User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanting to be both T and F, what made u decide which?

filling some space Array UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Wanting to be both T and F, what made u decide which?

I think it's a shame of having to choose between T and F. Does the T side handle the emotions adequately, and is it fun and ethical? Does the F side handle thinking adequately, and is it consistent and logical?

I have sometimes been unsure of my preference, thinking that I'm in the middle. Then seeing NT vs NF forums has been the deciding factor, as NF topics have seemed ok and lovely, they are not such topics that I think constantly about.

Also when going too deep in the NF terrain I feel sometimes coming across as ridiculous and hurt. NT feelinglessness is kind of dull emotionally and leaves much to be desired, but NT type intellectual goals are damned great to do, and they work better for me than NF things.

Have you been uncertain of your preference on the T/F scale and what made you decide which one you are?
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 09-16-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: It's T/F, duh!

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, what clinched it for me was that I was comfortable acting on and expressing my emotions, and was usually aware of my personal feelings on a topic. I was a little unsure at first because of my interest in logical discussions and complex theories, but I've found that it's fairly common for NF's, particularly INFJ's, to take interest in such topics. NT's also seem to tend towards some NF topics, especially later in life, but they seem to express their F in a much more indirect fashion, and with slightly more facts surrounding them than an NF. You have to see it, it's hard to explain.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Have you been uncertain of your preference on the N/F scale and what made you decide which one you are?
    Many people have suspected me of being F, based on my online behavior (and I understand why). I very much enjoy NF people, especially because as I've gotten older I enjoy tying intellectual insights to psychological/spiritual development, and many younger NTs are much more impersonal in how they apply their perceptions of the world.

But, for example, NFs are consistently far too delicate in many situations; I have a T's ability to go anywhere and talk about anything and deal with anything, regardless of the personal aspects. Each NF is different, but there are consistently personal areas where they won't go openly with people, for whatever reason; and I do not have that.

So as general criteria, I look at many things:
    • My first instincts in a situation
    • Other people whose type I'm sure of, and how comfortable I feel with them (which people do I "identify with" more and what are the things that put me off, if anything?)
    • Out of the T or F solution to / assessment of a situation, which one could I live with least happily if I had to commit to it?

The thing is that you are not required to be one or the other. It is just a "theory," with extremes so that things can be clearly defined, but in reality people are much more gray. And the strongest people can use both functions, when the situation is appropriate to a particular style.

So based on your self-description and your writing style, you come across as more T but still have a respect (and use) for F-style thinking when appropriate. Even if it's not your strongest trait, you can recognize it and appreciate it when appropriate.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I've been thinking about making a thread about the following point..this will do for now.

I have a theory that those who are undecided on the T/F dichotemy are much more likely to be Feelers than Thinkers. Feelers have more opportunities and personal incentive to develop their thinking side growing up through education, emotional sensitivity, and making hard decisions. Whereas thinkers can coast for awhile without so much as acknowledging other people, until they start wondering what it would be like to have friends or relationships based on more than work or sex.
    If you think you're on the border between T and F, you're an F. Because if you're a T with a developed feeling side, you're probably older and you can probably even pinpoint when you started trying to develop your F.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Haven't there been discussions, here and elsewhere, raising theoretical points about the T/F divide having much less to do with emotions than the terms would suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    If you think you're on the border between T and F, you're an F.
    No. No! No-o-o-o-o! [/draws knife across chest, leaps out window]

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Haven't there been discussions, here and elsewhere, raising theoretical points about the T/F divide having much less to do with emotions than the terms would suggest?
    Mmmm hmmm. It's values that define an F, not necessarily emotions.

No. No! No-o-o-o-o! [/draws knife across chest, leaps out window]
    <looks out dryly> You can get up now. We were only on the first floor.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire Array

When I was posting on boards that were predominantly F, it made me think that I was maybe not a feeler but then reading at INTPc helped me to see that I really was a Feeler. When a Feeler gets into their middle years it becomes more complicated because of developing inferior functions. The cognitive functions test also helped me decide.

I very closely fit both the descriptions of ENFP and ENTP. (Actually INTP describes me fairly well too.) The way I see it the NT way is more efficient, but the NF way produces better life objectives. So I behave like an NT when making most decisions, but behave like an NF when making important decisions.

I don't see myself rigidly placed into the ENTP category, as much as I see the ENTP description being the closest description to what I am. But at the same time ENFP is almost as close too. I appear as a thinker most of the time, so I just say I am ENTP. To me it doesn't really matter if I can force myself neatly into one of 16 categories. MBTI is just a theory and like all theories it provides a good logical framework while still having a few difficulties when trying to explain the way things really are.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INXP

I'm quite close to the borderline between Thinker and Feeler, sanity and insanity. Reading through the posts did help me to realize that, though close to the line, I'm at no risk of crossing over. I simply don't have the complex swirl of emotions that seems to be the hallmark of an NF. And yes, I mean emotions, not values, though perhaps those, too--but it was the intensity of the emotions that struck me. I'm a desert wasteland in comparison.

I originally came here to observe the interaction styles of the 16 types and to get a glimpse into the differing thought processes. I rarely feel a compulsion to elaborate on my own thoughts--or feelings, for that matter--to any great degree. My behavior seems to be more typical of an unsocialized INTP than an INFP, though better-developed INTPs can be formidably wordy. (I am aware that I'm an immature example of my type, lacking social skills and motivation.)

I like writing, which may be at least partially attributable to Feeler influence. But I write science fiction.

Incidentally, a recurring theme in many of my stories is the presence of a cyborg character, who, while never the protagonist, is always observing--and attempting to interpret--the behavior of the others. Excuse me while I experience a Freudian moment.
    Last edited by Recluse; 09-09-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: misspelling

I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

filling some space Array UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    When a Feeler gets into their middle years it becomes more complicated because of developing inferior functions.
    I think I know what you mean.. developing in any new function can make you feel that you've found your "true self", which is natural, as development really opens up so many new doors.

After a decade of using F I've come to understand that it's not my most developed function, as much as it brought joy to my life when I was learning to live with it. I've become in good terms with that, even though I'd wish to be more proficient in it. I'm happy that I don't neglect emotions and feelings anymore.