• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Dr." Phil McGraw

ygolo

My termites win
What do you think about this show?

I had a friend of mine who read his book "Self Matters" a long time ago and recommend it. I skimmed it and decided to pass as too simplistic for anyone who has real mental health issues. My friend agreed with my assessment of it.

I just recently saw clips of the "Dr. Phil" show (which I knew was going on, but I never payed much attention it).

I just saw the clips the on Nebula channel "Big Joel", and I an disgusted by it (which may have been the goal of "Big Joel").

"Dr. Phil" may be worse than Jerry Springer was in bringing out people with problems to be a spectacle for the audience.

What do you guys think?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haven't really watched him recently, he's been around for years.

My impression from watching and reading is that he's a failed psychiatrist because he wasn't happy with people changing at their own pace; he doesn't really have the patience or compassion for that. He's much happier just "telling them like it is" and then moving on, he likes to feel like he has more control and the freedom of being blunt without really even need to involve himself much.

AKA a bit more about his own ego than therapeutic. And yeah, he seems to go for some sensational situations.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
"Dr." Phil, is a different incarnation of Jerry Springer but with a serious non ringmaster aesthetic.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What do you think about this show?

I had a friend of mine who read his book "Self Matters" a long time ago and recommend it. I skimmed it and decided to pass as too simplistic for anyone who has real mental health issues. My friend agreed with my assessment of it.

I just recently saw clips of the "Dr. Phil" show (which I knew was going on, but I never payed much attention it).

I just saw the clips the on Nebula channel "Big Joel", and I an disgusted by it (which may have been the goal of "Big Joel").

"Dr. Phil" may be worse than Jerry Springer was in bringing out people with problems to be a spectacle for the audience.

What do you guys think?
This. I mean his staff must look for the most sensational stories as I doubt he'd have a show without it. I just find it exploitive, as are most things in the reality TV genre. I sometimes wonder if mental illness itself pushes people towards celerity doctors or if they can't get help and resources any other way and this is a last ditch thing. Which is a nauseating reality about the US.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don’t really take him seriously. He pissed off a lot of people in the neurodivergent community back when he had an episode featuring an autistic kid and a kid with Tourette’s. The episode was advertised as “extreme disorders.” He accused the autistic kid of throwing tantrums and showed little willingness to understand the condition or the sensory issues that might lead to said tantrums and meltdowns. The whole thing sensationalized conditions that are already misunderstood by much of the public. It did little to further public awareness and may have actually had the opposite effect. Shameful.

His advice for various people seems uninsightful and comes from outdated boomer bootstraps thinking. For example, If he has a drug addict on, his advice is delivered in that exaggerated drawl and tends to be obvious stuff like “if you’re an addict, then you need to get it together and you need to stop using drugs.” Well, duh, genius

He doesn’t really help people so much as he makes his primary audience feel better about themselves by chastising and sensationalizing human train wrecks on national TV in a soothing accent that makes them feel like he is a source of old timey common sense wisdom. I think he’s a hack and a grifter who harms more than he helps

Last edited: