• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Got a Door Slam I Deserved - should I apologize or leave her alone forever?

writhenwud

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi, guys. I need some advice from INFJs on how I should handle this emotional clusterfudge I've given myself and my former S/O. That and I think I need to unburden myself - my blog's no longer a safe space to do so. Also, yes, you can criticize me - I'm aware how wrong and psychotic I was. I can take it.

I'm currently trying really hard right now to 'get better'. Yes, I know I was being creepy and obsessive and a stalker - yes, I'm going back to my therapist soon to discuss this even more and possibly get my meds changed around. I've started a bunch of new attempts at self-improvement - and you can call me whatever you like, just please don't be condescending and say my feelings aren't real - I can't handle that; I really can't. I feel sometimes like they're not real, but they *are,* I feel more 'real' than I ever have before and I honestly hate it - because the real me's nothing to be proud of. I never thought I was capable of these types of emotions, or even that anyone else was - I honestly always hated love songs; thought they were over-dramatic.

I know I'm immature. I know how it sounds - but the only thing I need to make clear is my feelings on this ARE incredibly real - dorky long-distance love or not, I feel like I'm dying without her. And honestly, that's what I deserve at this point. But, I feel like I have to keep going - the point of life is to make it better for others, even if you're a crazy eff-up like me. That's why I'm here - learning more on typology and focusing on how to make myself a better person.

And yes - this is also a very, very long post. I really needed to make it for myself, but you don't need to read the whole thing or 'TL;DR' at me; you can just skip to my questions at the bottom. All you really need to know is I unforgivably hurt and scared the person I love and there's no going back from it - I just want to know if an apology will be appropriate down the line, or if the only person that would benefit from that is me.

Okay, here goes.

I'm in the most emotional pain I've ever felt in my life - I honestly didn't know an emotion could hurt physically until now. The only person I've ever loved - INFJ - wants nothing to do with me anymore. I'd like to explain the situation to y'all and then I'd like advice on what to do - should I wait about eight months or so and send her an apology, or is that really just selfish of me since I don't think she wants to hear from me again? It would make ME feel better, whether she responds or not. But I'm trying to think in terms of what would be better for her.

So, a couple years ago, I met INFJ through my blog. We share a lot of interests, and at the time she was happy that I decided to befriend her since I was a moderately popular fan artist and a little older than her. (I'm currently 28; she just turned 22.) We eventually began talking on Skype, and she began RPing with me, which is my favorite hobby. We shared a love of very specific things like Fallout and religious characters; etc. This whole thing is murdering me because I'll never have anyone like her in my life again - who else will ever discuss those same topics with me? AND be female, since I think maybe that's what I prefer? AND not disrespect my physical boundaries? What is the likelihood I'll ever feel like this for anyone else? At the point, I don't want it. Never again.

Anyway.

INFJ was a wonderful RP partner; the best I've ever had. After a while, I realized with surprise that I had a crush on her - surprise because I've really never been interested in anyone before, although I've dated males a little (and was usually the dumper after a few weeks.)

I knew she liked girls, but I still sorta figured my feelings were fantasy - she was around 20-21 at the time and by far a beauty compared to me (not fishing for compliments; it's just one of those factual things no one could argue if they saw her.) Plus, when we finally met up in-person at a convention, I was dressed very unattractively as a male character and balding (I have alopecia.) But, then - we were talking, and she bopped my hip. And I began to think, maaaaybe. Just maybe.

A few months later, I told her how I felt. It was extremely awkward - I hadn't planned on doing it up until five minutes before it happened. I wasn't sure what she'd do. She reacted with confusion and said she'd had no idea, but it wasn't a *bad* reaction. A couple weeks later, she asked me to be her girlfriend, which I delightedly said 'yes' to.

The first couple weeks were really amazing. We lived six hours apart, but we stayed in touch easily through the computer. She was the first person to completely respect my boundaries - I go to therapy for an intense sexual phobia/repulsion (I've had some issues with a few guys in my life; it's not important to this story except that finding someone who doesn't mind the issues that crop up from this is REALLY a problem for me), and she always asked before kissing me and didn't mind that I didn't want sex - some of the people I dated in my past tried to pressure me or went too far.

I felt like I could tell INFJ anything, and I did. I told her about my issues with Pure O (type of thought-based OCD; I become obsessive over things, people, and intrusive and unpleasant thoughts) but it didn't scare her off. She told me about her Borderline Personality Disorder - I thought that was perfect. My mom is BPD, and I'm used to the rapid emotional changes. Maybe I'd be good for her; sort of a stabilizing figure - I guess looking back on this, I may have been some sort of rescuing a-hole. But at the time, it was sort of like, 'ahhh, fate!'

My therapist was a little worried about it because according to him, we're 'on opposite sides of the emotional spectrum.' He's diagnosed me with Asperger's, although I don't think I really have that - I think that's just my INTP-ness; it can be a little surprising in females I guess.

I knew she was INFJ from her blog and I read up a lot on the type and also BPD - I wanted to understand her inside and out, and thought I really did - I didn't. That was ego.

I wasn't worried about the door-slam aspect of INFJs until she decided to door-slam her then-best friend/sister/ex (I'll explain that in a sec.) It was really shocking for me, because as long as I'd known her, they were glued to one another. She explained to me that this girl was a horrible friend to her in private, and when she described the emotional and physical abuse, it stopped worrying me as much - this was a positive thing for her to do. This other girl's family had taken INFJ in when her dad died and legally adopted her - she'd lived with them a number of years. During that time, her then-best-friend/sister would do things like cheat on her boyfriends with her and even hit her. She constantly put her down. She was just now beginning to gain the confidence to get rid of this person from her life since she now had a girlfriend and another new friend.

The problem came that after she door-slammed Old Best Friend, she became very, very depressed. Getting rid of OBF also meant getting rid of OBF's parents, whom she loves and misses. She also missed the fun and spontaneity she'd had with OBF - she said as much as she loved me and her New Best Friend, neither of us could replace OBF.

At first, I listened pretty well. After a while, it became more difficult - I've written a novel and I had some interest from agents, but I had to make a lot of changes for them, fly to NYC and all this stuff that took forever. I also began sleeping a LOT more than normal - I thought this was due to stress over the book. I began to be not as-there for her emotionally; as well, I really was confused about how to deal with it. I didn't know if she wanted me to try to distract her or talk it out with her, and she wouldn't answer that question when I'd ask. I ended up usually trying to distract her.

We went to a convention together, and it was later I found out I'd upset her then - I didn't know this, but she'd been really excited about us dressing up together, and instead, I asked to go home early, slept a lot, and was a little dull. I thought she knew why - I told her I was really worried about my book and how much I was sleeping instead of writing, and now we were doing this and my anxiety was through the roof. But she later told me she thought I wasn't having a good time because of her.

I also met her New Best Friend and NBF's fiancee, who I'd been excited to meet, but she seemed a little stand-offish towards me - I think it's the age difference. They're barely out of their teens.

After that, things changed a little with me and INFJ. We had our first argument, which I didn't personally think was a big deal but she carried that with her for a while. She also complained that I had become submissive toward her since the argument, which I hadn't really noticed - to me, I was just trying to avoid needless conflict over stuff we were always going to disagree on (social stuff, like politics, feminism, etc - she calls herself an MRA and I'm actually ok with that; there was just always stuff we weren't going to see eye-to-eye on and why bring it up?)

She also started talking more and more about NBF and hanging out with her constantly. This didn't bother me at first; we were long-distance and I figured it was great she had NBF to hang out with rather than OBF and maybe she wouldn't be so depressed.

Not so. It seemed like her depression only got worse, and I did become a little sad and jealous because she wasn't talking to me or RPing with me nearly as much as she used to. The way I handled this was to tell her I was lonely - she apologized and acknowledged she was 'neglecting' me (her words, not mine - I just wanted to talk to her; RP more).

Looking back, I should have realized her feelings for me were dissipating. I just rationalized it as she was depressed and missed her OBF. I was/am still starry-eyed over her, and figured I'd just wait out this time and things would go back to normal.

Still, I must have figured out she was upset with me about something, because a little over a month ago, I told her I didn't feel like I was there for her enough emotionally. She agreed with me, and said she didn't understand why I always talked about these people and situations I was empathetic towards, but was never empathetic towards her. I apologized and promised to do better - and I did. I tried to talk with her about everything. I bought gifts and made her slide shows about the kind of person she is and how much I love her. I also finally went to the doctor and got diagnosed with untreated severe asthma - the reason I had been sleeping so much was that I didn't have enough air getting to my brain, and I got a LOT better after I started handling that. I was so happy - I was with the girl I loved and I was showing her.

But, still. It seemed like nothing I was doing cheered INFJ up. I now know it was already too late and she probably had already made up her mind on dumping me, but I didn't get it at the time - this is VERY much my first (and only) love.

To me, she just wasn't opening up with me emotionally anymore. She didn't give me her usual amount of sympathy when I told her about my asthma - I actually took the way she responded as condescending. 'You don't deserve asthma,' was all she said.

I finally told her I was worried; she didn't seem to care like she used to. She rarely did anything to show me her feelings - back in the day, she was drawing me pictures and telling me how 'perfect' I was, and now I didn't get anything anymore, except when it seemed like she felt she had to. For example, I'd often greet her with 'ahhh the most beautiful girl in the world is talking to me!' and she'd respond with 'well, you're not talking to a mirror, so that can't be true.'

I think after being too distant I then became smothering... which is another form of control, or insecurity. I drew her characters, wrote her little soliloquys on how I loved her, told her that her 'good mornings' were my favorite part of the day. I told her it didn't seem like she cared for me as much anymore. She responded that, 'look, I love you. You and NBF are like the only people I say 'good morning' and 'goodnight' to. I'm sorry I'm down lately.'

I took her at her word - she'd shared so much with me before. Of course she loved me. She also constantly made it a point to tell me she never lied and hated liars - OBF was a liar.

Still, it wound down further; I was finally getting more of the 'danger' signal through my dumb skull. The day before she dumped me, I asked her a very specific question. 'Do you still see me romantically?'

She responded with, 'I love you and I can imagine spending the rest of my life with you. But do I see you romantically? I'm not sure.'

I said that was ok - perhaps we'd eventually be more like sisters than anything else. It was similar to stuff in our RP; our characters were best friends who fought a couple times and abandoned one another but would eventually become like brothers to one another. I asked her if I could still be romantic towards her, and she said 'dude, you're fine!' (I reeeeeally should have gotten it then...) instead, I sent her flowers.

The next day, she was in a bad mood, and she seemed to purposefully pick a topic of conversation that I would disagree with. She'd complained again very recently about my 'submissiveness' so I thought, okay, she wants a fight. I can do that. So I argued with her this time. (It was nothing personal, I felt - this argument was over Millenial attitudes or something.) I really should have realized this was the wrong decision, though. She left the conversation and when she returned to it, she wrote me a fairly long breakup message. In it, she tried to be kind and soften the blow with the whole 'it's not you it's me' thing, but the only thing I zeroed in on was a part where she said that 'look, I appreciate how you're trying harder lately, but I don't think it's really in your nature to be empathetic and I don't think you need someone as negative as me in your life.'

I.... overreacted. Honestly. I've never felt like that before. I was devastated. I know it seems obvious now, but I honestly and truly hadn't expected her to dump me just like that - I thought she'd discuss it with me and we could fix anything that was wrong.

I threw up. Twice. Didn't eat anything for two days.

This whole next part's kind of a blur - I'm not even sure how many weeks it's been since this happened. This is the part where I eff everything up - I'm not certain in how short or long a time.

When we first got together, we talked about how even if we ever broke up, we'd always be wonderful friends. I took that very, very seriously - I was basically in denial, and tried to talk to her as much as before. She really didn't want to, though. No good mornings; no good nights.

I was in agony - the person I usually whined to wasn't available for my whining anymore.

I immediately took to my blog and wrote about how miserable I was, how this was like a physical pain, how I couldn't eat, sleep, etc. It was really pitiful and 'woe is me.' It was true to how I felt, but I shouldn't have done this, since she was a friend on my blog and could see all of this. She talked about feeling awful.

I really had no idea emotions could feel like this - I thought people were always exaggerating over heartbreak. I felt like I'd had an arm ripped off. I couldn't talk about it with my family or friends since they didn't approve - I didn't know where to talk about it. However, posting this stuff where she could see it was perhaps a passive-aggressive attempt at control...?

I... really am unsure of all my motivations at the time. I wanted sympathy and I wasn't getting any, that I know for sure. When I wrote about my devastation that she'd so quickly taken my name off her profile when it'd taken her weeks to take OBF's name off after she was dumped, her NBF posted a message of 'oh my f*** lord' which I assumed was directed towards me. I directed my next post towards NBF, and said 'I saw that, friend. I understand; I'll leave her alone.' I later messaged NBF directly and asked her if we could still be friendly as she seemed upset with me. She told me her message had been about a game she was playing and not directed toward me at all. I didn't believe her and still don't but decided to go with it. I asked her to take care of INFJ - she responded with 'don't worry, I will.' This actually just shot my paranoia and depression through the roof. It sounded to me like they'd discussed it and decided that it would be best if I were no longer a part of her life like I used to be.

I attempted to smooth things over, but just made it worse - I blogged the 'if you love someone set them free' quote with a smiley face, but then NBF immediately unfriended me. I started obsessing over what she and my ex began to post - stuff about people who 'vague blog'; etc. The ones that really wounded my pride was stuff like 'don't treat people like shit then play the victim later' and worst of all, a post about 'explaining to your ex why things didn't work out' with a picture of a guy talking to a dumpster. At the time, I still had a lot of ego and thought I should've been given more of a chance, since I had been feeling awful for the past couple months and had started doing a lot better in terms of giving her attention. (Now that I think about it, this constant attention was probably smothering and another control attempt?) But in my head at the time, I hadn't ever hit her or lied to her like OBF. I wasn't garbage.

This next part is bad. I tried talking to her; sent her several long messages about how I was changing things for the better, which she didn't respond to. It'd also been her birthday and I'd already bought her presents before the breakup, so I began mailing those. One of them was tickets to a band we both like - I'd hoped we could still go see them, and she said 'yes'. Maybe things would get better, I thought. I was still desperate and felt like I could fix it somehow - I was in denial.

I wrote her another message about how I considered her my sister, and could we just have that kind of relationship, then? Like our characters in our RP. I also remembered how she'd complained to me that neither me nor NBF could replace OBF, since OBF was just so spontaneously fun - she'd take her for surprise road trips, etc. and so I asked her if she'd like me to take her on one since she's been so sad lately. She answered with 'please, I've never had someone act this way after a break-up and I'm afraid of what to say to you' and I told her 'just say it; I'd rather know.'

Which that was true - I wanted to know how she really felt, if she wanted me in her life at all, or if I should just go.

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. I shouldn't have bothered her like that. I did anyway - I wanted to hear it from her. It was then that NBF messaged me, reaming me out - said I was creepy, a psycho and a stalker. I was sad and agreed - I hadn't realized I was SCARING INFJ and I've been stalked before and should have realized what this seemed like. I had figured it was okay since I was asking if I could do stuff and wasn't doing anything without permission like this one guy had done with me, but I should have figured this was a real problem on its own. I should have taken her silence as her 'no'. NBF told me to leave INFJ alone and that I didn't deserve anything from her, that she herself didn't ask for friendship after a relationship ended, not even respect. I told her I would, but it was a lie - I only stopped talking to INFJ directly.

What I wanted was to see if INFJ REALLY felt this way about me or if this was just NBF's interpretation, since NBF assured me her message was only from her, and had nothing to do with INFJ. What I wanted was for things to blow over like in our stories, our RPs together - our characters had beautiful adventures and even after all they'd been through, ended up more like brothers. In my mind, I thought, 'those stories meant so much to me. They have to mean the same to her.'

So, dumbly, paranoia-edly, psychotically - I made a new profile and began asking her questions about the posts I thought were about me. This was really stupid and desperate and I was half-aware it wasn't going to work and it was far too obvious, but I was sooooooo scared about being cut out of her life, especially since she wouldn't speak to me and had blogged a post about 'if you support others cutting people out of their lives when they need to, don't get mad when it has to be done to you.'

In a way, I did get what I wanted - a direct answer.

She called me out publicly on her blog. Called me a psycho and a stalker, said I behaved like a toddler after she dumped me. Said her NBF was thankfully familiar with these signs, showed her how often I'd refreshed on her page (...tbh I always did that even before the break-up; it's distressing how obsessed I was and didn't even consider that outside of the norm), and that I was basically what I always hated - the female version of a friend-zoned creep.

You know, in a way, being publicly called out was good for me. It was what I wanted, in a way - I wanted to know what she thought of me, in her own words. And it was all true - although it took me a week or so to really sit down and sort out how all this had happened and what I had done.

I guess what really hurts now was the hate I drove her to, not the door slam. I deserve it, I know - but just the fact I've driven the person I love to hate me is what kills me inside. I'm depressed that she unfriended me everywhere and will never talk to me again, sure - but I need to stop caring about that in terms of ME and start caring for the people I love in a healthy way, in a way they can trust me. I don't go on her page at all anymore - I don't want to further betray her. I actually keep having a reoccurring nightmare that I go back on her blog and wake up panicking that I've betrayed her again - but thankfully, I haven't.

I know she's never going to love or even like me again or even speak to me; that's consequences and you reap what you sow. But I do REALLY want to apologize - I just don't know if I SHOULD. I don't want to scare her or dredge up bad memories for her. What I would do is wait maybe 3-8 months then send her an apology email. If I do send her one, I'm not sure if I should make it long or short.

But, heck - maybe it'd be better not to send one at all. Is the best respect of her as a person to not ever contact her again, since that seems to be what she wants? Or would she prefer an apology down the road, when she's not afraid of me like... idk, coming over for a 'surprise road trip' randomly or something (I'll never do that or contact her in person at all; I never intended to scare her and at the time I thought she knew why I thought that'd be a good idea, but now I know how it came across and she's probably afraid I'm going to actually do it.)

I guess here's my questions in condensed form.

1. Should I apologize at all, since it's pretty clear she wants nothing to do with me. It perhaps would only benefit myself?

2. If I do apologize, would it be better to do it after three months, six months, eight months? Even longer? I *really* don't want to scare her again.

3. If I apologize, and whenever I do it, should I send her a long explanation-style email or just an 'i'm really sorry i'm a psycho and I only wish you well in life' type-thing?

What do y'all think, INFJs? And yes - you can 'yikes' at me. I'm a monster-freak and I didn't deserve her. I'm crazy and she needs stability. I know. I'm working on it; that's why I'm here. That's why I wanted to ask your opinion on the apology - if it would be nice for her, or only nice for me. If it's only nice for me, then I'm not going to do it - I'm tired of selfishness. I want to be good to her.

I really hope I get some replies to this, even if it's just hate - it's better than silence or awkward condescending pity toward a really effed-up person.

Thank you so much. I'm really wanting to do the best thing now - this is at least a learning experience for me.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. From what I'm guessing you don't really need to. It's better that you leave her alone.

2. Wait until she responds, I don't care what the time is, if you get emotional.. wait until you're able to respond to her calmly. Also accept the fact you may never hear from her again. If she does respond, talk to her like an old friend don't bring up the issue unless she brings it up but don't make any moves on her either.

3. N/A

I say work it out with your therapist, forget about her and find something new. Looks like this INFJ has a lot of problems that you don't need to handle. It's going to be tough yes, but focus on real life and your priorities right now. Find people in real life to talk to. Online relationships can last long but they're too charged because the sense of illusion is real.

Forgive yourself. Don't commit self-hatred, it only makes your life worse and possibly hers.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. Agreed with Forever, it's probably best to just leave her alone. Even if it's an apology, she's going to see it as more of the same behavior (as in, it will still scare her). I don't think she would appreciate being contacted even for an apology.

2. If you ever do apologize, it needs to be after she's contacted you first (if she ever will, which she may very well not).

3. If you ever have the opportunity to apologize, I would keep it brief (and try to leave out the self-depreciation like "Sorry I'm a psycho"--I'd keep it more like "I'm sorry for how I acted and that I upset you and that things didn't work out for us, I wish you the best in your life").

Honestly, I understand that what you're going through right now must be hard because you still have those feelings for her, but I really think that it wouldn't be wise to contact her anymore even to apologize. And I'd work through your feelings with your therapist as best you can. From what you've written here, it sounds like she's no longer comfortable associating with you, despite past promises to remain friends. To continue contacting her (for any reason, including an apology) is just going to upset her even more. So unless she tries to talk to you at some time in the distant future, I think what she wants most is not an apology, but to just be left alone.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This thread made me realize I have BPD.

So, thank you for that.

Apologies are more for the giver than the receiver. Do what you feel led to do, and don't worry so much about how she will take it. If she is that brittle, nothing you do or don't do matters much anyway.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Only someone new will get her out of your system.
It's hard yes, but it works.

Regarding the rest, frankly I can't judge from one individual's perspective.
I think the 'no sex' thing is kind of an issue. Most people won't want to get into a relationship that never involves sex.

Because then it's not a romantic relationship.

Secondly, talking to her more as you said will not help at all.

Thirdly, and that's a different experience. I once dated an INFJ, she broke up with me, in any case, the point is she wouldn't just tell me why honestly because 'she didn't want to hurt my feelings'.
Ti users tend to value truth over feelings. So I kind of obsessed about that, as I hate being bullshitted to. I finally, after a very long time, got an honest full answer from her and that was kind of liberating. So perhaps it's what you're / you were looking for : to understand.

*shrugs*

writhenwud

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks, guys. I'll probably not contact her - that should be easier six months or so down the line which is when I would. Glad to hear your opinion :)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think the 'no sex' thing is kind of an issue. Most people won't want to get into a relationship that never involves sex.

??? ?? /? you can have romantic relationships without sex and sexual relationships without romance. I don't see how it would be an issue if it was something they had talked about previously. It also doesn't seem to have any relation to where OP and her ex's problems arose.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
I am so sorry. That sounds truly awful. I know you don't or can't believe it right now but several of your beliefs are simply false. No, she is not the only one out there for you. No she is not the best one out there for you. You have no idea who is out there for you, that is the truth. I just hope you come to see that in the coming months as you work through all this. For one thing, if you were sick and she was unempathetic, surely that shows you this is not just about you. She seems to have trouble with close female relationships. Just take this as a learning experience. I know how difficult that seems at this stage. But do let yourself grieve until you can come to the point where you can look at the situation objectively, see not just your mistakes but hers too, and then you'll be able to move on. The person you are intended to be with is still out there. Just work on yourself and try to be happy alone. But I really am so sorry. Few things hurt nearly as much as this. :hug:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
??? ?? /? you can have romantic relationships without sex and sexual relationships without romance. I don't see how it would be an issue if it was something they had talked about previously.
No you can't.

It also doesn't seem to have any relation to where OP and her ex's problems arose.
Yes it has.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only someone new will get her out of your system.
It's hard yes, but it works.

Regarding the rest, frankly I can't judge from one individual's perspective.

Secondly, talking to her more as you said will not help at all.

Thirdly, and that's a different experience. I once dated an INFJ, she broke up with me, in any case, the point is she wouldn't just tell me why honestly because 'she didn't want to hurt my feelings'.
Ti users tend to value truth over feelings. So I kind of obsessed about that, as I hate being bullshitted to. I finally, after a very long time, got an honest full answer from her and that was kind of liberating. So perhaps it's what you're / you were looking for : to understand.

*shrugs*

I'll add on that and say that, it's a case of sexual incompatibility. And one cannot make anyone do anything or convert them into "you". And the OP can find another puzzle piece that will fit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the INTP side of things:

tl;dr I agree with what else was said, about it being better to let it go at this point.

nalia

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
First observation is that I can see why you'd be a successful writer, most long posts of this nature are tortuous, yours was readable! You're also really kicking yourself about your emotional issues. At least you take responsibility for them and go to counselling, loads of people don't, they just dump it on others and don't reflect. All of us can go a bit crazy as a result of particularly difficult relationships, we just behave differently. You'll no doubt feel less bad about yourself after a bit more time has passed, you probably know that anyway.

In response to your questions
1, 2 and 3 - I wouldn't bother thinking about wording an apology until a couple of months have passed, at that stage you might not feel the need to, best to focus on getting back to your writing etc then you'll feel more harmonious in yourself, more grounded (at least that's what I find with creative projects). Don't know what your subject matter is, but maybe this experience could inspire your writing?

I've just joined this site, but I took interest in your post as your ex/friend is an INFJ and my closest friend of 25 years is an INFJ. (also most of the women in my family are NFs - I'm a female ENFP and have been for over fifteen years). In my experience INFJs or NFs in general are incredibly kind and compassionate, but the introvert aspect will obviously make a person more likely to withdraw, which as you describe you both did at different points. (I'm afraid I know very little about your own type, INTP, but I suppose the withdrawal will be triggered for each of you for different reasons, sounds like the INFJ felt you hadn't empathised as much as they'd wanted, but then you also need to withdraw when tired or busy, maybe dont feel the need to emote/talk about stress in the same way?)

INFJs also tend to have a few very close friendships and in my experience they can shift around. It's almost as though the INFJ can't handle managing a few intense relationships all at the same time. The successful friendships seem to be those where there's a balanced mix of intense conversation and pleasant relaxing activity where you can 'switch off' together (i.e. walking, music, cooking whatever you do for fun etc). I'm very mindful indeed about that with my dear INFJ friend. Sometimes they give and give without realising they're draining themselves, and you have to actively remember to step back and give them space. Then offer a chilled out experience they can enjoy with you later.(as an ENFP I know it's worth it because they're completely 'there' emotionally when we meet up again). Sounds like you did offer that experience with the tickets, but as you say yourself you didn't give her space at that point due to your ongoing inner turmoil.

You say your ex/friend has been diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder. That causes people to drop friendships and take up new ones quite suddenly. Then reverse that etc. They call it 'splitting' - either demonising or idealising someone they're attached to because if they're hurt they find it incredibly hard to reconcile the person hurting them with their idealised image of the person, so they demonise to reject. Well it's a bit more complicated, but you can research it thoroughly online.

The entire experience sounds incredibly intense, involving people who experience and act on intense emotions. As if that's not enough to be dealing with, social media then exacerbates the whole thing because you're dealing with distanced communication where you don't see the real feelings and reactions etc. If you focus on that you can only second guess what's really going in someone's mind.

I'd focus on tangible understanding and results, reading through your personality type, counselling, writing, learning. In time this person may seem far less significant to you, though I would not be at all surprised if, after a few months, she reaches out to you and wants to talk again. Next time though, you'll be more aware of the pitfalls and triggesr each of you experience.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No you can't.

Yes, you can. The majority of people would prefer to have both, but not everyone. Asexuals can find fulfilling relationships that don't involve sex and they aren't any less valid than sexual relationships. I dont think we are ever going to agree on this.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, guys. I'll probably not contact her - that should be easier six months or so down the line which is when I would. Glad to hear your opinion :)

I think you are beating yourself up an awful lot here. You're grieving right now and the most important thing is to take care of yourself. The end of any relationship can be traumatic but a first love especially so. The heartbreak can be excruciating. These things just take time to get over. Someone suggested to jump into another relationship. I don't think that's the best idea because it just delays the processing and you can end up hurting that person you used to help you get over them. I would wait a little.

As the the letter - I agree with Aphrodite - it's more for the sender than the receiver and you don't owe her anything. She's the one who hurt you. One potential thing is that the act of writing it can cause you to obsess about this even more when the healthiest thing is just to let go. It's very good you are seeing a therapist. I think you just need to have people around you who can support you right now.

Good luck and hope you feel better :hug:

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm myself suffering from depression and I've had a fair share of shit done to me since I was a child.
My ESTJ boyfriend has been far less concerned about my emotional world compared to you towards your girlfriend, and he has rarely been asked to be there for me emotionally. He's semi-obsessed with his career, and he enjoys things done his way. But I'm still with him, for believing that he cares but just doesn't know how to show it.

You don't sound like a bad girlfriend to me. You messed up, but you have your problems too and you have been trying to cope. Don't beat yourself up over her. Truth is, everybody fucks up in relationships, but not everybody does their damnedest to make it better. You have.

Just remember that, just don't try to get her back for your own emotional benefit. It's selfish. If her being without you is what makes her life less difficult then that's the option you have to take.

One thing I believe that's childish in your relationship is your need for debating / talking about big stuff.
I was like that too to my first love. What is it all for? I don't see happy, old couples who are married for 30+ years debate on politics and feminism and gender equality to the point they get mad at each other. You need other outlets for that need of yours.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
As the the letter - I agree with Aphrodite - it's more for the sender than the receiver and you don't owe her anything. She's the one who hurt you.

Sounds like that really irresponsible "person centered therapy" that was mentioned in another thread: nooooo, you're not to blame - she hurt you!

well, why do you think "she" hurt this person? maybe because this person deserved it?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like that really irresponsible "person centered therapy" that was mentioned in another thread: nooooo, you're not to blame - she hurt you!

well, why do you think "she" hurt this person? maybe because this person deserved it?

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but @highlander is right on this one that OP isn't the one to blame really. I too got the feelings from what I read was the OP had was too harsh on herself and it did seem the INFJ was kind of crazy and unstable and irrational in many ways. That's why for #1 I wrote she didn't need to apologize. :D

But I managed to remain neutral in my advice that would work both ways technically provided I haven't actually seen what was going on and never knew the INFJ myself.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
An INFJ doorslammed me once right in the face, I ended up in the hospital and there's a dent on her door vaguely shaped like my face. At least I made my mark. :coffee:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Regardless of what her MBTI type is, the fact that she suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder is no laughing matter at all. BPD people can only see people as either all good or all bad, with no shades of grey in between, and this can cause a lot of stormy relationships that go from extreme idealizing or a distraught witch hunt. It seemed healthy at a glance when she doorslammed OBF since that old friend literally abused her; however, she might have went trigger-happy and decides to doorslam anybody and anyone who cannot live up to her sky high standards. This really isn't your fault, OP.

Also, don't freak out, but I am willing to bet that she and her so called ~new best friend~ are romantically involved and probably cheated on you with that other girl. That's what poaching is. If you can convince an attached partner that their partner ain't all that, then you win. :dry:

Honestly? Don't contact her ever again. I know you feel guilty, and maybe you've done some mistakes, but it is time to find forgiveness for yourself from yourself rather than seeking it out from somebody else, especially from somebody as emotionally unhealthy as INFJ is. It's just not worth it. She has shown you that she is not a good prospect in terms of being in a long term relationship with. She lied to you, she has poor communication skills, and was probably unfaithful to you. Now is the time to find love and kindness within yourself in order to get better and find another person to have a healthier relationship with. You deserve that and more, OP. Hope I helped? ;)

writhenwud

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I appreciate all the different insights on it. This has definitely been a learning experience.