• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Looking at cognitive functions as "energy reserves?"

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
So I had a thought, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to think about this, that cognitive function stacks are sort of like energy reserves or "gas tanks."
So what I'm thinking is that the dominant function is the largest "fuel cell" and capable of storing a lot more cognitive energy than the inferior function. I subscribe to the axis theory of functions so if one has more Ne then it comes at the expense at Si. However, I have a problem with suggesting that an Ne dominant has poor usage of Si. Frankly, my Si is pretty damn good, easily comparable to Si dominants. See, even though Si might be my inferior function I still have it. The true difference between me ( an inferior Si user) and an ISxJ ( a dominant Si user) is not our use proficiency but rather our use energy threshold. My "Si tank" isn't capable of holding as much energy as an ISxJ. What this translates into is that my cognitive hunger ( or need for cognitive energy) will gradually increase the more of my inferior function use. That function will be spent much sooner than my dominant function and my demand for Si energy with an empty Si tank will become problematic.
Then I thought about "Ok, how do my functions reenergize?" The answer, I think, is by using more of the opposite function on the axis. Thus , as a dominant Ne user, using some Si actually recharges my Ne and using my Ne recharges my Si. This also keeps balance and keeps me in the domain of my dominant function and keeps me cognitively satisfied most of the time.
I think this helps avoid confusion when it comes to self-typing and typing others. For example, my cousin/best friend is an ISFJ and I am an ENTP. Often times we can 'Ne out' very well together and much to my enjoyment his proficiency of Ne is basically the same as mine. However, the difference is that he can only stay in this mode for a limited amount of time. Eventually, if we stay purely theoretical for too long then his cognitive tank will demand some kind of detailed grounding to these flighty ideas (Si energy). Then we start talking about practicality which we are both great at but then my Si tank runs out and I want to get back into theoretical musings.

Does this make sense to anyone?

jakopic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ne and Si together probably represent how we try to structure the world of information. Ne is more focused into creation of new ideas, Si is good for structuring it, a stable idea of how things work.

So its probably 2 different tank shapes but the same substance inside. Si being more like a round sphere, Ne is more into expanding unsymmetrical.

Each tank has the plasticity to expand, depending on the potential the brain has.
Agree?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Each tank has the plasticity to expand, depending on the potential the brain has.
Agree?

I would agree. Perhaps age and maturity + life experiences engaging the functions adds to their total energy capacity in the psyche. However, considering this train of thought, I think the higher functions would be far more efficient at expanding than the lower ones. The lower ones would have a greater cost.