• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram: Logically Fallacious

Apeironstella

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, interesting.

I've mainly seen the 3x3 version of Enneagram being how people respond to three different emotions (fear of unknown (head), anger of having your boundaries crossed (gut), shame over not being worthy of love (heart)) and three types in each center being a reaction to said feeling- internalizing (4,5,1), externalizing (2,7,8) or both/neither (3,6,9) rather than claiming it's every possible core fear of people, so much as it being a system focusing on some of the essential fears, though each type also does have an association with additional core fears that wouldn't neatly fit on that 3x3 grid, so that's a fair point too.

But any typology when they make claims of basically being equivalent to actual psychology research/that they can solve your genuine mental/emotional health issues do cross a line from fun pseudoscience to being something that can keep people from seeking genuine help they need that rationalizations made out of what some random people (since any typologist is that at the end of the day, regardless of how good they supposedly might be at reading people, including the "teachers/originators" of any typology) thought must be their neurosis, yeah.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it is just as with Jungian type - it becomes unjustified once it is too rigid. I think having degrees of each type pattern makes more sense. I do think there are ways each pattern has difference in focus enough that some end up more powerful influences than others.
I probably have strong 3, 4 and 6 influences.