• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Quotations which are generalizations or some other cognitive distortion. They then are false positivisms or wives tales.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Quote: “Love your enemies, for they tell you your faults.” Benjamin Franklin

“It is true that if triggered by someone, one can self reflect. One can identify an issue of their own that was triggered. One can then choose to handle the situation in a more rational manner.

This quote is not 100% truism though. Their can be someone or some entity that is anti-ethical to everything one stands for.

There are those who step over the lines, cross boundaries and even do illegal acts. This quote is not true when we went to war against Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

There was no lesson to be learned. Rather we had to hold accountable these warring nations.” LightSun

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“All human unhappiness comes from not facing reality squarely, exactly as it is.” The Source says Buddha (I’m not so sure).

“I am aghast Buddha would say this. I don’t know if he actually did. This is patently false. Incest, rape, child abuse, domestic violence, the list of horror does continue.

It is true that we can make a bad situation worse. This is a false positivism which people will buy into. At least those who don’t use critical thinking and with judicious discernment. It does great harm.

A quote like this that people actually believe contributes unknowingly and in an unconscious fashion toward a blame the victim mentality.

I’ve seen the great harm and the ignorance spread by quotes such as these. In one of my posts i actually had a person say, “Depression can be overcome. All it takes is to let go of the ego and go to therapy.”

I am intellectually aghast at this specific quote. I have the data and research of Resiliency Studies and the 40 Developmental Assets for raising a child with a foundation.

These assets help increase the odds the child will have good self esteem and good mental health.

According to this scientific study 2/3 of all children who grow up in a dysfunctional household for the rest of their lives have issues in at least one of these areas.

Mental Illness, Substance Abuse, problems with Jobs, and relationships. 1/3 somehow beat the odds. I’d hypothesize they have excellent mental health genes and that they had a caring adult figure outside the home as a source of inspiration.

Coaches, teachers, big brother, big sister, etc. As a perfectionist most of my life I know overcompensation is not necessarily healthy. I now am not so much a perfectionist but rather I give attention to detail.” LightSun