User Tag List

123 Last

Default To kill or not to kill...

Okay so I thought this would be fun to do since the topic came up on an earlier thread.

It seems that personality type will have a pretty big impact on how we interpret various rules/morals in society. I think Fi vs Fe can have a very large effect on our viewpoints sometimes.

For this particular question:

I met a neat INFJ guy awhile back who (while having a delightfully beautiful belly button) posed an interesting question. Is it ever okay to kill someone else if it was your job to do so. For instance what if you are a special ops soldier, is it okay to kill the enemy and could you, personally do this sort of job? What sort of personality would it take to do this job and is it right or wrong to do so given the standard rule of thou shall not kill?

If not are there other circumstances where breaking this ultimate social taboo would be okay?

thoughts?

Thoughts?

MBTI
    ENTP

kill. do what has to be done. that is all.
    She talks pretty but says mean things

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

If you are morally opposed to killing then you shouldn't spend years training to become a special ops soldier.

MBTI
    INTP

If I ever find myself in a situation where I'm directed to kill someone else, I would hope it would not come as a surprise.

In other words, if I decided to join the Army, I should expect that at some point I would be directed to use lethal force. I would do what I was required to do -- not necessarily because I think killing is okay, but because the time to make that decision passed long ago. If, after killing someone, I discovered that I couldn't handle it, I would choose to leave as soon as possible.

As a P, I'm tempted to say, "Things are not always so cut-and-dry," but they actually often are cut-and-dry. Shady dealings are for shady people, and killing someone is pretty shady.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Kill, if it's your job- and as long as it's legal or if it is for the "greater good". But if it violates your morals then don't get a job that has to do with killing.

I personally would find it very difficult to kill someone in a grotesque way, it would have to be the fastest way possible. Preferrably with a gun at a distance. But, "you gotta do what you gotta do".
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd probably have serious problems with killing somebody, after the deed was done, but the actual act of pulling the trigger, knowing somebody's melon is about to burst wouldn't be difficult at all.

Once I have a lifeless corpse at my feet by my own hand, and I have to clean up a mess, I can't guarantee I'll hold stability. But if I had to kill at a distance, I honestly don't think I'd have a problem with it.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Is it ever okay to kill someone else if it was your job to do so.
    "The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him."

For instance what if you are a special ops soldier, is it okay to kill the enemy and could you, personally do this sort of job? What sort of personality would it take to do this job and is it right or wrong to do so given the standard rule of thou shall not kill?
    Someone who believes in a cause, someone who believes they have to in order to do their job right, someone who is indifferent to the enemy, or anyone who can bypass the 'thou shalt not kill' rule with some personal or ideological rationalisation. At this moment I see no reason to kill anyone. Could I? Depends on the circumstances and my personal belief system.

If not are there other circumstances where breaking this ultimate social taboo would be okay?
    Whatever floats their boat and makes them feel justified. But it's likely others will disagree, particularly the enemy.

(Oh and usually people regard self-defense as an acceptable excuse for murder.)

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    Kill, if it's your job- and as long as it's legal or if it is for the "greater good".
    You do realise that this statement gives all ideologies a liscense to kill, right? Under that logic the Armenian Genocide was justified. I guess the Turkish government doesn't have to apologise after all.
    [End sarcasm.]
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INFP

Personally, I think killing in self defense or rushing to the defense of others is justified. If my friend was being raped or beaten and I was physically able to kill her attacker, I think I would do it without any hesitation. Along the same lines, if I consider the reasons for a war to be sound, I am not morally opposed to killing for those specific reasons (ie: defending one's country against invasion.) However, if there is any situation even within war where killing can be avoided, I think it should be. Of course, war is a tragedy and I wish it did not exist, but we live in a messy world, not my idealistic head.

While I'm not morally opposed to all killing, I could never personally volunteer to fight and kill in a war. I don't think I could handle it. It would take someone who was able to detach him/herself more than I could.

Also, I could possibly see myself killing someone if he/she was dying in great pain and begging for me to end the misery. To me, it would probably seem like the more humane thing to kill than not to kill, at that time, but I don't think I'd make that decision unless it was the person's request.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    Personally, I think killing in self defense or rushing to the defense of others is justified. If my friend was being raped or beaten and I was physically able to kill her attacker, I think....
    I would gut him like a fish. Seriously, and I've gutted fish before, too. I agree with what jewelchild said (excluding her part about assisting in suicide). My brother is special ops and I'm pretty sure that before this year is over he will have killed someone or be responsible for their death (he's an ESTP by the way) and I'm relatively ok with that. I, on the other hand, have no interest in taking a job where I would even be asked to harm someone. But, if war or threat or violence were to come to my door, or my friend's door, I would fight. Granted, I'd probably have nightmares for the rest of my life, but I would kill.

I won't murder, and yes, I'm separating the two. Murder being in a time outside of governmental conflict when, due to personal disagreement or personal pleasure you end someone else's life. You can piss me off until I wouldn't mourn if you were dead, but I'll never assist you in getting there unless you, like, attack me or a friend.

Also, that "thou shalt not kill" rule presupposes that we're all following biblical mandates, and within that rule structure one also had to "honor thy father and mother" and "do not commit adultery." So...*shrugs* is this a instance of ideologies, or where countries *get* their ideologies or what ideologies are in a *countries* best interests?
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

When it comes down to it, soldiers often historically miss on purpose, some even when it could put them in danger for not killing. Not everyone, of course.

Sociopaths could do it. Shady for the shady, as one ISTP said. :P

I'm sure many non-sociopaths have killed while in the military. So many are SO fucked up because of it, too... Post-traumatic stress disorder can not only come from something bad happening to you, it can come from you doing something that is counter everything you internally stand for.