User Tag List

First 56789 Last

I would say a person's dominant functions would find conflict with their inferior function when is expressed as dominant and auxiliary by another. The key being the stacking. I am tinkering with an idea (though I don't know how universal it would be) that a person would only be happy with one of their inferior functions being used if it is them using it.

I have my doubts that any functions are guaranteed to be in conflict purely through their own inherent characteristics. It comes down to the personality of the person. For example I have seen plenty of Fi/Ti tension but I have also seen envy and admiration. The same for Si/Ni, Se/Ne, Ti/Te etc.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    why Ti & Fi but not Te & Fe?
    or are you just not in a position to experience much of the later?

also at this point, wouldn't it make more sense to list the functions that don't conflict?

i don't think i ever had a conflict with an SP's Se. i may have had conflicts with NJ's inferior Se, but i am still not sure if that's correct to attribute it to so.
    I don't think I have a complete understanding of Si and Se, but encounter some conflicts based on Si having an internalized ideal or personal need for how to live in the external world, while Se is constantly exploring new experiences and sensations.

In music I see this expressed with Si holding to an absolute ideal of what is the best music, how is it best performed, what is the ideal technique and the one best way to teach it, etc. Se can seem rebellious against these ideals by wanting to try out everything and focuses more on breadth than depth.

I remember a Se-dom poster here a couple of years ago starting a thread about a conflict with sexuality she had with her Si-dom partner. She wanted it different every time and to be adventurous, while he had a narrower range of ways he enjoyed it. I suspect the same can be true for approaching food, or anything.

My impression is that since these preferences play out in the concrete world there is more tendency for people's preferences to bump into each other while Ni and Ne can stay in idea space, so people can come together to compare differences, but then retreat and recuperate from differences.

This is just a hypothesis and not really a conclusion, so further input would be interesting.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

garbage

The OP's specific list and general principle are probably right.

Of those, if we're to believe the forum, Fi and Fe conflict the most, bar none. Somehow, this happens regardless of where they are in one's function stacking.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    The OP's specific list and general principle are probably right.

Of those, if we're to believe the forum, Fi and Fe conflict the most, bar none. Somehow, this happens regardless of where they are in one's function stacking.
    Very true…

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

why Ti & Fi but not Te & Fe?
    or are you just not in a position to experience much of the later?

also at this point, wouldn't it make more sense to list the functions that don't conflict?

i don't think i ever had a conflict with an SP's Se. i may have had conflicts with NJ's inferior Se, but i am still not sure if that's correct to attribute it to so.
    Yes, you are right, Te and Fe definitely conflict. Also I never said that Ne and Ni conflict with Se, I said they conflict with Si. Ne especially conflicts with Si because Si constantly has the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and just want everything to stay the same all the time. While on the other hand, Ne constantly wants to change things, and wants new stuff all the time. It causes a huge rift between the two.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Ti and Te.
    Fi and Fe.
    Si and Se.
    Ni and Ne.

These function pairs just don't get along when acting as dominants in two different people respectively.

For example, Ti and Te doms are constantly at war with each other. The relationship could be characterized as nerds vs. bullies. Fe doesn't bother Ti nearly as much as Te. Fe may only seem annoying to them in comparison. Fi and Fe I've heard tend to quarrel over matters, but I'm not sure why.

Si and Se - I've seen Se react strongly against Si, but I don't know why. And I don't know what kind of sparks fly between Ni vs. Ne.

Looking for answers here...
    They exist on perpendicular planes.
    The introverted functions are analytical - the extraverted ones are utilitarian.
    The introverted functions are self-referential - the extraverted ones are extended to others and the environment.

These functional mismatches is what prompted socionics to develop a theory of intertype relationships. In this theory the types that get along best are those who share cognitive functions, all of them or at least one pair. The types that constantly misunderstand one another are those which don't share any functions in common; these are placed in opposing quadra (beta - delta, alpha - gamma).

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Yes, you are right, Te and Fe definitely conflict. Also I never said that Ne and Ni conflict with Se, I said they conflict with Si. Ne especially conflicts with Si because Si constantly has the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and just want everything to stay the same all the time. While on the other hand, Ne constantly wants to change things, and wants new stuff all the time. It causes a huge rift between the two.
    What if it can be made better?

Society

I never said that Ne and Ni conflict with Se
    i wasn't contradicting you - i was following my own advice in that "at this point we should probably try to list the functions that don't conflict".

Ne especially conflicts with Si because Si constantly has the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and just want everything to stay the same all the time. While on the other hand, Ne constantly wants to change things, and wants new stuff all the time. It causes a huge rift between the two.
    thats sort of interesting isn't it? Ne & Si seem to be cognitively tied together - two sides of the same brain slice - but on the sociological level they are often outright political rivals.

i'm not sure if Si is just "wanting to keep things the same" - i think there might be a strong correlation between Si and the yearning to "the good old days" - the attempt to recreate a past perfect point in time that never existed objectively as a moment (since it's actually an eclectic composition of memories melded into one over time).

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I don't think I have a complete understanding of Si and Se, but encounter some conflicts based on Si having an internalized ideal or personal need for how to live in the external world, while Se is constantly exploring new experiences and sensations.

In music I see this expressed with Si holding to an absolute ideal of what is the best music, how is it best performed, what is the ideal technique and the one best way to teach it, etc. Se can seem rebellious against these ideals by wanting to try out everything and focuses more on breadth than depth.

I remember a Se-dom poster here a couple of years ago starting a thread about a conflict with sexuality she had with her Si-dom partner. She wanted it different every time and to be adventurous, while he had a narrower range of ways he enjoyed it. I suspect the same can be true for approaching food, or anything.

My impression is that since these preferences play out in the concrete world there is more tendency for people's preferences to bump into each other while Ni and Ne can stay in idea space, so people can come together to compare differences, but then retreat and recuperate from differences.

This is just a hypothesis and not really a conclusion, so further input would be interesting.
    i can sort of see that happening, i suppose what i didn't think of when i asked you this is.. the population of this discussion, because right now this is sort of reminding me of those abortion debate where all debaters are men. it would be interesting to have feedback from SPs and SJs on the matter.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

I think Fi and Fe, in intimate relationships at least. I've noticed for me, with ENTPs our biggest conflicts have to do with completely misunderstanding each other in the feelings department, but if we can come back to a place of logic it works out ok. With INFJs, I think it is ok because we have the first and last functions in common, so some how there is more of a balance. I never get along well with ESFJs, but I like ENFJs, even though they are mean to me sometimes (maybe that was just my ex.) ISFJ? I think I've always wished I could have more of the traits of one, but I've never dated one and have no ISFJ friends, so I don't know how we'd get along. I don't think I even know any ESTPs, but my INFJ sister married an ISTP and he is awesome. I'm rambling and have no point.

i'm not sure if Si is just "wanting to keep things the same" - i think there might be a strong correlation between Si and the yearning to "the good old days"
    Upon asking a physician why a certain test must be performed at a specific time, she commented: "It's always been done that way." I told her that was not an acceptable answer.