• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Home Radiator Covers

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is the best, most cost effective way to create a radiator cover? I may be moving into an apartment with four old radiators, one really wide, one really tall, and two regular looking ones. I've been looking over the covers available at Walmart and Wayfair because I don't have a lot of money. Maybe these would be cheaper to build? What is the right wood to use since the radiator can get up close to 200 degrees Farenheit? Is it easier to just buy the cheap ones or is it a mistake?

Skimt

Wish I could help, but I had to google "radiator cover" to know what this was about. Nobody builds wooden cages for radiators here. It's considered a fire hazard. Most radiators are not oil based anymore, and look sleek and high tech, like in the images below. I would throw the old ones out and buy modern ones that comes with WiFi and Bluetooth options.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 003810.png
Screenshot 2022-05-30 003818.png

But as a project, drywall is fire proof and cheap. You could build a simple frame out of wood that you can attach the drywall to, then carve holes for it. Use paste in the holes, and file it down to make sharp or smooth edges. Then you can use water based paint on it, and maybe attach a wood panel on top with venting holes.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The place is a rental and I’m poor so buying a new heating system is not an option. I do need info on wooden radiator covers being a fire hazard. Can anyone define the risks?

my info is that radiators get up to 215 degrees Fahrenheit and the hard woods ignite at over 1000 degrees F. The idea still makes me nervous so more info is appreciated.

it would be a shame to bypass this unit when it has a lot of charm but only has old timey radiators - one in each room.

Last edited:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The apartment has these old timey steam radiators:
images

These are the covers I was thinking I could afford by winter.
eed242fb-2483-4d48-bf16-75d2b11c4989_1.e2fdd6a2b2c56a49277f683227f4a63e.jpeg

Would it be helpful to put fireplace tile backings inside? Or a thin sheet of hardieback along the top and sides?

I have read that the wood should be a couple of inches away from the structure on each side, and then I thought that reflective fireplace tiles or something inside the wooden structure facing the radiator might keep the wood from overheating?

@xenaprincess

Last edited:

Skimt

I'm no expert on it, and shouldn't speak like one. Can't find any info on fire hazards so, give it a go? :shrug: It looks a lot better with the cover.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm no expert on it, and shouldn't speak like one. Can't find any info on fire hazards so, give it a go? :shrug: It looks a lot better with the cover.
I'm not an expert for sure, so have been reading and trying to sort it out. What I have read is that traditionally people have been too easy-peasy with radiators, putting newspapers on them, drying socks and gloves. Cotton ignites at 248F, which isn't much over the reference to radiators getting up to 212F. People used to use blankets to cover radiators and that was stated as a fire hazard.

I have spirited cats and my primary concern is for them to jump up on one or slide into one when running on the wood floors. I'm also concerned about radiator bursts and the spray, which would also be reduced somewhat by a cover.

I have to rent the lower end options and this apartment is actually beautiful with twice the square footage I currently have, so I would really like it, but am only concerned about the radiators. It has a door to the outside and no old, moldy cupboards like most cheap apartments.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an expert for sure, so have been reading and trying to sort it out. What I have read is that traditionally people have been too easy-peasy with radiators, putting newspapers on them, drying socks and gloves. Cotton ignites at 248F, which isn't much over the reference to radiators getting up to 212F. People used to use blankets to cover radiators and that was stated as a fire hazard.

I have spirited cats and my primary concern is for them to jump up on one or slide into one when running on the wood floors. I'm also concerned about radiator bursts and the spray, which would also be reduced somewhat by a cover.

I have to rent the lower end options and this apartment is actually beautiful with twice the square footage I currently have, so I would really like it, but am only concerned about the radiators. It has a door to the outside and no old, moldy cupboards like most cheap apartments.
I grew up in a house with radiators like those. We didn't have covers on them. My cat learned to avoid them, but would sometimes sit on the windowsill just above one - the window sills were about 8" higher than the top of the radiator. I used to put socks and sometimes my slippers on them to warm up, but never left them alone there. I don't recall ever seeing bursts or spray. Perhaps a different type of radiator would do that.

As for the covers: we didn't have any but I have seen them, like the one in your picture. They seemed to be made just of ordinary wood. I remember seeing metal covers, too, much in the manner of a fireplace screen but not a mesh, more a thin metal with holes and or slits, like this:

iu

Yes, they got warm but nowhere near as hot as the radiator. I think the safety margin comes from: distance between the radiator and the wood - they are not supposed to be a close fit. Heat must then cross the air gap between radiator and cover. The extra distance also allows the top to be flush with the window sill as in the picture (assumes radiator is shorter by a handful of inches). Also the slats allow heat to escape, so the radiator can continue to do its job. You WANT the heat to transfer through and out. Preventing thermal transfer is what keeps the temperature inside the cover high, and the temperature of the wood. As heat is transferred to the cover, it will transfer again to the cooler room around. Mostly heat transfers to the air as it circulates through the slits/holes/gaps.

Bottom line: I would buy specifically designed covers if there is any way you can afford them. You could also build them, or buy one and copy for other radiators, but that requires having some hand tools and knowing how to use them, or having a handy friend who can help. If you have these resources, then that could save you some money.

Edit: If I recall right, some of the wooden ones were lined with thin metal to reflect heat away. Aluminum foil would do.

Last edited:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lost the apartment but info may be useful for another, but maybe not.