First 12

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    OR - they are simply a dichotomy of preferences, and the rest of that stuff is pure speculation, spoken as if it's written in stone.
    Typology itself is pure speculation and none of it can be tested or proven. What's your point?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

OR - they are simply a dichotomy of preferences, and the rest of that stuff is pure speculation, spoken as if it's written in stone.
    Some people like to pass off their opinions as fact.
    In the end, people leave the conversation with nothing but a bunch of bullshit.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Some people like to pass off their opinions as fact.
    In the end, people leave the conversation with nothing but a bunch of bullshit.
    And some people like to ignore what's actually been written and invent everyone else's beliefs for them.

We all have our guilty pleasures, don't we?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Typology itself is pure speculation and none of it can be tested or proven. What's your point?
    Point is, a preference for one thing over another is a factual thing you can learn about a person. Now, obviously somebody could lie about their preferences, but for the most part, something like "I prefer solitude" vs. "i prefer lots of people around" is something you can learn about a person. So a person may arrive at "I'm an ISFP" through something like, taking the MBTI, or by believing the descriptions to fit best, and all of that mess that you said about knowing their internal whatsamadoodles could be entirely wrong. It's a giant leap to make with not that much to support it.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Point is, a preference for one thing over another is a factual thing you can learn about a person. Now, obviously somebody could lie about their preferences, but for the most part, something like "I prefer solitude" vs. "i prefer lots of people around" is something you can learn about a person. So a person may arrive at "I'm an ISFP" through something like, taking the MBTI, or by believing the descriptions to fit best, and all of that mess that you said about knowing their internal whatsamadoodles could be entirely wrong. It's a giant leap to make with not that much to support it.

If you are saying that MBTI is subjective evaluation of who you think yourself to be at the core, then yes that's true. Can it be objectively proven? That would depend on how good you are at research.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

There's a lot more to support it than you might think without really having taken the time to study it in depth.

The four dichotomy preference thing is not all that clear cut or objective, either. There's no certain definition of exactly what constitutes S/N or T/F or J/P in terms of behaviors, either--the test relies on self-report. The best you can get out of it is learning about how that person sees himself.

But how you see yourself might not be consistent with how you actually are--which leads to a whole mess of typing issues. The other three scales are not nearly as easy to understand or interpret as E/I, so I don't see how you can argue that this system has any more objective validity than Jungian functions. It still runs into the inevitable problem of interpretation.

The only answer is that all of this is purely subjective and up to interpretation, including MBTI four-preference dichotomies.

I resisted learning functional theory too, because it seems really long and convoluted at first, but it provides a nice foil to MBTI's type designations if you give it a chance.