User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I need to watch it again, but from what I remember I would think ESFP and ISFJ would be correct.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I do see all of that; but I think you're missing the big picture and getting caught up on specific traits rather than overall aura and look and feel. Joel still has a lot of "play" in his personality, he's just very self-protective and fearful and it's those things you are noticing and reading as Si+Fe. Maybe it just helps that I've known a variety of Ti+Ne and Fi+Ne people, so I've seen this pattern play out before.

You're also looking at Joel's judgments as more Fe, whereas really Clem was violating Joel's sensibilities on a PERSONAL level and not the overt social... he does NOT care about whether she conforms to society's standards of a good person, he's bent because she's violating him as a person, within context of their relationship (which is Fi). If they weren't dating, he wouldn't bother to judge her, he'd find her sort of enticing and alive; Fe standards however usually lead to Clem getting blacklisted right away because she's not a "good member of society."
    I thought the "big picture" was the value Joel put on his memories, and the general sense of nostalgia for the past (an overtly SJ theme).

Also, Joel was not in the position to blacklist anyone from his life, being a lonely and forgotten creature... even then, for the most part he played a passive role in the relationship, with clementine making all the moves, and only in the end of the movie did he finally fully accept her despite all her flaws.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

My first instinct would be to place him as INTP, but only because he's Charlie Kaufman's stand-in for the film. He's so damn neurotic around people. ("completely incapable of talking to a member of the opposite sex").

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I thought that too, although I'm not great at typing, but, if that wasn't Ne-overload....well, damn!
    My impression also. She reminds me of every ENFP woman I've ever known, but not of the ESFPs I know. My ENFP ex-best friend was sooo much like her, right down to the appearance (crazy hair colors, ugly orange sweatshirt). ESFPs don't seem quite as random and all over the place to me. She seems run by Ne whims.

I don't think Joel is ISFJ because SF men seem more traditionally masculine on the surface. NF men tend to wear their sensitivity more openly. ISFJs also display a social warmth and sense of duty his character lacked. NFs love to romanticize the past and can be very critical if people don't meet their high ideals. His journal seems NF too, not SJ.

I think Joel is an INFJ. He seems turn-offed by ignorance of etiquette, like when Clementine took the food off his plate, and he doesn't want to go into the empty house. INFPs probably wouldn't be as concerned with those social rules. We're usually up for spontaneity and informality.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes xXMariahXx liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I thought the "big picture" was the value Joel put on his memories, and the general sense of nostalgia for the past (an overtly SJ theme).
    again, tertiary Si.

I love this movie, it was VERY evocative for me... and I'm most definitively NOT ISFJ. The nostaligic thing is one reference point I find in common with ISFJs though.... INxP can have extremely strong Si if they're very introverted in general.. it's the Ji + Si combo at work.

Also, Joel was not in the position to blacklist anyone from his life, being a lonely and forgotten creature... even then, for the most part he played a passive role in the relationship, with clementine making all the moves, and only in the end of the movie did he finally fully accept her despite all her flaws.
    Exactly. Why does this make him ISFJ per se?

I'll give you, though, that this particular frame is reminiscent of Charlie Brown (ISFJ).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    again, tertiary Si.

I love this movie, it was VERY evocative for me... and I'm most definitively NOT ISFJ. The nostaligic thing is one reference point I find in common with ISFJs though.... INxP can have extremely strong Si if they're very introverted in general.. it's the Ji + Si combo at work.

Exactly. Why does this make him ISFJ per se?
    You say "exactly" yet in a previous post you said an ISFJ would have "blacklisted" someone of clementine's character, so there seems to be some discontent between what you are saying (or am I missing something?)

In any case, INFP love tends to be longing, poetic, very encompassing yet somewhat fleeting. ISFJ love tends to be more tightnit and dependable. It takes longer to get ISFJs love, but once you're in, chances are you are set for life.

Joel was very stingy with his feelings in general, very mindful of his expressions of it. Clamentine basically barged into his protective fort of feelings, and caught him off guard. To mitigate that he tried to "clean up" the house by erasing the memory.

I think a good example of INFP love is Dr Zhivago, which to me is quite distinct from that of Joel in Eternal Sunshine.

That's my impressions of it anyway. I can't get into a cognitive function aspect of it because I don't follow cognitive functions - I see them as unreliable type indicators.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    My first instinct would be to place him as INTP, but only because he's Charlie Kaufman's stand-in for the film. He's so damn neurotic around people. ("completely incapable of talking to a member of the opposite sex").
    TBH, that was my first instinct too, but then I changed my mind. Now I'm back to INFx again. I think if Joel were ISFJ, he would have been less open to clementine's eccentric ways from the moment he met her.

ISFJ love tends to be more tightnit and dependable. It takes longer to get ISFJs love, but once you're in, chances are you are set for life.
    It didn't take long at all for him to fall in love with her. He fell in love with her from the moment he saw her and he even said in the movie that he falls in love instantaneously with every woman he encounters. He was quite open-minded when he came to who he initially got involved with, even though he was judgmental later on in the relationship. He took whatever came easy to him. This is what screams INTP to me, and actually, I've seen a few INTJs act this way too.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This is what screams INTP to me, and actually, I've seen a few INTJs act this way too.
    Really? INTJs?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Really? INTJs?
    Want girls who make it easy for them and then toss them out after they get what they want? Heck yeah.....but I digress. Joel was too feely to be an INTx.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Want girls who make it easy for them and then toss them out after they get what they want? Heck yeah.....
    For a second there I thought you meant that some INTJs "fall in love instantaneously".