User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Post NTs and Obsessive Bouts of Research…

I know that every so often I'll find a topic (most recently antisocial personality disorder in the medical field, of all things), and start researching said topic intensely - day and night - for a certain period of time. Usually it lasts about three weeks or so, and by the end of it I'm usually very knowledgable about the topic (although usually it doesn't matter because the topics generally have no real application). Occasionally I'll compile the fruit of my research in a (as described by someone else) "term-paper-like" composition, that's generally 10 pages or so. In any case, I've been wondering if any other NTs have experienced similar phases. Other types are more than welcome to contribute as well, I'd just assumed that if anyone would relate, it'd be NTs.
    MBTI: INTx
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Big Five: RCxEI
    Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    IQ: 147
    EQ: Don't even ask.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

For sure. It's why I know a whole lot about Jim Jones, punk rock and male genitals.

I've never written formally about my findings though.

However I do sometimes get sucked into obsessive categorization. Often times for music. Everything has to perfectly and exhaustively categorized which just becomes impossible and I have to give up midway through making a massive convoluted list.

But anyways yeah. You don't find your self awake at two in the am listening to Jonestown audio recordings if you not a weeee bit of a compulsive researcher

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Yep, I think that's an NT thing. I have had several of these intense research periods; my fields of expertise include orchids, Joseph Stalin, dog breeds, Sir Thomas More, Greek mythology, the works of Agatha Christie, schizophrenia, and serial killers, just to mention a few. I have some F traits, but I usually see myself as INTP, for what it's worth. Also, I write stories from time to time, which makes me do EXTREME amounts of research. If I want to do something, I want to do it properly (usually I DON'T want to do something, doing something is boring most of the time), so my PowerPoint presentations in Upper Secondary were pretty overwhelmingly informative; my teacher usually had to ask me to stop talking.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy; Am I or the others crazy?
    ~Albert Einstein

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there.
    ~Owl City (Song: The Real World, album: All Things Bright and Beautiful)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My husband does that. It's adorable.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My husband does that. It's adorable.
    Ehm ... thanks?
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy; Am I or the others crazy?
    ~Albert Einstein

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there.
    ~Owl City (Song: The Real World, album: All Things Bright and Beautiful)

Infinite Bubble

Yes, I will oftentimes do this if something captures my interest. With some things, after a while it will stop becoming so much of a present obsession, but will almost become a habit. For instance, when I had obsessed about Jung and MBTI for a length of time, it just became natural to research and think about it on a daily basis. I've stopped now, but it took almost half a year to, haha. I write notes about it if I've had any original thoughts on the subject.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I do this a lot. I also have periodical interests that return to become "deeper".
    I'm almost constantly in this mode. If I can't find anything interesting to learn, I become restless.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ~NTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

I DO THIS TOO. IS THIS AN E5 THING!? >_<
    7w8(sw6w7), 8w9(sw9w1), 4w5(sw5w6) Sx/So

Undeniably Chaotic as fuck 8D

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My whole life has been that way. Never able to pin down one interest. Jack of all trades, master of some only because I was forced to by outside sources.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    I do this a lot. I also have periodical interests that return to become "deeper".
    I'm almost constantly in this mode. If I can't find anything interesting to learn, I become restless.
    That is me absolutely, even as a kid if I didn't bring something to read I'd sit and study the sky and how their is a gradient of blues from the horizon up to the highest point where it then forms a lighter blue halo or study ants on the ground. Even going to the bathroom for number 2, if no book I'd read the back of shampoo bottles or anything else....