• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Blonde" Adaptations or Comparisons

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I have not watched this on Netflix (2022, almost three hours long). Armas' performance seems to be highly rated, but the film itself is just getting slammed. Has anyone seen this to comment on it? Considering how long awaited the film was + all the promotion?

I think the weird thing is the following:
  • The book of same title it is based on apparently was a finalist for a Pulitzer and is considered to be one of two books that the writer (Joyce Carol Oates) will be remembered for. It seemed to have much better reviews when it released. The book itself was acknowledged to make good use of its fictional nature to then create wholesale an internalized thought process for Marilyn.
  • There was a TV adaptation in 2001 that doesn't seem to have drawn this level of criticism, where the director apparently cribbed right out of the book. (I also recognize many of the names in the cast.)
  • Dominik (the director) actually made "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" which I have seen on many art-house style lists as an impressive film that I've been planning to see for some time. (The other film I recognize from his roster, I've seen both be praised and slammed -- "Killing Them Softly".)
Does anyone have insight and/or have watched this, to comment constructively? I've definitely seen a few comments about certain dream sequences which didn't sound very great at all, but.... just curious. I might or might not watch it later. Is it just the zeitgeist of the times now, the film cannot be made today in our cultural environment but was acceptable 20 years ago? Or are there significant changes?

What makes it different from the actual source book or the prior adaptation?