• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You aren't an INFP.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Alright, alright, the title is a little bit abrasive. But I've been thinking recently...I have a hunch that at least a few more INFPs on this site are really ISFJs. Here's my brainchild from a few days ago.

I wonder how often Si is confused with Fi. More than people think. Si is about impressions, perceptions, reflecting on the past and applying it to the present and future, personal sentimentality...Si users could actually be extremely introspective and self-aware. Si notices internal changes and differences in reactions to feelings, right? I think SJ introverts especially would be prone to reflection, because that's what introverted functions do, and the psychic energy flows inward. ISFJs could be very skilled in the intrapersonal intelligence.

And then Fe...some sensitive ISFJs might be very attracted to the "kind, gentle" stereotype that is associated with INFPs. Fe wants to affect the world and make a difference, to leave an impact. That desire could lead to idealism, which is also an INFP stereotype. And I think it's safe to say that almost all of SJs - or at least the vast majority - have some connection to 1. Whether a core 1, a 2w1, a 9w1, or one of those as a fix. (Really, an ISFJ with absolutely no connection to 1 seems exceedingly rare.) 1 is all about rightness and how things ought to be, right? 1 is moral and principled, in tune with what is right and what is not. This could easily be mistaken for the INFP "core values" and "personal sense of what is right." Fe also knows what is right; morality is not exclusively Fi. Maybe Fe is just more prone to overarching, all-applicable rightness? Like, a strong morality that applies to humanity. That's just speculation though.

Ti...I know much less about this function in general. But I think Ti enjoys playing with logic. It develops internal systems of how things work and fit together, correct? This adds an intellectual side to the ISFJ. Their tertiary Ti is offended by the "stupid homebody" stereotype, so they would naturally claim another type. The ISFJ is perfectly capable of deep conversations - Si reflects on what used to be, Fe has insight into relationships and maybe humanity, and Ti has systems and internal logic. Imagine the philosophical conversations that could arise from that! Ne could also come into play by drawing parallels, metaphors, and connections - and might add a touch of quirkiness and idiosyncrasy that is always associated with NPs.

Si notices what is different, in the self and in others. This could provide profound insight into the nature of human beings and the fluidity of reality. And imagination isn't really a type thing - anyone can be funny.

A strong romantic streak could also stem from Si. "Remember the days of old, when all was rosy?" "I wish I could be carefree like a child again." "I want to read through all my old diaries and hold on to memorabilia so I can reflect." "I love thinking about who I used to be, and who I am now because of that." It could be hard for an ISFJ to hold on to reality, because they're prone to getting lost in past reflections and thoughts. Add that to their introversion and need to withdraw. This could totally lead to a dreamy disposition, like an INFP.

I know some of this is just weaving in what others have suggested here, but a great deal of it is my own thinking. What do you think?

You don't have to an INFP to be a freewheeling dreamer with flowers in your hair and a romantic navelgazer who likes to journal, write fiction, and stare at passing clouds. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I've said this before. It's worth mentioning that I initially frequently typed as INFP, and I'm really not, though I'm not sure I could be more FP, even though sometimes I go into Te mode (beholden to the inferior, or over reliance on tertiary, depending on whether you think I'm an EFP or ISFP). I'm too forceful to be INFP, because it's an extremely introverted type like INTP, while ISFP can be called ambiverted, and so can ENFP. ENFP seems doubtful to me now though because of my vivid almost eidectic memories, and my fact collection, I really like to gathet information.

But yes I've said that some IFP here seem ISFJ.

EDIT: EIDECTIC not auto-didactic, though I'm definitely that.

á´…eparted

passages
It's always been interesting to me that the mistypings tend to be confined between ISFJ, INFP, INFJ, and to some lesser extent INTP, and INTJ. It's almost always the first 3 though. A lot of it comes down to stereptypes and the accidental political tilts that get placed in personality theory.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You don't have to an INFP to be a freewheeling dreamer with flowers in your hair and a romantic navelgazer who likes to journal, write fiction, and stare at passing clouds. :)

Definitely. Actually, I feel like if you do embody that kind of "flower child" chances are you're not NFP. We're not consistent enough for that. :doh:

Oh, now that I think about it my ESFJ bestie is kind of a flower child. Her blog is very naturey and peaceful and stuff.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'm trying to see how many INFPs I can convert. The whole "we have a lack of ISFJs on this forum" might stem from the fact that they're all mistyped INFPs.

That said, they might be very stubborn to give up that label. I'm not naming names, either - because I honestly have no idea who they might be.

But if you're an INFP...please, please consider this thread! :)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] your time has come. :p

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I actually think INFPs might be less "feelery and carefree" than people make them out to be. I actually know an INFP 9w1 who's very stoic and unfeeling. Kind, yes. Feeling, no.

Leading with a Perceiving function might actually make someone super disorganized as well, by the way. That's why the P/J disorganized/organized stereotype doesn't work. Also I don't think that's type-related anyways.

I'm a roll here, aren't I? *eats cinnamon roll*

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NO, don't take away one of the few NFPs on here i relate to :cry:

Hahaha I just remembered when it was on vent I think, that she was like yeah I'm a total ISFJ. Lol, I kind of wanted to believe in it. :unsure:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Hey, maybe we could all collectively write some better type descriptions? Maybe function by function. Like, INFP description - Fi makes them this, Ne makes them this, etc.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahaha if Evee wasn't banned, this would of definitely had been fun to tag.

You silly INFP/ENFJ/INFJ/INTJ.

á´…eparted

passages
Definitely. Actually, I feel like if you do embody that kind of "flower child" chances are you're not NFP. We're not consistent enough for that. :doh:

Oh, now that I think about it my ESFJ bestie is kind of a flower child. Her blog is very naturey and peaceful and stuff.

This is slightly off topic, but my mother (INFJ 9w8) more or less raised me to be a flower child. That sure didn't work out :laugh:.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, well said.

*looks over shoulder*
:unsure:
:alttongue:

I actually think INFPs might be less "feelery and carefree" than people make them out to be. I actually know an INFP 9w1 who's very stoic and unfeeling. Kind, yes. Feeling, no.

Leading with a Perceiving function might actually make someone super disorganized as well, by the way. That's why the P/J disorganized/organized stereotype doesn't work. Also I don't think that's type-related anyways.

I'm a roll here, aren't I? *eats cinnamon roll*

I was with you until I got to this part.:tongue10:
Having been accused of being cold by SFs in my life for most of my life, I am just over being accused of "not having feelings". :mad:

I think Jung and Van der Hoop covered that though. We have the feelz, we just don't express it as much or not in a conventional way others would call "feeling".

I would never call myself "stoic", but who knows how I appear from a distance to an SF. Upclose, most consider me unsettlingly unpredictable in emotions (temperamental), but also very fervent and animated about the feelz. Some Fi-dom definitely have a calm warmth, and that is a "mask" common to 9s, but a fair amount of us are more "zealous" alternating with an apparant indifference; there is a lack of evenness.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is slightly off topic, but my mother (INFJ 9w8) more or less raised me to be a flower child. That sure didn't work out :laugh:.

Interesting mom type O: (aka not ESFJ)

So did your dad have more of an influence on you? I remember he was ESTJ, but I also remember you were frequently annoyed with him in your blog posts.

My mom (ENFJ 2w3) didn't really raise me to be anything, she just wanted to provide me with opportunities and freedom she didn't have as a kid. Wouldn't be surprised if that's why I turned out to be 7 - when you have two Je parents helping you out you can more or less have a carefree childhood.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I was raised by an ISTJ and an ESFJ.

I'm a hybrid. :newwink:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was raised by an ISTJ and an ESFJ.

I'm a hybrid. :newwink:

I FUCKING LITERALLY JUST SENT CHAN A REP SAYING ALL MOMS ARE ESFJS AND ALL DADS ARE ISTJS AND THEN I REFRESH THE PAGE AND YOU

Edit: Tell me your dad's the ESFJ and your mom's the ISTJ, prove me wrong

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom is an ISTJ and dad an ISFJ ;)

á´…eparted

passages
Interesting mom type O: (aka not ESFJ)

So did your dad have more of an influence on you? I remember he was ESTJ, but I also remember you were frequently annoyed with him in your blog posts.

My mom (ENFJ 2w3) didn't really raise me to be anything, she just wanted to provide me with opportunities and freedom she didn't have as a kid. Wouldn't be surprised if that's why I turned out to be 7 - when you have two Je parents helping you out you can more or less have a carefree childhood.

My parents had more or less equal influence on me growing up. At times one would have more influence than the other (sometimes for years at a time). It evens out.

My father is the same types as EJCC.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I FUCKING LITERALLY JUST SENT CHAN A REP SAYING ALL MOMS ARE ESFJS AND ALL DADS ARE ISTJS AND THEN I REFRESH THE PAGE AND YOU

My grandfather really was an ISTJ - a true authoritarian leader, ex military captain, a voracious reader, community minded while still being anti social and cranky, 10 pairs of khaki pants. Late in life he got into Norman Vicent Peale positive thinking and trying his hand at raising an empowered educated girl, but this deviated from who he showed himself to be earlier in life. The only other type I've ever considered for him is INTJ.

My dad was an EXTP. My mom is easily an ESFP. No ESFJs for miles...though my real grandma was likely an ISFJ. My mom remembers her as being chilly but lady like. I remember her being a very typical woman of her generation, very nurturing, lots of plants, teaching Sunday school, but with an interesting backbone, she got my grandfather to quit drinking when he was about 40.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, my dads are an ENTP and an ISFP :harhar:

But my mom is an ISFJ. :blush:

Really, this is usually explained away with population percentages and theories on who is more inclined to start a family....