User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Empathy/Sympathy, Fi/Fe

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    I think only if it's deeply felt, as per the definition of empathy. But then maybe there is a version where you understand but not actually feel it? What's that called?
    Cognitive empathy?

Senior Member Array
    8+7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Cognitive empathy?
    Ah, so it's the affective empathy I'm not too good at.

Nice links

INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Another example I can think of is from earlier today; a barber messed up my hair pretty badly, forcing me to have to get a buzz cut (which I don't necessarily mind). While I'd imagine a Fe-user would hold a more obvious grudge towards him, I just accepted it, payed him what he asked, and left without a fuss. For whatever reason, I couldn't bring myself to blame him directly for what he'd done, even though he did me an obvious disservice. Perhaps it makes me spineless, but it felt like the right thing to do and I figured if he were to end up getting fired for poor service, I didn't want to be the person to do him in, no matter how 'inconsiderate' I may have perceived his actions to be.
    I would be polite, pay them, maybe tip them, but probably never let them touch my hair again. Unless I thought they had done it intentionally, which I would not assume because that would be completely self-defeating. Intent matters for me in this context. If I found out they were not licensed but pretending to be, I'd be pretty miffed, though. If it turned out they were ill or very upset but usually did a better job, I might give them another chance. Maybe. I like my hair long and it takes awhile to grow out, so I might be too chicken. I might let them have a go at one of my kids if they were okay with it after full-disclosure.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

4w5 sp/sx

I'm not entirely sure they're type related. I always did equate Fi with empathy, but that's just because that's what I have. I am able to deeply empathize with somebody that I can invoke very little sympathy for.

It takes a conscious effort for me to sympathize. My mode of responding to people's concerns is essentially, "It sucks to be you..." This is not being callus, or even received as such because it's usually apparent that what I'm also saying is, "I know it because it sucks in the same way to be me."

Fe in my opinion appears to be more all-encompassing and is more likely to want to balance between collectivism and individualism, wanting to emphasize everyone's individual strengths when organizing the group and believing everyone is ultimately interconnected by a common desire or feeling, whereas Fi likely sees themselves as a free-spirit merely observing the world from afar, more likely to act individualistically and live by the motto that "they were not born attached to any other person and will only ever be forced to live only with themselves", silently obtaining stimuli from the outer world that will further enhance their self-image and clarify their individual pathway.

Fe might also be more inclined to serve either as the leader or follower, while Fi will desire to be the loner or individualist of the group.

729 sx/sp
    IEE Ne

I find it much easier to empathize than to sympathize. I have a hard time responding emotionally to someone else's situation without putting myself in their shoes. Sometimes this makes me feel selfish since I'm so unable to feel the pain of others without imagining it as my own. I do this almost instinctively though, and feel like I'm a deeply empathetic person.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

5w4 sx

All humans are capable of both sympathy and empathy, regardless of whether they use Fi or Fe.

F is simply an evaluation of worth, its not really about empathy or sympathy, but both of those come with an evaluation of worth(along with many other processes, most of which are totally unrelated to MBTI, but N is also needed in empathy and sympathy).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung