• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jesus and Oedipus

Mole

Permabanned
Sometimes, it seems you are trying to antagonize yourself.

I've extended the hand of freindship towards you, but you seem to want to go on about how mbti is a cult, how America is evil, religion is evil, e-tribalism, and how the members of this site allegedly want to convince young teenagers of using drugs. I just don't get this. These things you constantly rave about on here are just conspiracies, paranoia about typology central and its members. These are your fetishes, we all have our fetishes, but when these fetishes turn into obsession it is unhealthy...

I just don't understand why you want to turn me into an enemy, I am not trying to antogonize you, but if other members do, it is also partly because you court their aggression.

So you are bent on trying to convince everyone mbti is a cult. I still say it's trivial. Scientology, that's a cult, but mbti? Why is that anything but trivial? You are against it because it is American?

C'mon man...

It somewhat shocking you want to make a friend of me. Because of the limitations of the medium, it is very rare to make a friend on the internet.

It is far easier and far better to make a friend in real life.

We are now starting to discover that people in real life make us happier than people on the internet.

I am an intellectual. I love to think and I love original thought and I love original thinkers. I have no interest in making an enemy of you. I don't know your situation, anymore than you know mine, so it seems friendship is a bit beyond our reach.

To make the best of me, respect my original thinking.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It somewhat shocking you want to make a friend of me. Because of the limitations of the medium, it is very rare to make a friend on the internet.

It is far easier and far better to make a friend in real life.

We are now starting to discover that people in real life make us happier than people on the internet.

I am an intellectual. I love to think and I love original thought and I love original thinkers. I have no interest in making an enemy of you. I don't know your situation, anymore than you know mine, so it seems friendship is a bit beyond our reach.

To make the best of me, respect my original thinking.

To extend the hand of friendship does not mean I realistically expect us to be best buds. It simply means I am extending sympathy, the opposite of antipathy.

I do respect your thinking which is why I wish you would use on something interesting while on here. You have before. Like that time when we were discussing the TPP, and it's use for Australians and Oz's economy. But most of the time, it seems you are more concerned with the things you dislike, instead of real polemics...

Mole

Permabanned
To extend the hand of friendship does not mean I realistically expect us to be best buds. It simply means I am extending sympathy, the opposite of antipathy.

I do respect your thinking which is why I wish you would use on something interesting while on here. You have before. Like that time when we were discussing the TPP, and it's use for Australians and Oz's economy. But most of the time, it seems you are more concerned with the things you dislike, instead of real polemics...

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, however I will continue to limit myself to what interests me. So in this case back to Jesus and Oedipus.

Mole

Permabanned
On first sight Jesus and Oedipus would seem to be odd bedfellows, but on closer inspection they have a lot in common. In particular they both have a relationship with their parents, as each of us do.

And even closer inspection shows their relationship with their parents is diametrically opposed. As Oedipus loved his mother and hated his father, Jesus was tortured to death by his father, and the mother of Jesus was devoted to him.

So Oedipus had the normal Oedipus Complex while Jesus had a reverse Oedipus Complex.

Of course both Jesus and Oedipus are metaphors for our relationship with our parents.

In both cases neither Jesus nor Oedipus were aware of the nature of their relationship with their parents, and in the case of Oedipus it led to self inflicted blindness, and in the case of Jesus, led to Jesus being tortured to death.

So both Jesus and Oedipus are warnings to us to examine our relationship with our parents, analyse it, evaluate it, and integrate it into our other relationships.

And it is well worth pointing out that mbti does not help us understand our relationship with our parents, and leaves us at the mercy or our unconscious psychodrama with our parents.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I made that mistake once, but there are 2 Marys in the Holy Bible, one his mother, one his lover.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would be unnatural for me not to be rejected by the vulgar, as the vulgar have a long and illustrious history.

As the original Bible was written in that language of good taste, Ancient Greek. But naturally it was inaccessible for the vulgar, so the Ancient Greek Bible of good taste was transcribed and translated for the vulgar. And naturally the new vulgar Bible was called the Vulgate, the Bible for the vulgar.

So the Vulgate, the vulgar Bible, corrupted our good taste, and today we glory in our vulgarity, and ostracise anyone with good taste.

"Vulgar" didn't have the same negative connotation in Late Antiquity as it does now. At most, it was still considerably less negative. "Vulgar" simply meant pertaining to the vulgus or people.

If you think Jerome's translation of the Bible into Latin, i.e., the Vulgate, is vulgar in a modern sense, then you are sorely mistaken. Jerome was known for his Latin style.

Mole

Permabanned
"Vulgar" didn't have the same negative connotation in Late Antiquity as it does now. At most, it was still considerably less negative. "Vulgar" simply meant pertaining to the vulgus or people.

If you think Jerome's translation of the Bible into Latin, i.e., the Vulgate, is vulgar in a modern sense, then you are sorely mistaken. Jerome was known for his Latin style.

This is true, you have caught me out.

It's true the Vulgate is not vulgar in the modern sense of vulgar.

Indeed I was pulling a swiftie in order to express my distaste for my vulgar opponents.

And it plain you have undone me. And I don't even have the consolation of calling you vulgar.

Mole

Permabanned
Just a quick change of perspective. That part of the Bible written in greek, was in the "koiné dialektos", "common language". It wasn't anymore the language of good taste, that was classic greek, the one which had dialect differentiations.

There's to say that the Bible is full of translation (and trascription) errors from aramaic and ebraic, not that many from greek. That influenced the first christian philosophers (who also misinterpreted Aristotile), the foundation of modern christianity. So it is literally based on nothing.

For example, in exodus God says "I am Who I am". (I am the one who exists). Jerome uses that to justify the necessity of his existence. Then he resorts to Aristotile's auctoritas and logic principles to affirm that "if someone doesn't believe in his existence, his reasoning is either dialectic or sophistic".
It turned out the original ebraic text just said "I'm here (to help you and your people)"

Ancient Greek was the language of good taste in Grammar Schools. Shakespeare, for instance, attended a Grammar School. And there is a Grammar School just up the road from me.

So we have transformed the common language of Ancient Greece to a language of high status and good taste in the British Empire. However the American Revolutionary and lexicographer, Noah Webster, sought to cut English off from from its British roots for spite and political reasons. And in reducing the status of British English out of spite, Noah Webster also reduced the status of Ancient Greek.

So no one today parades their high status by quoting Ancient Greek, rather we parade our egalitarianism, and parade our bad taste as proof we are no better than anyone else.

But I don't forget, as a little boy I dressed as a Grenadier Guard of the British Empire, and grew up in the Imperial Hotel, click on imperial hotel picton nsw - Google Search

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mole, why do you do this to yourself? :(

I sometimes think you're like a fun side project of Highlander's doing when he's having downtime from being Captain Mod.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I sometimes think you're like a fun side project of Highlander's doing when he's having downtime from being Captain Mod.

I think you might be onto something there as I have never seen the two online at the same time as far as i can remember.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just stopping in to say that I have a bible and in high school sometimes in the morning I'd read a bit of it. I don't necessarily believe in religion, I just.. I don't. I'm not an Atheist, or anything like that. I think some of the stories are beautiful, though.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am in your ignore list so it doesn't matter what my opinion is about it lol
Have a nice day mole!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you might be onto something there as I have never seen the two online at the same time as far as i can remember.

It would explain why mole never gets banned either lol

Mole

Permabanned

It's true, Highlander and I are as one. We finish each other's sentences, we decide who to ban and for how long. The only question is whether Mole has a position of privilege, or whether it is Highlander who is privileged.

But let's not make a mistake, it is a unique privilege to be a mate of Mole. People whisper behind their hands as you pass by, He is a mate of Mole, they say.

Mole

Permabanned
It would explain why mole never gets banned either lol

Of course I have been banned - it is a rite of passage. But note well, I took it on the chin, no whining, no complaints, no blaming. I took my long ban in good spirit, then my resilience asserted itself, and like General MacArthur, I returned.

Mole

Permabanned
I am in your ignore list so it doesn't matter what my opinion is about it lol
Have a nice day mole!

I find it too hard to ignore you, and while you are not yet a mate of Mole, you have my ear. So I look forward to hearing your warm muzzle whispering in my ear. But look, just between you and me, you might like to aspire to whispering beautiful lies in my ear.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think that Mole communicates with a great deal of Ni. There is an inner construct of reality that is abstracted from reality, and even though the concepts often appear to have random connections on the surface, they all unite into a singularity somewhere inside that remains consistent over time. Socially and in every way it is an abstraction of reality, disassociated from the place where others dwell.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do think that Mole communicates with a great deal of Ni. There is an inner construct of reality that is abstracted from reality, and even though the concepts often appear to have random connections on the surface, they all unite into a singularity somewhere inside that remains consistent over time. Socially and in every way it is an abstraction of reality, disassociated from the place where others dwell.

His Ni is obvious and I would say he is trapped in a Ni/Ji loop of some sort as he does seem to have a inner network of ideas that all link together.

Mole

Permabanned
Just stopping in to say that I have a bible and in high school sometimes in the morning I'd read a bit of it. I don't necessarily believe in religion, I just.. I don't. I'm not an Atheist, or anything like that. I think some of the stories are beautiful, though.

Yes, the Bible is great literature as well as being great theology. And the Bible was the first book printed on the newly invented printing press in 1440, setting off the march to universal literacy.

And don't forget the first European settlers in America brought the Bible with them as an inerrant guide to Truth and as a guide on how to live.

All my families names over generations are inscribed in the King James Bible.

And it would be fair to say the God we worship is the God of the Book. And notice, whatever we worship we become, and as we worship the God of the Book, we become literate individuals.

Mole

Permabanned
language is nothing but signs that stand for an idea.

Perhaps you are being a little cavalier with the word, for as with John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.