• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I want to see the movie of the story of this picture. I want a two in one book where the first half is the story of the old man, and the second half is the story of the young man and they meet in the middle of the book.

Regardless, there is a story told in this picture. And I'll bet it's more insane than I am.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I noticed this headline today:

Burglars steal $30 million in cash from a Los Angeles money storage facility – one of the city’s largest cash heists​

The burglary happened on the night of Easter Sunday at an unnamed facility in Sylmar, a suburban neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, where cash from businesses across the region is handled and stored, the source said.

Burglars gained access to the building and entered the vault without setting off the alarms and investigators believe it is a sophisticated group based on their ability to evade detection, the source said. One area of focus for the investigation is whether the group had inside knowledge of the facility, said the source, who added that the heist was discovered on Monday.
I make two predictions:

1) Once the details about this heist come out, Hollywood will make a movie based on it.
2) That movie will make more that $30 million.

Tomb1

Saw Straight Outta Compton....pretty good movie about eazy-e who was clearly a maverick in the music industry. Conveys how police brutality gave NWA the momentum and ammunition to drive a new genre of rap.

North by Northwest...good movie on the theme of "perspective is truth". Hitchcock creates this sadistic gauntlet the main character is thrown into over a simple miscommunication.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Saw Straight Outta Compton....pretty good movie about eazy-e who was clearly a maverick in the music industry. Conveys how police brutality gave NWA the momentum and ammunition to drive a new genre of rap.

North by Northwest...good movie on the theme of "perspective is truth". Hitchcock creates this sadistic gauntlet the main character is thrown into over a simple miscommunication.

North by Northwest is also incredibly sensual without showing us anything. It's brilliant. It's hard for me to decide whether this or Rope is Mt favorite Hitchcock. They're very different movies so perhaps they share the top spot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weird, I don't really relate. I watched N by NW about ten (or was it twenty? Uggh) years ago and was completely indifferent to it / bored by it. I dunno. I felt like it was more a product for its times. I had a much more favorable response to Rope, Psycho, Strangers on a Train, and Vertigo (for example) as far as Hitchcock goes, or maybe The Third Man or Sunset Boulevard for other films from that time period.

----

So Wish was finally released on Disney+. Pretty underwhelming film. The main conceit was kind of interesting, but the execution wasn't so hot.

It very much felt like a film written by formula or committee, without understanding what makes a film actually come to life and pop -- kind of like making soup, where someone is just throwing everything into the pot without a real sense of how the ingredients go together and that you can't dump EVERYTHING into the pot or it becomes a bland mess. "Let's appeal to this group, or throw in this character, or pull in this story element," and so forth.

DeBose and the animators are trying too hard to be an ADHD Disney princess in the first ten minutes of the film; like, stop going through the motions, actually make her feel like she's non-hyper?

It's interesting to compare it to a film like Tangled (it was kind of cribbing off that film in look and feel), with music like Encanto, without realizing what made either film work. I didn't like Encanto on one level because I felt like there was no actual climax (the "villain" simply changes her mind at a convenient spot in the plot, without real justification), but the Encanto music actually fit the style of the story they were trying to tell. With Wish, at least half the time the music style broke whatever emotional arc the story was building rather than supporting it. (Only the climax of the film really "meshed" between story and music style -- kind of "Greatest Showman" vibe.) There was not a coherent emotional vision here for the overall film.

About the best thing with Wish was the basic theme, but that's completely unrelated to implementation: Maybe you want to trust someone else with your dreams, especially if they look and feel good and trustworthy, but if you relinquish ownership of dreams out of fear or frustration or expecting something for nothing, you both lose the impetus that engages you in life + you are giving other people power who might be corrupted by it. Taking ownership of your desires is what gives you drive and impetus and meaning in the world.

There was a line in the opening fairy tale screen where it talks about the King and his "loyal Queen" -- which is an odd way to refer to a woman, and thank god that actually was something the story plays against, because a wife is not a pet. So the word choice had meaning, but boy it was an odd choice up front.

The opening and closing sequences are too much like every other Disney film. There's a lot of moments that you feel you have already seen in a Disney film. And here we get into the rub of it -- and it's the same complaint some of us have voiced about Star Wars. Everything is self-referential. Instead of building something new, Wish often just substitutes things from other Disney films as if it that is meaningful in itself. Just like the problem with Star Wars, where is it pulling from unexpected sources or other genres or outside influence to bring a new spice to the soup -- putting things together in new and original ways? The best Disney films have done this, the worst as just rehashes of older Disney properties. I get the idea of "homage," but boy I guess this is a problem when it's Disney -- it takes a lot of hubris and cluelessness to manufacture films as a homage to oneself, because then it just feels like either self-praise or lack of fresh ideas. Star Wars has cannibalized itself repeatedly; and now Wish has done the same of all other Disney films.

The weirdest moment in the film also felt like the most original: The doors to the chicken coop open and inside there's a whole room full of chickens dancing/breakdancing and singing, brought to life by the power of Star. It's crazy, it's unexpected, it's full of energy, and it felt like one of the few original ideas in the film. I wish the rest of the film had been that unpredictable.

edit: LOL
1712429642440.png

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Weird. I watched N by NW about ten years ago and was completely indifferent to it / bored by it. I dunno. I felt like it was more a product for its times. I had a much more favorable response to Rope, Psycho, Strangers on a Train, and Vertigo (for example) as far as Hitchcock goes, or maybe The Third Man or Sunset Boulevard for other films from that time period.
That's interesting. I've heard people refer to it as a proto-Bond film. Some things just hit differently for different people, I suppose.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's interesting. I've heard people refer to it as a proto-Bond film. Some things just hit differently for different people, I suppose.
It didn't really help by that time in my life I had seen so many action and thriller movies that this felt just totally bland to me (including the infamous plane and Mt. Rushmore fight sequences). But it's not like I don't enjoy Hitchcock. I just couldn't engage this one.

The Cat

Staff member
Jack will always I think be my favorite film Joker. His portrayal is the one that frames Joker as having an artist's soul and a gangster's sensibilities. I'd like to mix this concept of criminally insane artist interior with the quiet gently unhinged obsession of Robin William's in One Hour Photo and I think you would have a pretty good Malkavian for VTM.

Jack is the Movie joker that I think of as the Joker...
but for purposes of this I'll call him the Gangster Artist Joker.(The Anarchy of Creativity Corrupted and Unbound)
Heath Ledger is the Terrorist Joker(The Anarchy of War, Terror, and PTSD)
Jared Leto is the Mogul Joker(The Anarchy of fame and Industry)
Cameron Monagham are the Mind Virus Jokers(The Anarchy of the masses and media)(These are some of my favorite presentations of a live action joker)
Joaquin Phoenix is the Everyman Joker(The Anarchy of hopelessness and social isolation)
Barry Keoghan(so far) is the Lecter Joker.(The Anarchy of the human body, mind and spirit)
Caesar Romero The Silver Age Joker. (The Anarchy of Censorship and Order gone awry)

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jack will always I think be my favorite film Joker. His portrayal is the one that frames Joker as having an artist's soul and a gangster's sensibilities. I'd like to mix this concept of criminally insane artist interior with the quiet gently unhinged obsession of Robin William's in One Hour Photo and I think you would have a pretty good Malkavian for VTM.

Jack is the Movie joker that I think of as the Joker...
but for purposes of this I'll call him the Gangster Artist Joker.(The Anarchy of Creativity Corrupted and Unbound)
Heath Ledger is the Terrorist Joker(The Anarchy of War, Terror, and PTSD)
Jared Leto is the Mogul Joker(The Anarchy of fame and Industry)
Cameron Monagham are the Mind Virus Jokers(The Anarchy of the masses and media)(This is the Joker that I think of as the Real Joker)(IE what the Joker is)
Joaquin Phoenix is the Everyman Joker(The Anarchy of hopelessness and social isolation)
Barry Keoghan(so far) is the Lecter Joker.(The Anarchy of the human body, mind and spirit)
Caesar Romero The Silver Age Joker. (The Anarchy of Censorship and Order gone awry)

I don't know which one I like best, Jack, Heath, or Joaquim. Jack Nicholson was probably the most like an actual clown and yet still managed to be scary; I think he might actually be the most deranged out of all of them. Jack struck me as actually being the most nuts.

I think Heath was good at mind games, and I like that he's completely unreliable in so much of what he says (but I think there are certain moments where I think he's telling the truth). I'm not meaning this as an insult, but I would argue that he's a homicidal troll Joker, fitting for a time when social media was still in its infancy.

Arthur Fleck is the most grounded out of all of them; the movie isn't about incels at all; it's about the gap between the rich and poor. Turning the conflict between Batman and the Joker into being about the conflict between the rich and the poor was brilliant.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Timothy Dalton was originally one of the actors being considered for Bond way back after Connery quit (the first time). They eventually went with George Lazenby but it's interesting to imagine how the series would've looked with Dalton taking over right after Connery. Personally, I think an older Dalton makes his portrayal of a world weary Bond more convincing and I don't think he could've pulled that off playing the role at 25 years old. I'm also not sure if audiences of the late 60s/70s were ready for a darker, more literary Bond at that point. So far, Lazenby remains the youngest actor to be hired for Bond at 28 years old. (Oliver Reed was also up for consideration following Connery)

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, I don't think the Moore era is as silly as people seem to remember it being. A handful of slapstick and sight gags are throughout his films, but for the most part, he always played the part pretty straight and serious. Sometimes he even comes across as Conneryesque in his most cold blooded moments. Clown makeup aside, there's a lot of tension and a grave tone in the infamous clown makeup scene when Bond appears panicked and desperate to stop the bomb detonation. The most badass moment in his tenure (and in the entire series) is when he kicks the henchman's car from the cliff in For Your Eyes Only

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, I don't think the Moore era is as silly as people seem to remember it being. A handful of slapstick and sight gags are throughout his films, but for the most part, he always played the part pretty straight and serious. Sometimes he even comes across as Conneryesque in his most cold blooded moments. Clown makeup aside, there's a lot of tension and a grave tone in the infamous clown makeup scene when Bond appears panicked and desperate to stop the bomb detonation. The most badass moment in his tenure (and in the entire series) is when he kicks the henchman's car from the cliff in For Your Eyes Only

I watched Octopussy; I picked it entirely based on the name. I had a good time with it. I can be satisfied with a movie if it's fun, and that's all it is. Moreover, when the henchwoman says 'That's my octopussy" and shows off her tattoo, the octopus in question is a blue-ringed octopus, which is particularly deadly.

The Cat

Staff member
Who is the better Gurney Halleck, Patrick Stewart or Josh Brolin?
Both of them are too pretty for the source material. Both of them did well though. Patrick Stewart is easier to picture singing bawdry songs in a Harkonnen work camp, and being a Toubador Warrior imo.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Both of them are too pretty for the source material. Both of them did well though. Patrick Stewart is easier to picture singing bawdry songs in a Harkonnen work camp, and being a Toubador Warrior imo.
I think I prefer Josh Brolin because he was more gruff and severe, but you are right about the bawdy songs part.

The Cat

Staff member
I think I prefer Josh Brolin because he was more gruff and severe, but you are right about the bawdy songs part.
He was a ruthless, yet noble and romantic warrior of enormous talent. Described as "an ugly lump of a man", he was regarded the most loyal of friends to those he loved, and to those he hated there were few enemies more terrifying. A traditionalist and purist at heart, Gurney Halleck did not indulge in melange addiction or other methods to prolong human life.

Brolin did very well. Its just hard to beat ugly into josh brolins face no matter how many movies i see where they try.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He was a ruthless, yet noble and romantic warrior of enormous talent. Described as "an ugly lump of a man", he was regarded the most loyal of friends to those he loved, and to those he hated there were few enemies more terrifying. A traditionalist and purist at heart, Gurney Halleck did not indulge in melange addiction or other methods to prolong human life.

Brolin did very well. Its just hard to beat ugly into josh brolins face no matter how many movies i see where they try.
Well, he was craggly.

The Cat

Staff member
Well, he was craggly.
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2022%2F05%2Fdune-part-2-josh-brolin-gurney-sequel-return-comments-000.jpg

My dear, you've set your gaze upon the quintessential frontier type. Note the lean silhouette... eyes closed by the sun, though sharp as a hawk. He's got the look of both predator and prey.
That is not the visage of an ugly lump of a man.​