• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does infinity exist? Or is there a biggest number?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It's generally taken for granted that you can go on counting forever. In mathematics there's even the idea of infinities of different sizes, eg there are more real numbers than rationals.

Analysis as a field of mathematics seems largely to do with infinite sequences which are linked to whether a set is open or closed.

However, I don't believe in infinity. I believe there is a largest, and smallest number.

"But what happens if you add one to the biggest number?". You get the same number. The ordinary rules of arithmetic no longer apply, and the numbers have to be given as formulae.

I can't take analysis seriously because of its focus on the infinite.

I wish there was more of a controversy over this and that maths was being done with a hypothesised biggest number.

I think the idea of infinity is merely a hypothesis, and the alternate hypothesis of a biggest number needs to be given serious consideration.

Last edited: