• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and Temperament Analysis

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I found the results of this survey on eilamona.com Exploring MBTI & The INTP Mind - eilamona — Master Personality Typology Survey Report: 3.....

33w62ya.jpg

The site concluded that:
Introverts are most commonly Melancholic, and second most commonly Phlegmatic, except ISTP being most commonly Phlegmatic and second most commonly Melancholic
Extraverted Feelers are most commonly Sanguine, and second most commonly Melancholic
Extraverted Thinkers are most commonly Choleric, except ENTP being most commonly Sanguine and second most commonly Choleric

I decided to do some additional analysis on it.
By using the temperament percentages as coordinates in 4-D space, I calculated the differences between type as distances. This is definitely not the ideal way to do it, but it'll do for a quick analysis.

First, here's the types ordered by preference (%):
KiohfOY.png

Some general trends:
EFPs are the most sanguine, and ITJs are the least.
ETs are the most choleric, and IFs are the least.
IFs are the most melancholic.
Extraverts have more variance in temperament.

suUEXjB.png

The numbers indicate the distance between types, with red being closest and blue being the most distant

5kmE0ZL.png

This chart orders the closest types in terms of temperament for each type

Next I looked at how much each letter affects the temperament:

mpjLWqZ.png

The data demonstrates that the biggest differences in temperament result from I-E, followed by T-F, J-P and finally N-S

PurpleDawn

I'm definitely Melancholic, maybe a little bit Choleric, not a drop of Sanguine in me.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
So, Choleric is basically enneagram 8?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting analysis, but it looks like it doesn't take into account temperament blending, particularly with the Keirsey groups and Interaction Styles as both two different levels of temperament that combine to form blended temperaments. So some temperaments are being mixed tot he point of resembling other temperaments for certain types. (And I believe the same thing happens with Enneagram, since it doesn't allow mixing beyond wings and set "tri-types").
For ISTP be be an SP and yet get lowest on Sanguine, for instance, these tables are probably assuming the classic "humor" temperaments to be sets of "social" behavior only (which traditionally, they usually were treated as), but there's also a whole other level, which has been dubbed "conative", meaning dealing with "action" (and can also be associated with "leadership skills"). "Sanguine" simply represents a set of behaviors that are "expressive" and "people-focused". So this will be strong in types like the ESF's, which represents (in part) the "social" level. But SP is both "pragmatic" (quickly takes action based on "what works") and what's called "motive"-focused (allows others to influence them, based on apparent motive), and being driven by the function of Se, will similarly be expressive and respond to people, in its own way.

But one observation that does fit, is that temperament is shaped first by I/E, and then T/F and J/P, followed by S/N last. For T/F and J/P are what shapes both Keirseyan temperament and Interaction styles, and they easily fit the old "people vs task" dimension of classic temperament. (T, J= task focused; F, P=people focused). S/N weren't used originally in temperament, but a precursor to them was used by Kant, where what amounts to S paired together Sanguine and Melancholic, which were basically opposites in the old I/E and people/task matrix (and Phlegmatic and Choleric were simply "low" in that factor. Now, should also mention Keirsey's temperaments are blind to I/E, but again, cooperative/pragmatic are what takes its place as indicating low or high "expressiveness", which in this case, is quickness to take action rather than approach others socially).

So factored this way:
Sanguine: ESF/ENP, SP
Phlegmatic: ISF/INP, NF
Choleric: EST/ENJ, NT
Melancholic: IST/INJ, SJ
(Note, you can see where the F and P are associated with Sanguine and Phlegmatic, and the T and J with Melancholic and Choleric).

TP's and FJ's are "enigmatic" on several fronts, as they mix together temperaments with opposite people/task focus. So, while most of the IT's are Melancholic, the INTP mixes Phlegmatic with Choleric. This softens down the Choleric and hardens the Phlegmatic, so that you get a very strong Melancholic, so you can say that the IT group overall is very Melancholic. (I refer to the largely un-addressed ET/IT/EF/IF groups as the "social-image temperaments". Another grouping, EJ/IJ/EP/IP have been called the "sociability temperaments").
ISTP gets high Phlegmatic because while is actually Melancholic on the social level, it is Sanguine on the action level, which again, tones down the Sanguine, and lightens up the Melancholic. (when first trying to match the types to classic temperaments, the ITP's were the hardest to figure but did look like some sort of Phlegmatic/Melancholy combo, but when I found out about the Interaction Styles and saw how they and the Keirsey groups were what temperament mapped right onto, then I saw how how it was all sorted out).

Taibreah

What happens when Sanguine and Choleric are tied, but low? I only ask because when I took the Temperament Test I got high on Phlegmatic and medium on Melancholic. It was sort of like this: 50% Phlegmatic, 30% Melancholic, 10% Sanguine, 10% Choleric. At least from the chart it seemed to show it as half and half. I'll link it in the spoiler.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a good bet that your type will be connected to the first two. It doesn't matter what theweak ones are in relation to each other.

Enneagram
9w1
I have an inner Sanguine beneath either Melancholic or Phlegmatic. I'd say Melancholic-Sanguine~

According to Eric B's correlations I'd possibly be ISTP then!

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Would have expected ESTJ to have higher percentage of Choleric due to similarity of Te dom with ENTJ. Wondering why there is such a big difference.

Overall interesting to note the patterns, though I don't understand much about statistic analysis or the methods employed here.

I'm probably phlegmatic when I'm more healthy, and melancholic when less. Working on my standards and boundaries.

Taibreah

It's a good bet that your type will be connected to the first two. It doesn't matter what the weak ones are in relation to each other.
I don't get it, but being Phlegmatic Melancholic kind of makes me think: I'll go with how things are, but no, I'm really not happy about it.

Not saying that's how I deal with things. Or maybe I do, and I refuse to believe that's how I operate. Hmm...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would have expected ESTJ to have higher percentage of Choleric due to similarity of Te dom with ENTJ. Wondering why there is such a big difference.

Overall interesting to note the patterns, though I don't understand much about statistic analysis or the methods employed here.

I'm probably phlegmatic when I'm more healthy, and melancholic when less. Working on my standards and boundaries.
I wonder which four temperament test this study uses. There seem to be very few that are little more than "pick the traits out of the chart", which I find is only but so reliable.

I see now on the page, their definition of the temperaments is:

Temperament appears to be mainly correlated with the Introversion/Extraversion axis of MBTI.

Melancholic is described as introverted, logical, analytical, factual, private, skeptical, and cautious.
Phlegmatic is described as introverted, calm, unemotional, easygoing, accommodating, and consistent.
Both temperaments have similar traits to the stereotypical MBTI introvert.

Sanguine is described as extraverted, fun-loving, enthusiastic, persuasive, optimistic and people-oriented. These traits can also be seen in a stereotypical Extraverted Feeler.
Choleric is described as extraverted, confident, self-sufficient, decisive, opinionated, active, practical, and easily annoyed. These traits can also be seen in a stereotypical Extraverted Thinker.

So they are defining the temperaments by I/E + a bunch of behavior descriptions. They've omitted the other original factor of "responsiveness" or "people vs task" ("people-oriented" is mentioned only for the Sanguine, along with four other traits). Those descriptions issue forth from the combination of expressive and responsive behavior. But behaviors can be shared or mimicked by other temperament [combination]s.

So I think this is why this analysis has such unexpected results (like ESTJ having Phlegmatic and Melancholic as equal).

So with this in view:
Mine makes absolutely no sense to my type lmao
Which one would you say is more certain? ENFP or Melancholic and/or Choleric? ENP's are often described as being a bit less like the stereotypical "extravert", because what they extravert is an "in the head" iNtuition. So if that's what led you to choose Melancholic, it might not be true to what the temperament really is. Still, their external focus will lead them to be quicker to approach others for interaction, and they are also "people-focused" in the form of what's called "informing communication" (i.e. not as "directive", or dry and aloof in response as an ST or NJ). That's what would indicate a true "Sanguine" on the social level.
(And if you add the Sensory focus, then they will seem even more like the stereotypical Sanguine; the pure form of the temperament being represented by ESFP. I had recently posted this comment to my blog article on type What is this thing called “type” anyway? on how auxiliary Fi tends to "parent" the world with "fun", and distinguished the dominant Se and Ne as follows: “It will be colored by the dominant function; where Se will be more about physical 'fun', such as partying and performing, and with Ne, it will be about more 'abstract' nonphysical 'fun' such as humor or general 'silliness'”. Since extraversion is often assumed to include a lot of physical engagement, this may seem less extraverted-like).

The fact you you threw Choleric in there is also evidence of some level of expressiveness (e.g. like a Sanguine). Was that based on some of those descriptions (confident, opinionated, etc.)? Sanguines and other temperaments can be those things too, that's why traits lists aren't really good. Also, if in tertiary Te mode a lot (for whatever reason), you also may seem more like those Choleric descriptions, and maybe even some of the Melancholic ones.

PurpleDawn

I wonder which four temperament test this study uses. There seem to be very few that are little more than "pick the traits out of the chart", which I find is only but so reliable.

I see now on the page, their definition of the temperaments is:

Temperament appears to be mainly correlated with the Introversion/Extraversion axis of MBTI.

Melancholic is described as introverted, logical, analytical, factual, private, skeptical, and cautious.
Phlegmatic is described as introverted, calm, unemotional, easygoing, accommodating, and consistent.
Both temperaments have similar traits to the stereotypical MBTI introvert.

Sanguine is described as extraverted, fun-loving, enthusiastic, persuasive, optimistic and people-oriented. These traits can also be seen in a stereotypical Extraverted Feeler.
Choleric is described as extraverted, confident, self-sufficient, decisive, opinionated, active, practical, and easily annoyed. These traits can also be seen in a stereotypical Extraverted Thinker.

So they are defining the temperaments by I/E + a bunch of behavior descriptions. They've omitted the other original factor of "responsiveness" or "people vs task" ("people-oriented" is mentioned only for the Sanguine, along with four other traits). Those descriptions issue forth from the combination of expressive and responsive behavior. But behaviors can be shared or mimicked by other temperament [combination]s.

So I think this is why this analysis has such unexpected results (like ESTJ having Phlegmatic and Melancholic as equal).

So with this in view:

Which one would you say is more certain? ENFP or Melancholic and/or Choleric? ENP's are often described as being a bit less like the stereotypical "extravert", because what they extravert is an "in the head" iNtuition. So if that's what led you to choose Melancholic, it might not be true to what the temperament really is. Still, their external focus will lead them to be quicker to approach others for interaction, and they are also "people-focused" in the form of what's called "informing communication" (i.e. not as "directive", or dry and aloof in response as an ST or NJ). That's what would indicate a true "Sanguine" on the social level.
(And if you add the Sensory focus, then they will seem even more like the stereotypical Sanguine; the pure form of the temperament being represented by ESFP. I had recently posted this comment to my blog article on type What is this thing called “type” anyway? on how auxiliary Fi tends to "parent" the world with "fun", and distinguished the dominant Se and Ne as follows: “It will be colored by the dominant function; where Se will be more about physical 'fun', such as partying and performing, and with Ne, it will be about more 'abstract' nonphysical 'fun' such as humor or general 'silliness'”. Since extraversion is often assumed to include a lot of physical engagement, this may seem less extraverted-like).

The fact you you threw Choleric in there is also evidence of some level of expressiveness (e.g. like a Sanguine). Was that based on some of those descriptions (confident, opinionated, etc.)? Sanguines and other temperaments can be those things too, that's why traits lists aren't really good. Also, if in tertiary Te mode a lot (for whatever reason), you also may seem more like those Choleric descriptions, and maybe even some of the Melancholic ones.

Yes, I am absolutely certain on being an ENFP after years of research, that is not even questionable. However, I do not act like a Sanguine in most any sense of the word. "Sanguine people are boisterous, bubbly, chatty, openly emotional, social extroverts."- that is not me at all.

Here are a few examples of why I say Melancholy rather than Sanguine (You can tell me if I'm misinterpreting it, I don't know much about temperaments):

- I hate when people are too openly emotional or too chatty or too fake (Too Fe if you will :p)
- I'm extremely perfectionistic in my world view
- I'm off in my head 99% of the time, not very realistic or coordinated (That's just dom Ne tho)
- I'm not incredibly social, only around people I know well
- I'm the farthest thing from attention seeking
- I'm very individualistic and have a fear of conforming or being controlled in any way
- I'm EXTREMELY independent
- I'm often depressed
- I'm more of a lone wolf, I'm the farthest thing from a follower, I just do my own thing
- I'm not very outwardly expressive
- I have very strong morals against things like Drinking, Drugs, Sex, and am therefore kind of less social given where I live

I could MAYBE see Melancholy - Sanguine if I'm around ppl I like and trust.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The “Sanguine” description you're using would be most likely for a “pure”& Sanguine, which would be best represented by the ESFP. As alluded to, changing over from S to N, you lose the Se affect, which drives most of those behaviors, plus many of the others you listed. (This, inasmuch as they're not stereotypes that aren't applicable for everyone of the type). And even then, some of those terms like “boisterous” and even “bubbly” are bad overgeneralizations. This is why one can't go by stuff like that.
On the temperament level, you're going from SP to NF, which is “cooperative” and thus less expressive. SP is the “Sanguine” on the leadership level, while NF might be more like a Phlegmatic, which will have a lower energy level, which they will try to conserve by being less active and more independent. This will temper the Sanguine in the “social” area (ENP). Still, that temperament will still determine how you express (approach) and respond to (want from) the people you do interact with.
Other stuff like “depression” really isn't typological. Melancholies may appear more “depressive”, while Sanguines will generally keep themselves distracted with socialization, but other factors in will shape that.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Been a lot more sanguine in the past few weeks, maybe months. I don't know where it comes from because I'm usually on the Melancholic or Phlegmatic side of things. I wonder if it's a mood thing because last year I was very melancholic, almost dysfunctionally so.

I wonder if it's because I've been developing my lower Fe. I've been recently questioning ESTP because of the temporality of function development (If I am ISP, then why is Ni taking so long to develop?) but it could also be the "female feeling" societal preference forcing things to develop out of order. That, and I just can't see myself as a Se-dom.

If I am equal-ish parts Melancholy and Sanguine, it makes sense then that I'd mis-temperament myself as a phlegmatic, which seems consistent with what's been said about ISTP.