• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is scripture divinely inspired and the word of God?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“All religions and beliefs have a historical faith to build upon from a previous religion. First there is the Zoroastrian religion of ancient Persia. Or modern day Iraq.

It was Zoroastrianism that had a good and evil or a bad. This was when the Hebrew’s were taken to Babylon. Jewish people also were influenced by the Egyptian monotheism of the sun god.

Not one book or religious scripture was written by God. Who could understand the Great Mystery? All scripture is inspired not by God but of fallible human beings. It is humans beings creative inspiration that wrote scripture.

There is no way God would inspire prophets to write any scripture that has unconscious archaic prejudices, stereotypes, ignorances based on the time and place of the times.

It is an insult to The Great Mystery that they would conceivably hold unto such archaic and ignorant human foibles as part of their makeup expressed in these verses.

Divinely inspired, yes. These are not God’s words but written by fallible man. No human could adequately capture the thoughts and mind of God.

It is this unconscious and the culture in where a person grows they reflect archaic beliefs. Beliefs that are no longer tenable. This is offensive to my own morality.

This includes Islam. The words come from Muhammad, a mere human. As such again their are unconscious prejudices, stereotypes, blind spots and ignorance of the author.

The Koran too is a product of the times and culture of society at the time. With respect, if you believe Muhammad is the last prophet, fine. You’re entitled to your belief and I won’t argue.

Muhammad was not the last prophet. As long as mortals exist there will be new men, and women who are in human terms inspired.

These newer prophets too will be hampered by their own unconscious prejudices, stereotypes, ignorance and blind spots. All based on the times the author comes out with a newly invented scripture.

Jehovah’s Witnesses, The Church of Latter Day Saints, and Dianetics all have faith there newer reveled insight and scripture are real. They will endure hardship in following the faith. There will always be new revelations and people will believe.” LightSun

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
No people are ignorant get bored and dream things up

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see it at most as the divinely inspired words of humans.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Exactly @Coriolis . It is human inspired creativity. The problem are those that take scriptures literally. This is a fatal flaw with anyone that holds on dogmatically to scripture saying these are the holy words of God himself.

Many of the scriptures originally were in oral form before being written. I look at scripture being written to try and explain the inexplicable.

To me this they are hypothesis to try and explain the mysteries of the universe. It defies all reason and common sense to hold on to Bronze Age ideas.

Scripture has not grown up to reflect new discoveries and truths.

Many of the scriptures of the world contain verses that reflected the human ignorances, stereotypes and prejudices of the time and culture in witch they were written.

First no human could write down or understand the Great Mystery in words.

Second, I am offended by some of the old archaic presumptions written down on verse reflecting the time they were written.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I see it at most as the divinely inspired words of humans.
This. It's still just a story, written to present a way for humans to live. Backed up by threats of violence, torture and death, even when advances in knowledge have shown otherwise.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
@LightSun, I always find your posts very interesting!

Though philosophy is a bit over my head - whether I believe it or not doesn't affect the truth.

It is an insult to The Great Mystery that they would conceivably hold unto such archaic and ignorant human foibles as part of their makeup expressed in these verses.

Divinely inspired, yes. These are not God’s words but written by fallible man. No human could adequately capture the thoughts and mind of God.

The standard response is that the particular text was written for the people of the time and place. And although there are many levels of interpretation in the book firstly it is God's communication to the prophet - author / scribe of the time for the people of that time then and must contain enough "archaic" if you will language or prejudices in our opinion in order to make sense to the people of that time and place.

Every religion has an explanation for the existence of every other religion and these claims can be assessed through study and reason. After that, it requires belief . . . and then it comes down to doctrine (which I find wholly unsatisfactory in scope and practicality).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@LightSun, I always find your posts very interesting!

Though philosophy is a bit over my head - whether I believe it or not doesn't affect the truth.

The standard response is that the particular text was written for the people of the time and place. And although there are many levels of interpretation in the book firstly it is God's communication to the prophet - author / scribe of the time for the people of that time then and must contain enough "archaic" if you will language or prejudices in our opinion in order to make sense to the people of that time and place.

Every religion has an explanation for the existence of every other religion and these claims can be assessed through study and reason. After that, it requires belief . . . and then it comes down to doctrine (which I find wholly unsatisfactory in scope and practicality).
Most religions also insist that they are the only true faith. I know of only two that do not:

1. Bahai faith. They maintain that all religions contain the same essential truths, presented as you say in a form appropriate to the age and circumstances. They revere the prophets of all faiths. Bahai faith is simply the newest one, the "latest edition of the textbook", updated for the modern age.

2. Paganism. Pagans are a diverse lot so I should hesitate to generalize. That very diversity, though, comes with an acceptance that the right path for one person may not be for the next, and that each one of us has our own spiritual journey to undertake. Many almost try to deter people from joining, until they have considered alternatives and really know what they are getting into.

I have no patience with proselytizing. There is something inherently disrespectful about telling someone that your religion is better than theirs.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
@Coriolis wrote, I have no patience with proselytizing. There is something inherently disrespectful about telling someone that your religion is better than yours.

'Understanding each person inside as having a Buddha Heart or Christ -like Heart and living according to the principles that are the underpinning of all religious faith'

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” ~Friedrich Nietzsche

"Half the people in the world think that the metaphors of their religious traditions, for example, are facts. And the other half contends that they are not facts at all. As a result we have people who consider themselves

believers because they accept metaphors as facts, and we have others who classify themselves as atheists because they think religious metaphors are lies.” Joseph Campbell

"Confucius said live the life of quality and a good man and heaven will take care of itself."

" I walk my path. Whether you believe or don't believe, the bottom line is we all have to put one foot in front of the other. When we die we will find out, or not." But I am not going to argue about it.

I know bad Christians and I know bad atheists but I also know good Christians as well good atheists, agnostic and multitude called non believers. I say live and let live."

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have no patience with proselytizing. There is something inherently disrespectful about telling someone that your religion is better than theirs.
I never answer the door for the JW's though they haven't come knocking in several years . . . But I am grateful for my copy of the Book of Mormon I got from the hotel drawer. I wonder who puts those back? Was the next guest in the room looking into an empty drawer?

" I walk my path. Whether you believe or don't believe, the bottom line is we all have to put one foot in front of the other. When we die we will find out, or not." But I am not going to argue about it.

I know bad Christians and I know bad atheists but I also know good Christians as well good atheists, agnostic and multitude called non believers. I say live and let live."
Agreed - that is the purpose of free will. Especially in this day and age where the internet is the new printing press we see more factionalism and re-tribalization. Where if someone can't agree to everything in a religious text or tradition then the entire authority is rejected - rather it should be taken with a grain of salt.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
Scripture is divinely inspired to a point. There is a continuum. People know what is divine but they cannot define it with logic or thought. They must feel through their imagination by reading a story. Whether the story is true or not is irrelevant. The more true it is while also being mythical the more potent - as a matter of science.

But there is an object in the psyche in all of us that is the Divine. To deny it is to repress your humanity. There is no single work of fiction, myth, art, poetry, or story that can stand on its own without the divine.

And there is no religion that can dictate what is divine either. They can point to it from different shelves on the echelon, but in the end, it is for each person to decide themselves what divine inspiration will seep into their soul and lift their spirit.

Even the godless believe in divinity. They believe that technology will save us, or that nature has a will. They personify the natural which is supernatural when they say "Evolution causes x, y, or z." It is true things evolve. But there is no thing evolution. That is a personification when you attribute action and will to a process. It's subtle because of language, yet it is a fact and objective truth, like gravity. But Gravity does not cause or will...it is only an event or process that perpetuates a motion or an object to accelerate. It does not actually cause a thing, but it affects it.

Thomas Aquinas wrote as much. There is nothing really new at all. It is all divine and mostly religion. That is what we do. We are people.