• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Biscuit baking -- it's all in the flour?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My INTP best friend got me into Good Eats over Christmastime last year, & Alton Brown mentions this flour that’s exclusive to the south... he couldn’t mention the brand, though.

While you can’t get White Lily up north, if you follow Alton Brown’s technique in the video, & the recipe below it, you may finally get some wonderfully fluffy buttermilk biscuits even without it. I’ve succeeded with plain old all-purpose white flour. I’ve also done well with 50% all-purpose flour & 50% Bob’s Red Mill White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.

[media]

Recipe:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My INTP best friend got me into Good Eats over Christmastime last year, & Alton Brown mentions this flour that’s exclusive to the south... he couldn’t mention the brand, though.

While you can’t get White Lily up north, if you follow Alton Brown’s technique in the video, & the recipe below it, you may finally get some wonderfully fluffy buttermilk biscuits even without it. I’ve succeeded with plain old all-purpose white flour. I’ve also done well with 50% all-purpose flour & 50% Bob’s Red Mill White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.

[media]

Recipe:
During COVID, you could get White Lilly up north. Small bags, only AP but they did have it for awhile.

I have my sister in law bring it up from Cincinnati for me - Self rising, white cornmeal blend and their pound cake mix is also great. The best biscuits I've ever made are just the self rising flour and heavy cream and they come out perfect every time.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
During COVID, you could get White Lilly up north. Small bags, only AP but they did have it for awhile.

I have my sister in law bring it up from Cincinnati for me - Self rising, white cornmeal blend and their pound cake mix is also great. The best biscuits I've ever made are just the self rising flour and heavy cream and they come out perfect every time.
Oh man, thanks for this. I would love to find some in New England someday, just to try. Maybe I can look around online...