User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Risk, Reward, and God

Default Risk, Reward, and God

If you believe in God, and he turns out to not be real, then you have lost nothing, but if he is real, you've gained everything.
    Assuming God is as benevolent as many would like to believe she is, I'd like to present the following thought for discussion:

If you don't believe in God, and he turns out to not be real, you've gained everything, but if he is real, you've gained everything.

Tenured roisterer Array SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

What is God?

There is a myriad of possible notions we could explore with regard to that topic, which one do we have in mind here?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

What is "real"? What is "true"? What is a "lie"? Sometimes I think that is so much more relevant than "What is God?"

Also, what is "everything" and "nothing"?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ISTx

I think there is something lost if you spend a life time devoted to a God that turns out to not even exist. Maybe it doesn't matter after you die but for the life spent on Earth. I realize many are not this way, but I know a number of people that arise in the morning and then sleep at night, having spent their entire day devoted to study, worship and fellowship within the confined box of their faith and religion. While they may mean well and carry out their ministry with good intention, they're still called to "save the world" which leaves those of us who aren't like minded feeling isolated and looked down on.

So to those who are totally immersed, I do feel its a risk. Lost nothing? Well, you've spent the one life you have misfocused and then disregarded other trains of thought.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I think there is something lost if you spend a life time devoted to a God that turns out to not even exist. Maybe it doesn't matter after you die but for the life spent on Earth. I realize many are not this way, but I know a number of people that arise in the morning and then sleep at night, having spent their entire day devoted to study, worship and fellowship within the confined box of their faith and religion. While they may mean well and carry out their ministry with good intention, they're still called to "save the world" which leaves those of us who aren't like minded feeling isolated and looked down on.

So to those who are totally immersed, I do feel its a risk. Lost nothing? Well, you've spent the one life you have misfocused and then disregarded other trains of thought.
    That tends to be how I look at it now, from the outside.

IMO the question of existence shouldn't really be, "Where are you going when you die?" which tends to be just self-serving and protectionist [i.e., it's all about hedging your bets to maximize your personal profit], I think it's much better for it to be, "How am I going to live today?"

Life starts right now.
    So whatever Big Things exist (God, truth, etc) logically should be relevant right now.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

to those who are totally immersed, I do feel its a risk. Lost nothing? Well, you've spent the one life you have misfocused and then disregarded other trains of thought.
    Well, I certainly do not agree with narrow-mindedness and blind devotion. However, if you are immersed in what you truly believe (however misdirected), then I would not consider it a life lost.

it's much better for it to be, "How am I going to live today?"
    Agreed. I think the question should be two-fold. What am I living for? Followed by, how am I going to live? Matching your actions with your set of values and beliefs in order to experience the richest life possible.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's much better for it to be, "How am I going to live today?"
    Backed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    Well, I certainly do not agree with narrow-mindedness and blind devotion. However, if you are immersed in what you truly believe (however misdirected), then I would not consider it a life lost.
    The faith and belief itself, no, you're right. However, an immersion can easily lead to narrow-mindedness and blind devotion. Even if God is legit, it's wrong. Doubly wrong and unfortunate if he's not.

p.s. Did I create a word when I said "misfocused"? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    What is God?
    I was speaking of the judeo-chrIslamic God.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by notjeffgoldblum View Post
    Assuming God is as benevolent as many would like to believe she is, I'd like to present the following thought for discussion:
    What's up with the last quote?

"If you don't believe in God, and he turns out to not be real, you've gained everything, but if he is real, you've gained everything."

How will you have gained everything if you don't believe in God and he turns out to be real? Are you suggesting that God will reward equally those who believe in him and those who don't?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTx

^pretty sure that's a typo.