• INTP

18 47.37%
  • INTJ

20 52.63%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Default What Type is Haight?

Alright. . . it's go time! . . . just kidding.

First, a little background:

I was originally tested around 21 by a friend of mine who was in a psych PhD. program and wanted to use me as a testing guinea pig for her Jungian theory class. And after a very long test and a series of oral questions . . . she declared that I was an INTP, told me what that meant, and I filed it away for a few years - although it struck me as an excellent explanation for why I am the way I am. Additionally, I recall feeling relieved that there were other poor souls that were suffering the same fate as I.

A couple of years past, then ran into typology again via a book. I took the test at the end of the book. . . and scored an INTP with a weak P. Next stop, I was working on a research paper where I was attempting to make a connection between personality types and political positions (along with a few other things), found the site, took several tests. . . started scoring either INTP with a weak P, or INTJ with a weak J. And that trend has continued up to the present.

Last bit of information: When I take the Cognitive Processes test, my P/J has fallen 51/49 to the J-side the last few times. And - this probably explains my interest in playing sports throughout my life - I'm a very strong N, I, & T, but I have a highly developed Si and Se as well.

With all of that, I bid you luck. Because I believe the answer is complicated, although the question seems rather simple: What is the difference between an INTP with a weak P and an INTJ with a weak J?

Good luck. And thanks for your help.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

heart on fire

INTP with developing Fe shadow. Or so says this INFP with prickly, irritating Te shadow...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I ultimately ended up going by what I scored first, which is INTJ.

The theory part can make you lose perspective. so maybe you should do the same?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Alright. . . it's go time! . . . just kidding.

First, a little background:

I was originally tested around 21 by a friend of mine who was in a psych PhD. program and wanted to use me as a testing guinea pig for her Jungian theory class. And after a very long test and a series of oral questions . . . she declared that I was an INTP, told me what that meant, and I filed it away for a few years - although it struck me as an excellent explanation for why I am the way I am. Additionally, I recall feeling relieved that there were other poor souls that were suffering the same fate as I.

A couple of years past, then ran into typology again via a book. I took the test at the end of the book. . . and scored an INTP with a weak P. Next stop, I was working on a research paper where I was attempting to make a connection between personality types and political positions (along with a few other things), found the site, took several tests. . . started scoring either INTP with a weak P, or INTJ with a weak J. And that trend has continued up to the present.

Last bit of information: When I take the Cognitive Processes test, my P/J has fallen 51/49 to the J-side the last few times. And - this probably explains my interest in playing sports throughout my life - I'm a very strong N, I, & T, but I have a highly developed Si and Se as well.

With all of that, I bid you luck. Because I believe the answer is complicated, although the question seems rather simple: What is the difference between an INTP with a weak P and an INTJ with a weak J?

Good luck. And thanks for your help.
    The problem with a P/J split is it makes a totally different function extraverted...so the two should feel quite different to outsiders.

INTP has the perceiving function extraverted, so others will see Ne.
    INTJ has the judging function extraverted, so others will see Te.

So.... get some descriptions of Ne and Te and ask people who know you well which they see most on the surface..(or indeed try to self assess it)

(this approach might help you if you can't in itself split the two directly as it approaches it from a different angle)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

You rub me as an INTP, but I dunno why.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Honestly, I always thought you were an INTJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    So.... get some descriptions of Ne and Te and ask people who know you well which they see most on the surface..(or indeed try to self assess it)
    I'm a little confused. Isn't determining his type more about looking at descriptions of Ti (dominant function of INTPs) and Ni (dominant function of INTJs) rather than the auxiliary functions of Ne and Te?

MBTI
    INFP

Development of this function tends to come later in life (about midlife) after you have grown and feel comfortable with the dominant and auxiliary. As you grow and develop, you learn that there is a time and place to use your third and fourth functions. About this time, the question arises in life, is this all there is? The tertiary function can guide you toward areas of your life you have avoided, areas that require skills you do not feel comfortable using. For example, a Thinking type with tertiary Intuition may begin taking literature courses. A Thinking type with tertiary Sensing may begin doing carpentry or weaving.

My MBTI Personality Type - Understanding MBTI Type Dynamics - The Tertiary Function
    This might explain it, notta.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I'm a little confused. Isn't determining his type more about looking at descriptions of Ti (dominant function of INTPs) and Ni (dominant function of INTJs) rather than the auxiliary functions of Ne and Te?
    The reason I suggested picking out the extraverted function is because it might help with the split - after all, the extraverted function is what everyone sees most because it is how they interact with the world. That's why an INFP and an INTP may feel similar on the surface (spacey, basically), and only really distinct in a medium that lets you get at the inner them (like a forum that accesses their thoughts/feelings), and by the same measure an INTJ and ISTJ may feel similar on the surface (a bit cold, logical)

So... to bring this together, an INTJ has Te on the surface for people to see, and an INTP has Ne on the surface for people to see. The dominant functions are introverted and only accessible with difficulty for anyone but Haight.

I don't deny that it's worth trying to get at whether one of Ti or Ni is what dominates for Haight's own "self", but given the difficulty he is having on the P/J split, it's worth recognising that the PJ split is the one (and the only one) that changes the type of function that is on the surface and extraverted for people (like you) to see (as P puts the S/N on the surface, and J the T/F on the surface).

As an aside, with an extravert it's easier of course, because the extraverted function would also be the dominant one.

Hope that helps!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Honestly, I always thought you were an INTJ.
    Same. :/