User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: SPs Inner life

  1. #1
    Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    595

    Question SPs Inner life

    I once read in David Keirsey's work that SPs don't like or don't care to talk about their inner lives, and that this will always create tension in NF-SP relationships.
    Strangely enough, when I look back, I realize that as an INFX Healer/Counsellor, I've had tons of SPs (often the most extraverted popular types) coming to me for advice and sharing very personal things even if I barely knew them. I was always surprised to discover that inner life in them and to discover that they trusted me so easily. Then again, NFs are always everybody's psychologists, aren't they?
    I suppose those were mostly SFPs. What do you SPs have to say about this? Certainly the ISFP has a rich inner life?

  2. #2
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    I once read in David Keirsey's work that SPs don't like or don't care to talk about their inner lives, and that this will always create tension in NF-SP relationships.
    My opinion is that this was Keirsey's personal/theoretical bias, and that it didn't accurately reflect SPs. I've found that Keirsey was more often wrong than correct.

  3. #3
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Define inner life.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  4. #4
    Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    My opinion is that this was Keirsey's personal/theoretical bias, and that it didn't accurately reflect SPs. I've found that Keirsey was more often wrong than correct.
    I agree with you. I prefer Myers-Briggs. It's way more objective.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lightyear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    903

    Default

    One thing I found with some young SPs is that they are so distracted by the outer world that they don't think that deeply about their emotions. If I asked them about their strengths and weaknesses or how they would characterise themselves they would look at me blankly like it hadn't occured to them before to think about such things, they were just not introspective.

    However I have also known especially SFPs who are very aware of their emotions and will talk about them openly.

  6. #6
    Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Define inner life.
    Worries and fears, philosophical questions, spiritual yearnings, being aware of one's emotional needs and thinking about it.

    My sister-in-law is a quite talented and intelligent ISFP and we can have very good conversations about theology sometimes. About what God shows us (we are both Christians, so I guess that helps), about doctrine, about what we understand of people's ultimate spiritual and emotional needs, etc. Sometimes I wonder if she isn't a little N on the sides. Her father is a NT.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Not that I don't think about 'philosophical questions and my spiritual yearnings' at all - I do every once in a while.

    I just really don't think they are important.

    I brought my car to be inspected and failed. I need a new muffler and my flex pipe is shot. Should I get new headers with flex pipe attached and install myself or just get a new flex pipe and get the guys at the muffler shop to put that in? Should I get a cat-back exhaust, or just get a new muffler? Or just get something from the scrap yard to save $?

    Thinking about my spiritual yearnings won't solve my problems.

    Who cares.

    My mom is an INFJ - she wastes an inordinate amount of time debating unanswerable questions. I, on the other hand, know there isn't an "answer" to the emotional/spiritual/whatever existential question, so I just ignore it and go about my daily business.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  8. #8
    Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Not that I don't think about 'philosophical questions and my spiritual yearnings' at all - I do every once in a while.

    I just really don't think they are important.

    I brought my car to be inspected and failed. I need a new muffler and my flex pipe is shot. Should I get new headers with flex pipe attached and install myself or just get a new flex pipe and get the guys at the muffler shop to put that in? Should I get a cat-back exhaust, or just get a new muffler? Or just get something from the scrap yard to save $?

    Thinking about my spiritual yearnings won't solve my problems.

    Who cares.

    My mom is an INFJ - she wastes an inordinate amount of time debating unanswerable questions. I, on the other hand, know there isn't an "answer" to the emotional/spiritual/whatever existential question, so I just ignore it and go about my daily business.
    Here's a T speaking
    No, I doubt STPs would care about emotional inner life.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Yeah I often share these things with my INFs the SP/NF connection is pretty amazing

    Edit. In fact NFs are the only ones who bring out the more emotional side of me

    Also agreed with keirsey not being objective, only thing I really like is his description of ESTPs even though I don't think he fully understand us on a deeper level

  10. #10
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    No, I doubt STPs would care about emotional inner life.
    To the contrary! I completely agree with Bamboo about the unanswerable questions -- they are usually worthless, and only interesting to a certain point. However, I carry a rich emotional and spiritual inner life within, which I have been developing and seeking to understand for most of my adult life. But instead of directing my beliefs about the unanswerable questions, my inner life directs the tactics of everyday existence, and helps me be more open with my emotions.

    I suppose you are right in that I don't usually discuss my inner life with many people. Probably because I see it as something fragile, to be guarded. But I think that has more to do with some trauma in my early childhood than with my personality type.

    Edit: LOL, look what I found: Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective

Similar Threads

  1. The Inner Life
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ, inner life a little too rich?
    By littledarling in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 02:23 PM
  3. Which type has the richest inner life?
    By ajblaise in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 08:03 AM
  4. [SP] SPs and life development
    By Grayscale in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 07:44 AM
  5. Celebrating the Rich Inner Life
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO