User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Se awakening?

MBTI
    xNFJ

Default Se awakening?

I think my Se has just kicked in, and I really like it. I'm noticing little things everywhere, have been reading street signs and noticing where roads lead for the first time in my life, am somehow interested in what people around me are doing, am struggling not to stare at strangers out of curiosity and I think I understand what my great uncle meant when he said he didn't know how people could get unhappy when 'there's always so much to look at'. I thought this was odd at the time. Who wants to look at things all day? Now I suddenly get it. Just one drawback. By the time I got home today I thought: that's how a large number of the population sees the world all the time, and what the heck are they seeing when they look at me?! Never used to think about my appearance much.

Does this sound like Se?

If so, Se rules!!! If reincarnation is real, I'm asking to come back with it as my dominant or supporting.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Not really... Noticing where they lead, and processing that they lead somewhere involves N. Reading the signs is definitely still N. Se would just appreciate the colors on the sign, the reflectivity of it, perhaps the shape, or notice whether some of the letters were faded. You know, things like that. Se could be drawing your attention to smaller details of your environment that you immediately process with N, however.

Se would be more like noticing how something looks, feels, or sounds, and not doing any further processing, just experiencing it "as is." I don't really enjoy that, but I can do it if I have to in order to accomplish something.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by xNFJiminy View Post
    Does this sound like Se?
    Not to me... for me it's manifested as an almost sudden onset of sensuality. I always used to live in my head and enjoyed/suffered a rich fantasy life. Now, I want to live my impulses in the real world... and my senses won't take no for an answer.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by xNFJiminy View Post
    Does this sound like Se?

If so, Se rules!!! If reincarnation is real, I'm asking to come back with it as my dominant or supporting.
    The signs bit is Se... but it sounds more like unification of different functions. To see what is and to see what it means at the same time is a total rush. The clarity, the world... it suddenly seems in sharp focus. Everything leads somewhere and it's a profound feeling of meaning and connectivity.

Or so I think, from what you have said.(edit If so, it's going to be more than just one function, although it is heavily Se based. I notice the strangest things at times, but that other side you describe - the clarity and meaning - is rare indeed.

MBTI
    xNFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    The signs bit is Se... but it sounds more like unification of different functions. To see what is and to see what it means at the same time is a total rush. The clarity, the world... it suddenly seems in sharp focus. Everything leads somewhere and it's a profound feeling of meaning and connectivity.

Or so I think, from what you have said.(edit If so, it's going to be more than just one function, although it is heavily Se based. I notice the strangest things at times, but that other side you describe - the clarity and meaning - is rare indeed.
    I think that's what I mean. It was on the train and bus journey that I became aware of that sort of feeling. I was trying not to think too much about it at the time in case it disappeared. It was sensual, as annii says. There was a rush, and it was from noticing a certain kind of beauty and significance in everything around that I usually don't, and from thinking there's an extra source of pleasure in life that I never knew about. Usually I admire dramatic and atmospheric sights, that have light-dark contrasts or mists or clouds or woods with their air of mystery, but other than that they escape my notice.

I was also proud that I might actually start becoming aware of things that I really should be, like nearby locations and routes and where things are around my own house. That would make me much more efficient and confident. I don't have to always alternate between my own thoughts and connecting with other people. I can look out the window now and then. My head will also be a richer place to live for this, I feel. Perhaps that's where it comes from. At this stage of my life, it's time to start taking in the world afresh for Ni to work on, but without seeing it all merely as thought fodder. It's like I've gone back to early childhood, when there's an infinite amount to take in and you haven't begun to filter most of it out yet. It's purer. I feel purer.

This probably reads like a mid-life crisis, but it can't possibly be that yet. However, I have been getting used to not seeing myself as a child any more, which is quite a major life milestone. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm confused, isn't the world always like that all the time?

MBTI
    xNFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm confused, isn't the world always like that all the time?
    Not for me. I notice just enough of my surroundings to keep alive and functioning adequately. That's not to say I'm disinterested in everything outside of myself, but important information is usually filtered down to its most basic workable form before it reaches my mind, e.g. That is bus stop > bus there now > Get off bus > Back to fantasy-land until something more inspiring goes on out there. And usually I don't automatically deem locations and names important, even though on conscious reflection I know they are.

MBTI
    TiSe

Linda Berens booklet gives some good examples of using Se, but yes xNFJiminy, you are experiencing Se from this description below:
    Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it. Extraverted Sensing occurs when we scan for information that is relevant to our interests, then we mentally register data and facts such as baseball statistics, the locations of all the restaurants in town, or the names of all the actors in the popular television shows. There can be an active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Associated behaviors include eating a whole box of chocolates for the variety of tastes; playing an instrument for hours with pure enjoyment, not for practice; voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Linda Berens booklet gives some good examples of using Se, but yes xNFJiminy, you are experiencing Se from this description below:

Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it. Extraverted Sensing occurs when we scan for information that is relevant to our interests, then we mentally register data and facts such as baseball statistics, the locations of all the restaurants in town, or the names of all the actors in the popular television shows. There can be an active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Associated behaviors include eating a whole box of chocolates for the variety of tastes; playing an instrument for hours with pure enjoyment, not for practice; voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics.

Umm... I do things in the bolded words all the time...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

"There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it."

I know I do this every time I experience the outside world. It can be problematic because I have everything stored in my mind as pictures and videos, but if I don't know the right labels, I can't communicate anything to people.