User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFP

Default Admitting you aren't Christian

I was wondering if other non-Christians in predominantly Christian cultures have trouble "coming out."

I'm a sweet, upper middle class, white woman living in Texas, and the natural assumption is that I'm Christian. I find that I frequently get invited to church events by new acquaintances, or someone makes a statement around me that assumes Christianity. I don't want to be rude and curtly deny their attempts at friendliness, or be blunt and say "Actually, I'm not Christian." Somehow this would be too awkward and off-putting, and not really representative of my nature. But at the same time, I want to assert my spiritual beliefs. How should I handle this situation?

The hardest part is that I belong to a religion that isn't well know - I'm a Unitarian Universalist (If you don't know what that is, I'd look it up ). I always end up fumbling through a description of it that makes Unitarianism sound more like a cult. It would be so much easier if I could just say I was Jewish or something.

Anybody else have these experiences?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

if you're a Unitarian you've probably encountered enough material to stretch the definition of "Christian" to include yourself. not sure where you stand, but it doesn't have to be a lie, just a little distorting for social ease.

as for myself, people don't seem to ask me because they suspect I'm too insane to talk about being Christian or whatever. How right they are!

Christians believe in the Trinity. As I understand it, Unitarians don't. So it would be impossible for Unitarians to be Christian.

Victor.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

that seems overly simplistic to me, but then again the history of message board discussions is a history of human temperament =)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

My whole family is very Christian, and i was brought up in a baptist church. My family all assumes that i am christian, but I am athiest, i haven't told anyone in my family, because if i did, i would never hear the end of it. I'm sure one day they will figure it out, but for now i'm not going to lead them to believe otherwise.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Ive never had a problem showing my true self to others, even if it will lead them to hate me. Id rather them hate me for what I truly am than love me for a fake.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by arborvitae View Post
    I was wondering if other non-Christians in predominantly Christian cultures have trouble "coming out."

I'm a sweet, upper middle class, white woman living in Texas, and the natural assumption is that I'm Christian. I find that I frequently get invited to church events by new acquaintances, or someone makes a statement around me that assumes Christianity. I don't want to be rude and curtly deny their attempts at friendliness, or be blunt and say "Actually, I'm not Christian." Somehow this would be too awkward and off-putting, and not really representative of my nature. But at the same time, I want to assert my spiritual beliefs. How should I handle this situation?
    I did but not for social reasons. Mine was a fear of admitting it out loud for only what I can describe as superstitious reasons. It was just weird irrational feeling; like I thought I would be struck by lightning. As for social situations, I have often not corrected people on assumptions that were made just to make life easier.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

It's irrelevant that people know what you identify as. Just say, "Thanks for the invitation but I'm busy/not interested/would rather eat nails/whatever else." Be polite and decline.

I guess I should ask... why do you want to assert your spiritual beliefs? For me, they've always been private matters.

But, yeah, I've had to deal with a lot of the same stuff too.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by arborvitae
    I don't think you have to confess your religious affliation to everyone, but you shouldn't let a perceived inability to explain it properly put you off. Hmm, how about something like a genuine: "Thank you very much for your invitation, but I'm actually a I'm a Unitarian Universalist." I think most people can read geniune-ness, and it appears they don't understand or are curious you might give a short spiel about it. I'm not too familiar with Unitarian Universalism myself, but I think something that everyone can relate to, like "We believe in using various techniques in order to develop spirirtually" might work.

MBTI
    OMNi

I have trouble believing that most Christians are Christian. So far, the only types I have ever seen that come close are Red Letter Christians and they are a huge minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.