Thread: INTP Central

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I can agree with all of that. I just happen to think that that's why INTPs should never, ever be in large, homogenous groups. They need other types pressuring them to behave in a decent manner, whether they like it or not.
    Your judgments are kind of legendary at this point.

I still don't understand how they can be so decent one-on-one, though... It just doesn't make sense that those same people must act so unreasonably and hatefully in groups! If they would just act the same way publicly that they do privately... sigh.
    If you're noticing an inconsistency, wouldn't that be a great reason to maybe reexamine your beliefs and where you've drawn them from, and try to figure out if there are other reasons than the ones you've been assuming?

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.
    Don't sell yourself short.

I wasn't there for very long, I'm just judging it on the few moments I was there in 2007.
    Exacty. Four years ago. For a few moments.

That's a pretty small window of data.
    Maybe it's time to reevaluate what you think and why.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I just happen to think that that's why INTPs should never, ever be in large, homogenous groups. They need other types pressuring them to behave in a decent manner, whether they like it or not.
    Too funny.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's kind of the reason INTPc exists in the first place... to get out from under other peoples' thumbs.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Precisely.

To be the way you are innately because you can't be that way anywhere else.

I feel like responding like I would to my mom when I was a kid: "You don't know me mom. You don't understand how I am, so leave me alone."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's kind of the reason INTPc exists in the first place... to get out from under other peoples' thumbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Precisely.

To be the way you are innately because you can't be that way anywhere else.

I feel like responding like I would to my mom when I was a kid: "You don't know me mom. You don't understand how I am, so leave me alone."

Wow, I had no idea life was like that for you.

I've felt similar things before... for different reasons, I imagine.

I'd apologize, but I don't think it would be particularly meaningful to you at this point. I'll just... leave you alone.

MBTI
    INTj

IT'S SO HARD IN HERE! . . .

Haight

MBTI
    FREE

So, since there is a bit of ambiguity as to the circumstances surrounding my ban from the forum, I'll provide some background.

I originally joined INTPc back in 2006 or sometime around then; I posted for a while and then disappeared for a couple of years. I returned about the time Alyssa, a former girlfriend of mine, was killed in a car accident. At the time, I was going through some other things also, and spent a lot of time indoors on my computer. The forum provided a way to interact with others, express myself, whatever, without having to go outside and face the world.

I absolutely love to debate, but I have little tolerance for personal attacks. As a consequence, I will tend to respond to such with either feigned ignorance or some other absurd farce. Personal attacks seem to be all too common in forum interaction, and INTPc was not an exception to that rule. As a consequence, I was often prone to posting silly nonsense as a way to toy with these distasteful (to me anyways) posts. This, of course, is very akin to trolling since both aim to "mess with others." I eventually went so far as to create a thread entitled Are some INTPs Poopy?, after having met with so many "poopy responses." While I realize this isn't the best way to respond, and would now perhaps ignore rather than confront with the absurd, at the time I just felt like fighting nonsense with nonsense. -> "You post a stupid and ignorant response to one of my posts or another person's post, I'll respond to yours with absurd gibberish."

In parallel with this, I developed a reputation for being a creeper and stalker. There was a single member about which I made several flirtatious posts (Ironically only after she made one directed towards me), which created an environment of discomfort for her. There was absolutely nothing obscene or overtly threatening about them (As an example, there was a thread where we were using the South Park Character generator to create South Park versions of ourselves. Right below her post, I posted an image of two South Park characters: her character cropped from her creation, and mine, hand in hand). To me, this seemed like innocent fun, but I failed to understand that the internet is a dark and sometimes scary place, especially for women. For her, these were unwelcome and distasteful interactions, so she sent me a PM about her displeasure, asking me to cease and desist. I then made the mistake of not treating her feelings as valid concerns, and made light of them by returning her PM with a quote from an earlier message we'd exchanged (back in 2006) saying "she'd changed." In retrospect, I should have had more sympathy for her feelings of discomfort, rather than making light of them.

So, these two things culminated in me getting confined to purgatory. Momentum started building against me when a thread was created with a poll, asking whether or not I was a "troll or tryhard." Things snowballed until I eventually created a second account (not to circumvent a ban, but to also post in purgatory, for some fun), after which I was banned. The interesting thing is that, per the FAQs on that site at that time, this was not deemed a bannable offense.

After that permanent ban, I made several other accounts so that I could continue participating in the forum. Had the ban been less than permanent, forever, never to be lifted, etc, I would have probably respected it and not attempted to create other accounts. But, why do that when I'm never going to be allowed back anyways?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    So, since there is a bit of ambiguity as to the circumstances surrounding my ban from the forum, I'll provide some background.

I originally joined INTPc back in 2006 or sometime around then; I posted for a while and then disappeared for a couple of years. I returned about the time Alyssa, a former girlfriend of mine, was killed in a car accident. At the time, I was going through some other things also, and spent a lot of time indoors on my computer. The forum provided a way to interact with others, express myself, whatever, without having to go outside and face the world.

I absolutely love to debate, but I have little tolerance for personal attacks. As a consequence, I will tend to respond to such with either feigned ignorance or some other absurd farce. Personal attacks seem to be all too common in forum interaction, and INTPc was not an exception to that rule. As a consequence, I was often prone to posting silly nonsense as a way to toy with these distasteful (to me anyways) posts. This, of course, is very akin to trolling since both aim to "mess with others." I eventually went so far as to create a thread entitled Are some INTPs Poopy?, after having met with so many "poopy responses." While I realize this isn't the best way to respond, and would now perhaps ignore rather than confront with the absurd, at the time I just felt like fighting nonsense with nonsense. -> "You post a stupid and ignorant response to one of my posts or another person's post, I'll respond to yours with absurd gibberish."

In parallel with this, I developed a reputation for being a creeper and stalker. There was a single member about which I made several flirtatious posts (Ironically only after she made one directed towards me), which created an environment of discomfort for her. There was absolutely nothing obscene or overtly threatening about them (As an example, there was a thread where we were using the South Park Character generator to create South Park versions of ourselves. Right below her post, I posted an image of two South Park characters: her character cropped from her creation, and mine, hand in hand). To me, this seemed like innocent fun, but I failed to understand that the internet is a dark and sometimes scary place, especially for women. For her, these were unwelcome and distasteful interactions, so she sent me a PM about her displeasure, asking me to cease and desist. I then made the mistake of not treating her feelings as valid concerns, and made light of them by returning her PM with a quote from an earlier message we'd exchanged (back in 2006) saying "she'd changed." In retrospect, I should have had more sympathy for her feelings of discomfort, rather than making light of them.

So, these two things culminated in me getting confined to purgatory. Momentum started building against me when a thread was created with a poll, asking whether or not I was a "troll or tryhard." Things snowballed until I eventually created a second account (not to circumvent a ban, but to also post in purgatory, for some fun), after which I was banned. The interesting thing is that, per the FAQs on that site at that time, this was not deemed a bannable offense.

After that permanent ban, I made several other accounts so that I could continue participating in the forum. Had the ban been less than permanent, forever, never to be lifted, etc, I would have probably respected it and not attempted to create other accounts. But, why do that when I'm never going to be allowed back anyways?
    So what was the result of the poll?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    So what was the result of the poll?

Har har har... at this point I don't recall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

While I have more sympathy for you now (since you've been better here, and you've articulated a lot more about context and background), in the end, yeah, you still have to take responsibility for how you represented yourself on that forum. I don't remember much detail, I just remember you acting like a fluffy/argumentative douche all the time... that's all I took away in regard to you. I'm generally even-keel and open to anyone, and that's the generalization of how I recall you, which doesn't bode well.

If you had been half as human and open as you've been here, it would have helped. I empathized with your story when I read it.

EDIT: Poll: If you have an INTPC membership, here is the thread:
    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showth...oll-or-tryhard