• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me video! >.<

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
So I've been studying micro-expressions in relation to typing and I noticed something interesting about your eye movements.
(Disclaimer: I am brand new to this and not an expert)

Here is a good resource for examples of micro-expressions and what Jungian functions they are associated with:
INTJ & INFP Coffee
- YouTube

What I'm noticing in you is that your eyes tend to look upward and dart around when you are thinking. You don't seem to engage much with the camera, and if you do, it's brief and not intensely focused. When you "focus," you seem to have lateral micro-movements, meaning that you don't seem to pause on a single spot for more than 1-2 seconds, and if you do, there are noticeable tiny left-right movements. This suggests Ne-Si, respectively.

The micro-movements associated with Ni-Se are different. Ni favors looking down and move slightly laterally but moves more than Si (it will still look up sometimes like Ne, but it doesn't dart around wildly). Se on the other hand is known for intentional still contact and looks very intense. It really "attaches" to its subject and just sits there.

Here is a video done by an INFJ here, and you'll notice that she makes intense still eye contact with the camera, and when she is thinking, she generally looks down and moves her eyes a bit side-to-side (Ne, Ni, and Si all look "out-of-focus" compared to Se, btw). She does look up sometimes, but she generally doesn't dart around wildly for more than a second or two.
Ask The Forsaken Anythang.

Here is the video specifically for Ne vs Ni eyes: Typing via Micro Expressions: Ni vs Ne Eyes - YouTube

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I could totally be incorrectly assessing you, btw. I was watching these videos for research and spontaneously felt like sharing the info... I might eat my above words after a few more videos. :newwink: Either way, I recommend that YouTube channel.

beloiseau

I could totally be incorrectly assessing you, btw. I was watching these videos for research and spontaneously felt like sharing the info... I might eat my above words after a few more videos. :newwink: Either way, I recommend that YouTube channel.

I really enjoy that YouTube channel. The two of them make for an interesting/entertaining dynamic!

So, with assessing me, how is that developing your thoughts?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I really enjoy that YouTube channel. The two of them make for an interesting/entertaining dynamic!

So, with assessing me, how is that developing your thoughts?

I think I need more time to observe examples before I could accurately determine functions in others. I find this fascinating though.

I've had to back away from my knowledge of functions because I realized it had become too close, too personal and therefore not subjective enough. Also, there are WAY too many stereotypes and a TON of misinformation being tossed around on forums. I digress... my point is that I've backed away from typology in a manner which allows me to look at it more subjectively because I realized I didn't have a firm grasp on accurate function definitions.

I still think it's plausible you are INFJ, but INFP could be possible too (which sounds like it doesn't make sense, hence the need for more research on my end).

beloiseau

I think I need more time to observe examples before I could accurately determine functions in others. I find this fascinating though.

I've had to back away from my knowledge of functions because I realized it had become too close, too personal and therefore not subjective enough. Also, there are WAY too many stereotypes and a TON of misinformation being tossed around on forums. I digress... my point is that I've backed away from typology in a manner which allows me to look at it more subjectively because I realized I didn't have a firm grasp on accurate function definitions.

I still think it's plausible you are INFJ, but INFP could be possible too (which sounds like it doesn't make sense, hence the need for more research on my end).

I do have a longer video answering the full questionnaire (I had done it months before the one here and hadn't remember the questions or my answers, hence why I used the same questions for these videos). Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I do have a longer video answering the full questionnaire (I had done it months before the one here and hadn't remember the questions or my answers, hence why I used the same questions for these videos). Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

Sure, you can PM it if you'd like and I'll go through it after I do some more research.

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
Question: Do you suffer from fatigue / brain fog / headache?. I had to ask.
I haven't watched the entire video but you definitely use Fe. You're an introvert, the movement of the eyes...I do the same, it's as you're looking away as to not let the surroundings distract your thoughts. When you think, you are using all your effort. I'll watch the rest of the video, but for now you're either an INFJ or ISFJ. Btw I think I'm an INFJ and I really identify with your facial expressions.

beloiseau

Question: Do you suffer from fatigue / brain fog / headache?. I had to ask.
I haven't watched the entire video but you definitely use Fe. You're an introvert, the movement of the eyes...I do the same, it's as you're looking away as to not let the surroundings distract your thoughts. When you think, you are using all your effort. I'll watch the rest of the video, but for now you're either an INFJ or ISFJ. Btw I think I'm an INFJ and I really identify with your facial expressions.

Headaches? Yes. Brain fog? Kind of. More like a foggy feeling from sudden realization of my life. Does that make sense? Fatigue, yes. I don't think that has much to do with cognitive functions, though. Do you believe it might?

I think when I look away to think I'm waiting for the answer to "come to me". I'm not consciously mulling through it all. It's kind of like a sifting through my thoughts without being aware of the direction I'm being taken. Then, it formulates into words. I just realized that it's as if my mind is translating my thoughts to words without me having active participation of the process. Make sense? I struggle digging through my thoughts and it seems I sometimes need "triggers". There might be a lot going on "behind the scenes", making it hard for me to understand how I reach a conclusion.

I'm sorry that it actually sounds like I'm purposely telling you stereotypical Ni things. It's the truth, though. I think.

I feel really dumb at times because I have SUCH a hard time recognizing how my own mind works. People will ask questions such as, "How do you make decisions?" I don't really know. Lol

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
Naah, the fatigue, headaches and brain fog don't have to do with cognitive functions. I only asked because it seemed you have trouble fetching thoughts and although I am familiar with some people taking their time to think, I thought something underlying was going on, and I sort of could see myself in the way you were expressing yourself, so I figured you also experience some difficulty fetching thoughts because of fatigue / brain fog because it does that me. It slows down my cognition.

Hmm, this could be Ni, though I don't fully relate to this description. I read somewhere in this thread that you think you're either ISFJ or INFJ, and I also read that you have researched the functions so you are familiar with them. The question you need to ask is "which process do I prefer" You have to observe yourself. Trace down your tought processes. There has to be a way to find out why you had the thoughts you had. Another question out of curiousity and because I sense we're somewhat in the same boat so maybe you can help me haha? Do you relate to my thread called "I'm 90 % sure I'm an INFJ but I need a someone's opinion" and is this a description of Ni to you? If you relate and think this is Ni, then I have helped you I hope because then you're an INFJ and it also helps regain some of my confidence of being one (because people are disagreeing with me on the description of Ni). Now if you're still not convinced, I'd be happy to try separating Si and Ni for you, as I was struggling between the two myself for a while.

beloiseau

Naah, the fatigue, headaches and brain fog don't have to do with cognitive functions. I only asked because it seemed you have trouble fetching thoughts and although I am familiar with some people taking their time to think, I thought something underlying was going on, and I sort of could see myself in the way you were expressing yourself, so I figured you also experience some difficulty fetching thoughts because of fatigue / brain fog because it does that me. It slows down my cognition.

Hmm, this could be Ni, though I don't fully relate to this description. I read somewhere in this thread that you think you're either ISFJ or INFJ, and I also read that you have researched the functions so you are familiar with them. The question you need to ask is "which process do I prefer" You have to observe yourself. Trace down your tought processes. There has to be a way to find out why you had the thoughts you had. Another question out of curiousity and because I sense we're somewhat in the same boat so maybe you can help me haha? Do you relate to my thread called "I'm 90 % sure I'm an INFJ but I need a someone's opinion" and is this a description of Ni to you? If you relate and think this is Ni, then I have helped you I hope because then you're an INFJ and it also helps regain some of my confidence of being one (because people are disagreeing with me on the description of Ni). Now if you're still not convinced, I'd be happy to try separating Si and Ni for you, as I was struggling between the two myself for a while.

Just because you don't relate to the description does not mean it isn't "Ni". Ni will manifest differently in every user, but it almost always creates a lens of everything being built on a foundation. The foundation typically is what holds the meaning behind everything.

I don't relate to your thread. Mainly due to your verbiage, but also somewhat the content. What you describe as "your Ni" sounds a lot more like a description of Ti-Ne, but then you go on about how evident your Fe is in yourself. I'm not too sure of your type but I don't think it's INFJ.

I've ruled out ISFJ. I was doubtful because I was not observing my own thoughts enough. An Si dom is not constantly observing their assumptions for the future and like things that make them feel comfortable--familiar things. Sounds stereotypical, but it's true. The way Si works as a function creates these tendencies within individuals that have high Si. The only other type I could be considering at this point for myself is xNTP. It's the only thing I've been typed as (by someone with actual knowledge of the theory apart from dichotomy) aside from INFJ. Even then, it's rare for me to get an answer aside from INFJ. Am I positive? No. It's a theory--meaning there is absolute, indisputable way of determining your "official" type. We just have to figure out which type framework made of interacting functions we fit into best.

You sound a little too confident in your type without giving substantial reasoning behind why you believe to be said type.

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just because you don't relate to the description does not mean it isn't "Ni". Ni will manifest differently in every user, but it almost always creates a lens of everything being built on a foundation. The foundation typically is what holds the meaning behind everything. I don't relate to your thread. Mainly due to your verbiage, but also somewhat the content. What you describe as "your Ni" sounds a lot more like a description of Ti-Ne, but then you go on about how evident your Fe is in yourself. I'm not too sure of your type but I don't think it's INFJ. I've ruled out ISFJ. I was doubtful because I was not observing my own thoughts enough. An Si dom is not constantly observing their assumptions for the future and like things that make them feel comfortable--familiar things. Sounds stereotypical, but it's true. The way Si works as a function creates these tendencies within individuals that have high Si. The only other type I could be considering at this point for myself is xNTP. It's the only thing I've been typed as (by someone with actual knowledge of the theory apart from dichotomy) aside from INFJ. Even then, it's rare for me to get an answer aside from INFJ. Am I positive? No. It's a theory--meaning there is absolute, indisputable way of determining your "official" type. We just have to figure out which type framework made of interacting functions we fit into best. You sound a little too confident in your type without giving substantial reasoning behind why you believe to be said type.

I didn't say you don't use Ni because I didn't relate, I only said I didn't relate. And I know, the post wasn't very well written and perhaps I repeated myself alot? I didn't bother to structure my thoughts too much. I just wrote down the thoughts as they came.
Ok, so you think it sounds more Ne-ish too? I'm not over confident, but I am confident because I have read a beautifully written book on typology called "My true type" and I have spent hours and hours researching the functions, watching videos, analyzing myself, and looking at the history of my behavior. However, I am always open to changing my mind, but you'll have to convince me. You have to point out what part of the post was Ne-like, otherwise I'm going to have trouble being convinced. The way I see it there's basically three possibilities:

1) I communicated my thoughts on Ni poorly, resulting in misunderstanding
2) I am wrong and I am actually describing Ne, regardless of communication style.
3) The mistake is on your part, not mine.

You said my reasoning wasn't substantial, but realize I cannot present to you every reason why I think I'm an INFJ...it would take too much time. I summarized the most important parts (namely identifying whether I prefer introversion / extraversion, and my dominant and auxiliary function. I prefer introversion because I look inside myself and I prefer my own inner world, not the external. So I must lead with an introverted function. I then found the function I related most to (Ni / Si / Ti / Fi), I concluded with Ni. I quickly identified with Fe and it is very clear I use it, despite what I said about being religious. Fe is my auxiliary function.)

I'll try to describe Ni again, using the book mentioned as help:
Ni finds hidden meanings, insights, theories and patterns by using sensory information gathered by Se. Ni somehow connects all the Se data and gives the final result in the form of a sudden insight / image in the user. Ni is convergent in nature; the user of Ni prefers forming one single conclusion. The book mentions that Ni users resemble a "top-down" approach, meaning the first perception comes from the mind of the user not from the senses first. Example: You are looking at a painting, but the first thing you notice is what your mind associated with that painting. It's as if you have already made a conclusion on what the painting is depicting (top). After the associations are made, you then start looking objectively at the painting and start breaking it down to the individual components (down).

Ne looks for connections between ideas in the present. The associations are made using Si according to this book. Ne interprets broadly from greath depth of Si, while Ni interprets narrowly from greath breadth of Se. Ne resembles a bottom-up approach (perception starts directly with the stimulus / sensory data and is not affected by the users past knowledge / impressions). The author says Si knowledge of "what is" is used to come up with what could be. But I have trouble understanding how Si, being a perceiving function, cannot alter the perception.

To be honest I got a little confused because Ni likes to converge but at the same time it prefers a top-down approach? I think maybe the author means the Ni user uses Ni to automatically converge (sees the impression / big picture first) then diverges and tries to logically back up these impressions using a rational function? while an Ne user's first choice is to diverge, look at all the possibilities and then put them together in a way that is reasonable? It does not appear to me that he is suggesting both Ne and Ni are convergent and divergent.

This is interesting but the author said it has not been carefully studied:
Ni is introverted and deep in nature, so an Ni user tends to lower his eyes in a fixed downwards gaze as if he is looking down a tunnel and converging his thoughts.
Ne is extroverted and broad in nature, so this means an Ne user tends to look side to side as if the thoughts are spreading all over.

With all this being said, I think Ni seems to fit me better but there is a hint of doubt. I need to analyze my thought processes even more than I have done before if I am to be completely sure.

Last edited:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Why do INFJs overanalyze so much? It's like we don't want to miss a single piece of information, or exclude a single possibility without mastery first. It also seems that we don't necessarily trust our own conclusions because it's difficult to map out how we got there, so we're always trying to double back to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was speaking specifically of self-typing, but I think this goes for everything with us.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi there, I'm watching your video, and I think you are IEI (in socionics) for sure. As far as MBTI goes, INFP fits. J/P is a huge divide, and you don't come off as a J to me at all. I feel like a bit of a jerk for not wanting the whole thing, but INFP is just so blatant for me I feel no need to continue lol.

beloiseau

Hi there, I'm watching your video, and I think you are IEI (in socionics) for sure. As far as MBTI goes, INFP fits. J/P is a huge divide, and you don't come off as a J to me at all. I feel like a bit of a jerk for not wanting the whole thing, but INFP is just so blatant for me I feel no need to continue lol.

Are you going by dichotomy or cognitive functions?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

If I make a video, will you watch it?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you going by dichotomy or cognitive functions?

I was going by both. You just scream socionics Ni to me. But that is most likely not helpful to you if you're seeking MBTI... just a suggestion to check into INFP potentially.

- - - Updated - - -

If I make a video, will you watch it?

Sure! Considering a thread?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was going by both. You just scream socionics Ni to me. But that is most likely not helpful to you if you're seeking MBTI... just a suggestion to check into INFP potentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure! Considering a thread?

I haven't made one yet - I'm shy/nervous.

But it will likely be in my Salty Buddha thread under private blogs. I could try to remember to tag you?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION] - I do already have a visual typing thread up with photos though. I know... less accurate. But it's there for consideration.
I'm fascinated by visual typing. I want to get into it.