• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Ideological Bias a Form of Mental Illness?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the values conflict is innate. The problem is, everybody is biased so there is no person who can act as a go-between and ultimate conflict solver. The conflict is named by the Jamesian distinction between the tender-minded and tough-minded. A rational ("sane") society needs a little of both, wherever appropriate. A system set up to apply tender-minded or tough-minded judgments has to be based on principles that are above both. Such a system can't spring from out of nowhere, but it has to start with those principles as ideals and then evolve toward them.

That dichotomy alone has its own biases and judgements. Like the tender-tough distinction, and the value judgement of rationality. Either way, yeah, people have to find some common ground. And reposting fake news isn't helpful.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That dichotomy alone has its own biases and judgements. Like the tender-tough distinction, and the value judgement of rationality. Either way, yeah, people have to find some common ground. And reposting fake news isn't helpful.

Are you one of those people who say we have to find some common ground, but then never looks for any?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you one of those people who say we have to find some common ground, but then never looks for any?

No, I'm one of those people who believe that reposting fake news doesn't help correct unhelpful ideological bias.

Lark

I'm not saying there is no good or bad, but that there is no "all-good" or "all-bad." The latter terms are reserved for ideologies, and religions that believe in the existence of God and Satan.

There's nothing good about the far right or fascism. Nothing good at all.

Those religions were on to something you know.

Lark

No, I'm one of those people who believe that reposting fake news doesn't help correct unhelpful ideological bias.

Its the fatal conceit, everyone is biased, you're the only objective thinker there is, maybe even the source of objectivity.

I think its a logical fallacy the same as confirmation bias. Anyway, I read about it a while back so I dont remember the exact phrasing and sources.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its the fatal conceit, everyone is biased, you're the only objective thinker there is, maybe even the source of objectivity.

I think its a logical fallacy the same as confirmation bias. Anyway, I read about it a while back so I dont remember the exact phrasing and sources.

Hah, I'm aware of my biases and values, that's exactly what I was saying before. I know what I want to stand by, and I have a good idea of what they are rooted in, if anything. I did refer to the idea of correction as correcting "unhelpful" biases, specifically to finding common ground.

Lark

Hah, I'm aware of my biases and values, that's exactly what I was saying before. I know what I want to stand by, and I have a good idea of what they are rooted in, if anything. I did refer to the idea of correction as correcting unhelpful biases, specifically to finding common ground.

I was talking about the other guy, that tendency to lecture others on things you're a prime example of yourself, the OP, not you.

To be honest I've no problem with being accused of absolutism, the alternative is relativism which I think is bullshit, I can even accept pragmatism but not that.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was talking about the other guy, that tendency to lecture others on things you're a prime example of yourself, the OP, not you.

To be honest I've no problem with being accused of absolutism, the alternative is relativism which I think is bullshit, I can even accept pragmatism but not that.

Ah. I do think of myself as a relativist, but one with absolute preferences. I've never seen anybody operate without close-enough-to-absolutist preferences.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The far right isn't a factor in today's political climate. The KKK for example has been marching around for decades, and suddenly it's a problem?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That's why it is so very unhelpful to confuse, confound or equate conservatives and the quasi -fascist or actually fascist extreme right. I have no problem with conservatives. They belong to any healthy society and should get their turn at governing a country and influencing its laws just like progressives. The revolutionary right is a totally different beast and often a sworn enemy not only of the left but also of conservatism. Of established institutions of their society like parliamentary democracy, academia,the independence of the courts and the free press. If you want to see the world burn, you're no conservative! There is a different name for that.

Lark

That's why it is so very unhelpful to confuse, confound or equate conservatives and the quasi -fascist or actually fascist extreme right. I have no problem with conservatives. They belong to any healthy society and should get their turn at governing a country and influencing its laws just like progressives. The revolutionary right is a totally different beast and often a sworn enemy not only of the left but also of conservatism. Of established institutions of their society like parliamentary democracy, academia,the independence of the courts and the free press. If you want to see the world burn, you're no conservative! There is a different name for that.

Honestly, I think they're shades of a similar position, with the exception of Beorn the posters which I would have thought of as conservative who havent deserted the forum would all have rapidly gravitated to the extremes which you're treating as distinct from conservatism, so I dont really feel like extending any sort of charitable recognition to the moderate positions of conservatives in the past.

That said I dont like liberals either. My politics are pretty unique. Most of the time I just wish I had enough money to build a fall out shelter with enough books and just leave them all to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Its self-evident to the people who arent their apologists.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly, I think they're shades of a similar position, with the exception of Beorn the posters which I would have thought of as conservative who havent deserted the forum would all have rapidly gravitated to the extremes which you're treating as distinct from conservatism, so I dont really feel like extending any sort of charitable recognition to the moderate positions of conservatives in the past.

That said I dont like liberals either. My politics are pretty unique. Most of the time I just wish I had enough money to build a fall out shelter with enough books and just leave them all to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Its self-evident to the people who arent their apologists.

Who's apologizing?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Stop this you're going to trigger the Fi doms

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stop this you're going to trigger the Fi doms

I think this is much more likely to trigger the Fi-doms. In case you didn't know. ;)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think this is much more likely to trigger the Fi-doms. In case you didn't know. ;)

Maybe that was my purpose all along... muahahahahaha

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe that was my purpose all along... muahahahahaha

I've been in the game for a while. For instance, the time people are most likely lose their shit in the venerable Fe vs Fi threads is when somebody says something like, "I know I can't say this without an Fx'er losing their shit, but..."

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've been in the game for a while. For instance, the time people are most likely lose their shit in the venerable Fe vs Fi threads is when somebody says something like, "I know I can't say this without an Fx'er losing their shit, but..."

When that happens I like to grab some popcorn. :popc1: