123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Are You Afraid to Take Risks?

Do you prefer to take risks, or to avoid risks? The answer to this question is determined by your Perceiving function and not, as one would expect, by your Judging function.

To the extent that judgment is involved - because the use of the judging functions may be relatively weak or strong - there will be consequences taken into consideration before taking a risk. But the risk itself first involves Perception.

Si and Ni are risk-avoiders (or risk-aversives), because the rational judging function, which is extroverted, automatically comes into play and controls all ideas that lead to possible loss. Se and Ne, on the other hand, are risk-takers. Irrational perceiving, when dominant, brings a great degree of spontaneity, and perhaps an aura of danger, to the personality. In practice, such people are thought to lack judgment. But rational judging can seem too controlling because it sets cogent and judicious limits on spontaneity. They are considered "party-poopers" by the Irrational types because they use too much judgment. At best, you will see a "controlled spontaneity" from the more advanced Si or Ni dominants. At worst, you will see something resembling a robot completely lacking in creativity.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
    Robin Williams (Ne-dominant)

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower (Si-dominant)
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'm inclined to agree that J/P is the biggest MBTI-related factor when it comes to risk-aversion, but I think E/I also makes a contribution, with IJs being the most cautious risk-avoiders and EPs the most impulsive adventurers.

I'd say I'm strongly risk-averse.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I don't see myself as a conscious risk-taker - when I am speculating about various approaches to a given situation, I'm generally conservative. While I may create elaborate mental plans, I'm likely to realise their stupidity and move on to something more productive. However, I can put myself at risk in various situations due to my volatility and desire to share my thoughts and emotions with others - however controversial they may be.
    Last edited by Kullervo; 08-25-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I take risks but not all kinds. It has to feel worth it to me. I'm very averse to risky behavior or situations when I'm not really into what I'm doing. For example, fast cars, bungee jumping and the like? No. Not worth it to me. But I do leap head first into adventures with unknown results because what if something wonderful happens? And if not, I'll either learn from it, or at least have a novel experience.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    I take risks but not all kinds. It has to feel worth it to me. I'm very averse to risky behavior or situations when I'm not really into what I'm doing. For example, fast cars, bungee jumping and the like? No. Not worth it to me. But I do leap head first into adventures with unknown results because what if something wonderful happens? And if not, I'll either learn from it, or at least have a novel experience.
    This. However the things you said as too risky are things I'd freely do, and the risks you do I avoid for being too unpredictable. I need to know what the endgame should be. Physical risks bother me much less as they can be judged more cleanly.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

It depends on the risk. In some ways I am an extraordinary risk-taking person. In other ways, I'm really not. Actually this question made me think about it, and before I thought about it I'd consider myself risk-averse. But that is really more my persona than how I really am. Sometimes I'll see a risk in things that no one else would even think twice about. And in things that most people would consider crazy, I'll do without much thought.
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

In relationships I seem to take risks and anything else no. Think that's it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I've never truly understood the concept of avoiding risks, have been J-walking since I was 2 1/2. Drank Alcohol, and dated since I was 7. I have yet to do something serious such as starting a riot or go skydiving :/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

And so IXXPs are the perfect balance?

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

As in IxxP, I don't consider anything a risk. I don't like that word. I try to put a lot of effort into calculating my decisions.
    Everything is weighed differently.