Thread: Ask an ENTP!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    College degrees don't matter. Unless you want to be a doctor or scientist and need the degree to get into a grad program. Even then you can still major in anything you want as long as you do that pre-professional chain of classes. Or you can do a post-bac after the fact. What will be more important is your job history which will depend on also on your internships and overall classes and GPA.
    Based on your entire long (and lovely) post, I really hope you are right, because that is kind of what I am aiming for. Although I am interested in a field in science.

Also with dance and music, honestly speaking this may be the one and only time in your life that you have this opportunity to study these subjects in depth, with academic rigor, in a relatively safe and stable environment.
    That is true, and I didn't consider that. Although if I go to school around where the dance studio I love to go to is, I have a good shot at going to a good college/going to a good dance studio (I guess although a lot of dance instructors are good, these guys/girls are top notch).

By the way, what type are you?

And taking a lot of classes shouldn't be a problem for me- I have so many interests! Which I kind of feel is part of my problem.

I also like to study dance and music, but unless you are in a full time college there is no way to duplicate that 360 learning environment and rigor and accountability. I have taken music, dance, and language classes after undergrad but I sorely regret not taking more language classes. It is painful and expensive and often times kinda shoddy trying to learn these things outside that environment - unless you are really good at being self-taught. Again, that undergrad environment when you are a "traditional language age" is the best way to do it and build that foundation.

Soooo, yeah, just do it. You don't have to worry about what's practical and sacrifice your interests etc. just yet.
    Well, as far as in school subjects go, I should look at science and language (definitely language, because I love it). I think for me with language, I have a relatively easy time learning it, but not drive really.

Maybe for now I should just try to balance school/dance/music. I think dance and music will be things I will always study on my own.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    Do you find it difficult to read people's intentions/moods/etc.?
    Nope.

To elaborate...

I find that you guys tend to carry on talking despite others giving (what I think are) clear signs that signal that particular topic of conversation is over.

Why do you persist? Is it that you genuinely missing the signals and are then surprised when someone is irritated at you for talking too much? Or is it that you are vocalising a continuing train of thought and don't realise it? Or are you excited by the thought and therefore can't really help yourself?
    [Disclaimer: Chances of someone being irritated at me for talking too much are slim to none, as I don't do it. It's generally easier to get me to stop talking then start.]

If I'm having a conversation (albeit one-way) with another person who is uninterested in me or the topic there are four outcomes:

If I care about the topic and discussing it with you specifically, I will
    1. Be soooooo excited and surprised that you don't share that interest that I will be yammering on some until I notice the point of no-interest has passed for you, retreat and abruptly end the conversation as quickly and smoothly as I can and then feel slightly annoyed/awkward at not realising it wasn't your thing.

2. See you're not interested before I get into it, leave it go, but be hurt that you can't share my enthusiasm. You'll see me shut up and probably not talk again anytime soon about the topics I'm interested in. (This is probably the one and maybe only thing someone can do to hurt me without trying, I'm usually unflappable but dismissing my passion when I show it is kinda my Achilles heel).

If I don't care about the topic, or the above has happened and I still want to chat to you, I will
    3. Shift the topic to something you are passionate about to try to get you engaged, this is where most of my conversations with other people start and stay so I'm comfortable here, or

If I don't care about you, I will
    4. Find someone more fun, less buzz-killerish, to talk to.

Do you find Introverts a bit irritating? Are they frustratingly inscrutable to you?
    Not at all.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Do you find it difficult to read people's intentions/moods/etc.? I find that you guys tend to carry on talking despite others giving (what I think are) clear signs that signal that particular topic of conversation is over.

Why do you persist? Is it that you genuinely missing the signals and are then surprised when someone is irritated at you for talking too much? Or is it that you are vocalising a continuing train of thought and don't realise it? Or are you excited by the thought and therefore can't really help yourself?

Also,

Do you find Introverts a bit irritating? Are they frustratingly inscrutable to you?
    Introverts aint inscutable, with ongoing age you get to know them all and learn by experience.

What frustrates me is passive behaviour. When someone wants me to stop a thing, he has to tell me. "Please stop that" is really no hard thing to say. I am incapable to trust so heavily passive people, cause I always have the feeling they aint telling me something.

Passive people make me really angry, the most angry someone can make me. Thats why I looked for a very dominant girlfriend, otherwise she would have prolly made me so angry that I'd have killed myself by accident
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Hey any entps get that feeeling, you know That feeling. That feeling that i'm sure you guys know.

Oh well another question, any ENTPs seem bipolar sometimes? *E, i'm unsure if i'm ENTP, but At school, I tend to be funny(in a pure random way, not trying to be funny) , social and rather anti negative. Through class work first, funny after.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Do you find it difficult to read people's intentions/moods/etc.? I find that you guys tend to carry on talking despite others giving (what I think are) clear signs that signal that particular topic of conversation is over.
    Yes and no. I read the signals, and have improved at holding back, but it can be disappointing to have to give up on a topic when you've just got to the good part. Sometimes, you just impulsively push past the boundaries of propriety (though this is very much a younger thing to do)

Combo of the three. Also, there's a bit of hyperfocus going on there - breaking the concentration can be a bit unnerving.

Also,

Some, but it depends on the person, really.

Sometimes. I've gotten more socially adept with time, but sometimes I find I have to make a conscious effort to do things like look people in the eyes or stop a conversation when the other person clearly is done with it. But I feel like doing the latter is a rather minor social ettiquette infraction. Sometimes I'd rather risk it for the opportunity to explore an interesting subject or have some fun.

It could be all of the above (or for the reason I mentioned before).

Not on the whole. Some are, but so are some extroverts (both irritating and inscrutable). I tend to like the quiet energy of introverts a lot. I think when it comes to being frustrated by people, I'm mainly thrown by those who don't offer a lot in the way of communication (not necessarily talking, just communication). But I'm willing to compromise on this if I care enough about the other person.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What frustrates me is passive behaviour. When someone wants me to stop a thing, he has to tell me. "Please stop that" is really no hard thing to say. I am incapable to trust so heavily passive people, cause I always have the feeling they aint telling me something.
    In fact, I find it very hard to stay "Please stop that." It's one of the hardest things to say to an ENTP, I think.

Sometimes I'm not sure if ENTPs notice, but people are really horrible to you sometimes. They mock you and sometimes I think they use you. As some people have said, it seems that at times this happens because ENTPs are unaware of the subtle signs of what's occuring. I also think it's because ENTPs like to trust others. When I see people take advantage of ENTPs, it breaks my heart a little. In that sense, I'm quite happy to listen to ENTPs thoughts and ideas because they're often interesting, but also because I think they deserve to have someone listen.

Therefore, it's hard to tell you stop doing things that might be annoying. I don't want to be cruel like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    If I care about the topic and discussing it with you specifically, I will
    1. Be soooooo excited and surprised that you don't share that interest that I will be yammering on some until I notice the point of no-interest has passed for you, retreat and abruptly end the conversation as quickly and smoothly as I can and then feel slightly annoyed/awkward at not realising it wasn't your thing.

2. See you're not interested before I get into it, leave it go, but be hurt that you can't share my enthusiasm. You'll see me shut up and probably not talk again anytime soon about the topics I'm interested in. (This is probably the one and maybe only thing someone can do to hurt me without trying, I'm usually unflappable but dismissing my passion when I show it is kinda my Achilles heel).
    See my above response! This is one of my greatest fears with ENTPs. I want to be the person that listens to their ideas, but I feel ENTPs ask too much of me! They want me to be as animated as they are but I just can't do it! I do enjoy listening though, as long as you aren't rambling! I would never stamp on someone's enthusiasm, though. I would never see any good in that.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

@Adasta: I tend to see that in a lot of NTs. Although I've yet to see an ENTP made fun of. But I haven't seen too many of them in school.

Although I think that happened to me more in middle school. I couldn't say, I was way more aloof then than now.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    Oh well another question, any ENTPs seem bipolar sometimes?
    That hasn’t occurred to me, no.

Do you find it difficult to read people's intentions/moods/etc.?
    Not particularly.

I find that you guys tend to carry on talking despite others giving (what I think are) clear signs that signal that particular topic of conversation is over.
    Respect the ENTP soapbox.

Why do you persist? Is it that you genuinely missing the signals and are then surprised when someone is irritated at you for talking too much? Or is it that you are vocalizing a continuing train of thought and don't realize it? Or are you excited by the thought and therefore can't really help yourself?
    All of the above.

Some, I guess. I prefer a mutual give & take.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    Hey any entps get that feeeling, you know That feeling. That feeling that i'm sure you guys know.

Oh well another question, any ENTPs seem bipolar sometimes? *E, i'm unsure if i'm ENTP, but At school, I tend to be funny(in a pure random way, not trying to be funny) , social and rather anti negative. Through class work first, funny after.
    The feeling that you want to see if it turns blue some time, when you overuse it ? Nope never had that xD
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]