• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facebook,Instagram WhatsApp down.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
For me all of this is just a part of the trend that is about how US is falling apart. Regardless of what you think about the trend it is evidently there.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weird, I don't remember experiencing any shortages yesterday. Normally I am scanning my feed regularly through the day on my smartphone. Still I was involved in meetings yesterday afternoon at work and then just played WoW for a few hours, so did I actually not use FB for that time? It just seems odd to miss an entire outage.

I doubt the hearings will change anything. FB is too convenient for many and there is no obvious replacement that is equitable.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I use WhatsApp for family chat so we noticed early. If you're not really invested in the FB ecosystem (FB, Instagram, WhatsApp) and don't use other social media (Twitter, Reddit) it'd be hard to notice.

When FB bought WhatsApp I was pissed, because I knew what it meant, and this is one of the consequences of monopolistic conglomeration. Instagram to a lesser extent, though I use that far more than FB now. FB is for old people and suburban/rural moms in MLMs. And vaccine research, of course.

I find FB interesting as a business. Most young people hate it, it's growth is largely concentrated overseas, and its growth in its demographic targets is mostly due to Instagram or other acquisitions. It's pretty poorly positioned for the future, as it's a destination rather than a portal like Google. But it's also huge and entire businesses architect themselves around its ad model and network graph. So how can you leave? I expect it to get more aggressive/illegal in its hunger for youth data. Better to take it however they can and pay whatever fines rain down from weak governments as those fines won't even touch the value of the data. Just a cost of hegemony.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I use WhatsApp for family chat so we noticed early. If you're not really invested in the FB ecosystem (FB, Instagram, WhatsApp) and don't use other social media (Twitter, Reddit) it'd be hard to notice.
I wouldn't notice anything if it were not from the news.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Facebook faces wrath of EU lawmakers working on online content rules

It is no secret that on the eastern side of the Atlantic lawmakers don't like totally free market approach for big tech. Therefore this is coming almost as "restaurant order": what you want and when you want it.
So what will happen? Fine them? This is what Europe did with Google, like any amount fine matters? Unless you're looking to fire FB and all its appendages into the sun, anything else is pointless.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
So what will happen? Fine them? This is what Europe did with Google, like any amount fine matters? Unless you're looking to fire FB and all its appendages into the sun, anything else is pointless.

In normal times they would just fine them by a large sum and that would be it. Plus there are already plenty of laws that prevent all kinds of practices that are legal in US (as the article indicates).

However in current times I am not 100% sure that it will end just on that. Especially since the block wants to have it's own tech independence as much as possible. Not to mention that the block wants to build it's own FB for a whole bunch of reasons. Therefore in combination with this there could some serious fade outs down the road. Especially since many already see the company as something that is bad for the social stability and it is evidently introducing foreign toxic elements (like the anti-vaccine stuff)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've fired them, or more accurately, never hired them to begin with. I could always tell it was a very slippery slope over which the user had little/no real control. Same with Google.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8

When FB bought WhatsApp I was pissed, because I knew what it meant, and this is one of the consequences of monopolistic conglomeration. Instagram to a lesser extent, though I use that far more than FB now. FB is for old people and suburban/rural moms in MLMs. And vaccine research, of course.

I find FB interesting as a business. Most young people hate it, it's growth is largely concentrated overseas, and its growth in its demographic targets is mostly due to Instagram or other acquisitions. It's pretty poorly positioned for the future, as it's a destination rather than a portal like Google. But it's also huge and entire businesses architect themselves around its ad model and network graph. So how can you leave? I expect it to get more aggressive/illegal in its hunger for youth data. Better to take it however they can and pay whatever fines rain down from weak governments as those fines won't even touch the value of the data. Just a cost of hegemony.
This makes sense, so for the Bahamas (which is a small island) Whatsapp is the main source of instant messaging mostly because it was free to begin with and very few people could afford Iphones. So in truth most of the information country wide gets spread by Whatsapp. Businesses rely on it heavily as well. So it was immediately noticed. If any major event goes on here its on whatsapp because we only have one very limited Tv station that only shows news at certain times. I think that they know that the younger generation will move away from Facebook , the kids today think that its a joke, most use tiktok or roadblocks , Ive even seen them on discord more.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Facebook faces wrath of EU lawmakers working on online content rules

It is no secret that on the eastern side of the Atlantic lawmakers don't like totally free market approach for big tech. Therefore this is coming almost as "restaurant order": what you want and when you want it.

Jourová: Facebook whistleblower vindicates EU approach to Big Tech

This is continuation of this story. Therefore I am far from certain that nothing big will happen to FB (at least inside the block).

ZackWry4

I will never believe that all these networks will go down together as a coincidence, especially when something bad about Zuckerberg's life is going on. I truly think it's time to stop being surprised by this news. However, we still have to admit this man who controls everything we are doing online, and we have to admit that he has helped us a lot. We can contact anyone from anywhere whenever we want. Moreover, if you want to make money while surfing on Insta or Facebook, it's easy. Start buying followers from 1394TA and then post content daily.

Last edited: