• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like Brandy, you mean?
I feel like Brandy's probably one of the best known songs from that soundtrack, honestly... kind of on par with the Pina Colada song from the first film.

And then Mr. Blue Sky, and My Sweet Lord.

If people know old Fleetwood Mac, then they'd also know The Chain -- but it's not on their Greatest Hits LP, so anyone who got into them at that point might not be super-familiar. The rest I think are more obscure but known if you grew up through that era, perhaps.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
looking at prior film trailers and the music used, and they also did a great job with GOTG2 in terms of cutting a song (The Chain) to support the trailer. Pretty decent trailer for the film.

Same with first film.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I'm already choked up.

Don't fail us, James Gunn!

View attachment 28038

Not sure how much Adam Warlock has to do in this film, he's barely in this trailer, but please let the Gamora thread play out in an honest way.
Rocket is standing a little to close to that sunset for my anxiety lol

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like Brandy's probably one of the best known songs from that soundtrack, honestly... kind of on par with the Pina Colada song from the first film.

And then Mr. Blue Sky, and My Sweet Lord.

If people know old Fleetwood Mac, then they'd also know The Chain -- but it's not on their Greatest Hits LP, so anyone who got into them at that point might not be super-familiar. The rest I think are more obscure but known if you grew up through that era, perhaps.
I'm going to be that millenial and say I wasn't really aware of it until that movie and then I started hearing it everywhere. Which I don't mind because it's a great song.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to be that millenial and say I wasn't really aware of it until that movie and then I started hearing it everywhere. Which I don't mind because it's a great song.
heh, that is fine -- I know I am old (Gen X) so I knew that song when I was a young teen and it was probably 6-8 years old by then.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
heh, that is fine -- I know I am old (Gen X) so I knew that song when I was a young teen and it was probably 6-8 years old by then.
Fleetwood Mac I knew because some of those records used to be on constantly at my house when I was very young. I wasn't even in school yet. It's like Mannequin-grade nostalgia for me which is high praise.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fleetwood Mac I knew because some of those records used to be on constantly at my house when I was very young. I wasn't even in school yet. It's like Mannequin-grade nostalgia for me which is high praise.
:D

For me, I'm kind of embarrassed because I grew up in a very non-rock (even light rock) centered house and felt like i never got exposed to a lot of the bands (prog rock, hard rock, etc.) that were out at the time. A lot of this stuff I picked up as an adult digging back a few decades to explore.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:D

For me, I'm kind of embarrassed because I grew up in a very non-rock (even light rock) centered house and felt like i never got exposed to a lot of the bands (prog rock, hard rock, etc.) that were out at the time. A lot of this stuff I picked up as an adult digging back a few decades to explore.
Mostly for me (other than Fleetwood Mac) it was the Beatles and whatever played on oldies radio. I ended up diving deeper into classic rock on my own. I discovered Pink Floyd like that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Everything still looking good! Good first reviews. No real spoilers I see. Way for Gunn to finally leave the MCU, in a blaze of glory.

TWO WEEKS!
Wellp, I better start hydrating now, this one is gonna make me cry all of the tears, I can sense it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wellp, I better start hydrating now, this one is gonna make me cry all of the tears, I can sense it.

this one is gonna hurt, but I will smile through the pain.

I guess it's time to start watching the prior films to prepare

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Goof, That's a great song/video -- but I was trying to stick with 70's stuff as per Guardians pattern roflmao

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Started my film watch.

Finished Guardians 1 the other day.
Just finished Guardians 2.

Just Infinity War, Endgame, and Christmas Special left.

Guardians is a bit more straightforward. I always liked Gunn's ability to go from something poignant/sweet to something hilarious in a few seconds, or even at the same time. I think the plot is easier to track for folks. Ronan is kind of a one-note character as written, but Lee Pace plays it intensely straight, which is hilarious when Quill does the dance off. Like "What are you DOING????" he's like almost offended (and finds it incomprehensible) someone would ruin his moment of glory by not playing along with his victory. But nice little nuggets along the way: "Star-lord!" Quill smiles: "Finally." // the whole dance off bit. // "We are Groot". And catharsis where we get the opening scene with boy Quill and his dying mom, then what he sees at the end when Gamora says the same thing to him that she did -- catharsis! And then finding out why he calls himself Star Lord. Totally out of the blue and completely spins around the understanding of his character.

Guardians 2 is more complex, structure-wise. Almost every character gets their own full or mini arc of some kind (except for maybe Groot, who is used for comic relief). I think the most unexpected for me was Nebula moving from an intense one-note character in the first film to suddenly becoming much more complex and fascinating, she is being driven by things far different than one expects. What happens with the Walkman actually feels like a death, which is so crazy. (Gut-punch!) That whole last forty minutes has one moment of gut-punching and character arc moments after the next, through to the final quiet ten minutes. I still think Gunn manages to pull off the flipping back and forth, silly (the whole duct tape joke sequence) to really painful. Peter really becomes a man here, he steps up, and gives up everything he wanted to do what was right and also allow his friends to live. The dialogue is just so great through this section. (like, even Nebula -- "This is gonna hurt," says Yondu, and "Promises, promises" she replies -- but it DOES hurt, a LOT -- she is literally strapped in her chair screaming while the ship is taking power from her, and that and everything else is just providing so much intensity.)

Anyway, I'm expecting Gunn to nail G3 and am looking forward to what he does with the DC properties after this.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Started my film watch.

Finished Guardians 1 the other day.
Just finished Guardians 2.

Just Infinity War, Endgame, and Christmas Special left.

Guardians is a bit more straightforward. I always liked Gunn's ability to go from something poignant/sweet to something hilarious in a few seconds, or even at the same time. I think the plot is easier to track for folks. Ronan is kind of a one-note character as written, but Lee Pace plays it intensely straight, which is hilarious when Quill does the dance off. Like "What are you DOING????" he's like almost offended (and finds it incomprehensible) someone would ruin his moment of glory by not playing along with his victory. But nice little nuggets along the way: "Star-lord!" Quill smiles: "Finally." // the whole dance off bit. // "We are Groot". And catharsis where we get the opening scene with boy Quill and his dying mom, then what he sees at the end when Gamora says the same thing to him that she did -- catharsis! And then finding out why he calls himself Star Lord. Totally out of the blue and completely spins around the understanding of his character.

Guardians 2 is more complex, structure-wise. Almost every character gets their own full or mini arc of some kind (except for maybe Groot, who is used for comic relief). I think the most unexpected for me was Nebula moving from an intense one-note character in the first film to suddenly becoming much more complex and fascinating, she is being driven by things far different than one expects. What happens with the Walkman actually feels like a death, which is so crazy. (Gut-punch!) That whole last forty minutes has one moment of gut-punching and character arc moments after the next, through to the final quiet ten minutes. I still think Gunn manages to pull off the flipping back and forth, silly (the whole duct tape joke sequence) to really painful. Peter really becomes a man here, he steps up, and gives up everything he wanted to do what was right and also allow his friends to live. The dialogue is just so great through this section. (like, even Nebula -- "This is gonna hurt," says Yondu, and "Promises, promises" she replies -- but it DOES hurt, a LOT -- she is literally strapped in her chair screaming while the ship is taking power from her, and that and everything else is just providing so much intensity.)

Anyway, I'm expecting Gunn to nail G3 and am looking forward to what he does with the DC properties after this.
Guardians 2 gets the origin story out of the way which is something I tend to the appreciate. (I'm kind of amazed we've been to the well with that with Spider-Man as often as we have.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same Yahoo feed, two very different headlines:

Rolling Stone

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ Is Yet Another Big Marvel Movie Misstep​

Esquire

'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'—Impossibly—Sticks the Landing​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The AVClub is a shell of its former self. I felt like the people who used to write there were extremely knowledgeable about TV/Film and had interesting insights along those lines, and some of them were also hilarious. They would really do deep dives on subjects that would often expose me to something new. I used to check to often check more than once a day. Now it's just gossipy clickbait. (It's a pattern that is sadly not restricted to the AVClub.)

However, you should know that they did give the movie an A-.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that's good to know.

Yeah, comic and film sites have really taken a hit. Reading the articles from places like MovieWeb and CBR, etc., I sometimes wonder if they are written by AI or by people who don't know English. You can kinda get a feel for AI language by the structure and high-level ways of saying things without showing command of details. But the ideas or the thesis of said articles are sometimes misguided or laughable. it's like they're getting the cheapest-paid writers possible just to fill space.

The Taste of Cinema feed that shows up on FaceBook is generally actually pretty good for "list-based" film sites. I remember when AvClub was consider a respectable erudite site for film and tv show analysis. I think at the moment that Vulture tends to be one of the better ones, but they're being a firewall -- I typically have to go into Incognito brower for individual links because you only get one free view.

I looked a bit more at the Rolling Stone guy, skimming his other ratings. he tends to like films that most people hate and hates films that are generally okay. But that doesn't mean he's a bad writer, he just might be someone I don't agree with. Still, I haven't read these articles in much detail because of potential spoilers.

Another awesome headline -- bring the kleenex

20230428_200024.jpg

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I looked a bit more at the Rolling Stone guy, skimming his other ratings. he tends to like films that most people hate and hates films that are generally okay. But that doesn't mean he's a bad writer, he just might be someone I don't agree with. Still, I haven't read these articles in much detail because of potential spoilers.
Have you ever heard of Armond White? He was a critic at the Village Voice who was known for being a contrarian.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you ever heard of Armond White? He was a critic at the Village Voice who was known for being a contrarian.
What, the guy who got into a pissing match with Roger Ebert and said the following about Tar: "When Cate Blanchett, the phoniest actress since Meryl Steep, teams up with Field in his latest film, Tár, the result is a histrionic wingding." He writes for National Review.

Not sure how I feel about him. I'd have to read more of his reviews honestly to get a feel for him. I'm kind of hackles-raised and also amused, seeing at how he disagrees with the general consensus at least half the time, but this doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad critic -- I just need to see if he has a consistent criteria for how to evaluate films and if the criteria makes sense for what he hopes to accomplish.

I've seen that White actually likes most of Zack Snyder's superhero films and even called A.I. one of the best films in the 21st century, and he liked Pig, so... I guess I'd try to figure the guy out a little more even though some of his hatred for certain films boggles my mind.