• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to stabilize gas prices in the United States and in the West?

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
1644519409146.png

Source: Getty Images

The price of gas has been rising in the last week and is forecasted to continue to jump throughout the first and second financial quarters of this year, at the very least.

How can the United States and the West keep oil and gas prices from skyrocketing if major producers become embroiled in a military conflict with externalities that threaten and disrupt those markets and pipelines?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
View attachment 25809
Source: Getty Images

The price of gas has been rising in the last week and is forecasted to continue to jump throughout the first and second financial quarters of this year, at the very least.

How can the United States and the West keep oil and gas prices from skyrocketing if major producers become embroiled in a military conflict with externalities that threaten and disrupt those markets and pipelines?
Invade another Middle Eastern country. Trump was against it so doing it is probably good. I saw some rational good Republicans on TV telling me it was.

Or you know we could stop depending so much on gas, there are a lot of ways to do that. More walkable neighborhoods for one thing. The technology for that already exists.

Hypatia

Invade another Middle Eastern country. Trump was against it so doing it is probably good. I saw some rational good Republicans on TV telling me it was.

Or you know we could stop depending so much on gas, there are a lot of ways to do that. More walkable neighborhoods for one thing. The technology for that already exists.
A complete transition to renewable energy would take years, obviously. I was scouting for for practicable solutions in the interim.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A complete transition to renewable energy would take years, obviously. I was scouting for for practicable solutions in the interim.
Building walkable neighborhoods requires renewable energy? Yes, that would take time too, but it's not going to happen at all if there's no demand for that to happen. And yet, I don't see a call to do that on a national level. It may be happening more on state and local levels.

If these things take time, why aren't we doing more to start doing them now instead of shrugging it off as "impractical"? There is nothing impractical about that. What is impractical is not planning for the long term, which is something we don't like to do here in the good ole US of A.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Need I remind people that it wouldn't actually be bad for the people living there if we invaded a Middle Eastern country. We'd be giving them freedom and liberating their freedom as well as their minds from the superstition of religion. It actually works out well for everyone.

The idea of "walkable neighborhoods" and "places of employment that aren't two hours from a city center" to be are pipe dreams. Besides, you have jobs close to cities and you're close to "unsafe areas."

Hypatia

I wouldn't consider this a very practical response.
I was under the assumption that you were the only who discussed this under the ambit of multiple technologies which would reduce oil & gas consumption. It's kind of an ancillary point. It does address some economics of reducing oil dependency, but as something like cars, for example, are a more advanced technology for transportation and improve quality of living with regards to transportation, I didn't consider your response wholly practical, though I do agree in increasing demand for renewable energy. I think that's more important than demand for walking, IMO. You're free to supply a different opinion.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't consider this a very practical response.
It was considered a sensible pragmatic opinion 20 years ago. If this was incorrect, this would mean that perhaps what is considered sensible and pragmatic by society at large at any given time (thus, the "norms" of the time) isn't always so. I hope you change your opinion because otherwise we would be treading on dangerous ground. The door is opened for dangerous extremism.

I was under the assumption that you were the only who discussed this under the ambit of multiple technologies which would reduce oil & gas consumption. It's kind of an ancillary point. It does address some economics of reducing oil dependency, but as something like cars, for example, are a more advanced technology for transportation and improve quality of living with regards to transportation, I didn't consider your response wholly practical, though I do agree in increasing demand for renewable energy. I think that's more important than demand for walking, IMO. You're free to supply a different opinion.
My point was that there are lots of things, some of of which is technology for reducing oil and gas consumptions.

But in general the way our lived environments in constructed is remarkably inefficient and it could be constructed in a much more efficient way that would be less wasteful and therefore would perhaps mean that gas prices rising isn't the apocalyptic scenario it is now.

Lots of cities have all the jobs 1-2 hours away which means that people have to either live in places where everything is spread out so they have to drive a lot, or they can live closer to the city and drive a 1 to 2 hours commute every morning. I'm sure that's always an enjoyable experience, so I can definitely understand why people would not be open to changing that. Having more time outside of work is overrated.

Last edited:

Hypatia

1644594606674.png

Red states would enjoy a considerable advantage during a national push for clean energy.

The ecoregions which would derive the greatest economic benefit from the establishment of more renewable energy initiatives are located in the Great Plains, Intermountain Region, and states wherein the Appalachian Mountains cover some areas. The majority of districts which contain significant renewable energy potential are represented by both Republican Senate and House members.

Some of these Republican politicians also serve on committees which overlook fossil fuel developments, and could play vital roles in stimulating policies and opportunities for workers in these industries, because there exists a significant overlap in the regions which contain the greatest promise for cost-competitive renewable fuel production and those that are currently primed for fossil fuels.

Some of the best candidates for the new jobs that are being added by the renewable energy sector will be those already working within the fossil fuels industry with technical and mechanical experience. Often, this will be enough to secure stable wages, and no further degrees would be necessary. Furthermore, workers in the clean energy industry often receive higher pay, on average. And aside from the diverse number of job opportunities afforded by this sector, current fossil fuel workers will also be given opportunities to perform plug-ins of obsolete gas and oil wells, which release alarming levels of carbon emissions into the air, even while they remain inactive. Considering fossil fuel employment has been on the decline for decades, investments into clean technology would be beneficial for nearly anyone working in the energy sector.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
View attachment 25821
Red states would enjoy a considerable advantage during a national push for clean energy.

The ecoregions which would derive the greatest economic benefit from the establishment of more renewable energy initiatives are located in the Great Plains, Intermountain Region, and states wherein the Appalachian Mountains cover some areas. The majority of districts which contain significant renewable energy potential are represented by both Republican Senate and House members.

Some of these Republican politicians also serve on committees which overlook fossil fuel developments, and could play vital roles in stimulating policies and opportunities for workers in these industries, because there exists a significant overlap in the regions which contain the greatest promise for cost-competitive renewable fuel production and those that are currently primed for fossil fuels.

Some of the best candidates for the new jobs that are being added by the renewable energy sector will be those already working within the fossil fuels industry with technical and mechanical experience. Often, this will be enough to secure stable wages, and no further degrees would be necessary. Furthermore, workers in the clean energy industry often receive higher pay, on average. And aside from the diverse number of job opportunities afforded by this sector, current fossil fuel workers will also be given opportunities to perform plug-ins of obsolete gas and oil wells, which release alarming levels of carbon emissions into the air, even while they remain inactive. Considering fossil fuel employment has been on the decline for decades, investments into clean technology would be beneficial for nearly anyone working in the energy sector.
Interesting. In theory this should be politically feasible. Problem is I've never known American politics to revolve around rationality. (The stance of Republican voters towards the vaccine is one example; this would actually benefit them by keeping them alive but it appears to be a non-starter).

I don't think you can necessarily assume that people will support policies in their best interest. Especially not if there are vested interests who stand to lose who have a lot of money at the moment to spend on propaganda.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
nuclear is your best practical short term solution. long term we phase towards various sources including solar, wind, and invest in discovering new sources of energy.

We need to be mining asteroids for minerals, fuel, etc.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
nuclear is your best practical short term solution. long term we phase towards various sources including solar, wind, and invest in discovering new sources of energy.

We need to be mining asteroids for minerals, fuel, etc.
It seems like I keep hearing about breakthroughs in fusion.

It isn't there yet but that would be ideal.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Isn't the main problem with renewables low reliability and lack of consistency? It seems nuclear is the only way. Looking at Texas thing from year ago, renewables are highly prone to disruption by extreme weather.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Isn't the main problem with renewables low reliability and lack of consistency? It seems nuclear is the only way. Looking at Texas thing from year ago, renewables are highly prone to disruption by extreme weather.

Seems that it was more about natural gas and less about renewables. But that blame was pretty predictable.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Curious, can in US the government just make a decree to freeze gas prices ? (in order to control the speculation).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Curious, can in US the government just make a decree to freeze gas prices ? (in order to control the speculation).
Energy industry provides far too much campaign $$ for that to be a legitimate idea although it's entirely possible.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9

Seems that it was more about natural gas and less about renewables. But that blame was pretty predictable.
Ah, okay so both natural gas and wind turbines weren't winterized despite that they could be.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ah, okay so both natural gas and wind turbines weren't winterized despite that they could be.
That and all the companies that generate power in TX all run on natural gas. This is an excellent flow chart but wow, this whole thing is like a mid level marketing scam. They're not connected to the US grid so there is no oversight and no national standards to adhere to.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does that work? Or has it worked in any previous examples? I assume it might help in the short term at least, but not long term?