the author will explain things using examples in major keys (usually C major) but not in minor keys, which are my favored variety.

Another thing I am tired of is people mentioning "the melody" or "writing a melody over chords." In reality, unless you're writing very simple unaccompanied music, there will be multiple melodies, all with some degree of prominence, sounding forth at any given instant of a composition. Also, in music with accompaniment, any given note of a melody is a part of the sounding chord.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bach notated the places where he wanted the performer to play trills and mordants. People who play them elsewhere in the music, usually to poor effect, make me long to pull out a ruler and slap their hand.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was listening to Wish You Were Here last evening, an album I've heard countless times, but for some reason, this time, I wept during the second half of Shine On--I've never felt the same emotional resonance from that song before. I'll get goosebumps from a lot of music, but it's very rare for anything to provoke such a strong emotional reaction from me. I find the themes of absence are really hitting me hard lately.

Funny how songs can speak to us in different ways as we age and grow. Flipside, there is music that used to touch me emotionally but no longer has the same effect.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
speaking of...

I knew that girl I was dating in college for almost a year wasn't going to work out after she made a comment about hating the syd period of Pink Floyd.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Listening to Floyd members' solo albums. Waters' Is This The Life We Really Want may be my new favorite. Good production from Nigel Godrich. Waters does best when not in absolute control, in my opinion. Godrich's production makes it sound like a cross between Radiohead and Bowie's Blackstar.