• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Loop Theory?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard this idea mentioned before, but never advocated or explained in depth. Personally, I find that this model best explains the machinations of my own mental processes, but I don't want anyone to feel that I'm imposing the system on them as superior to MBTI or Jung's cognitive function models. Please feel free to contribute or offer your own thoughts on your particular type or types that you are familiar with.

Typology enthusiasts frequently describe problem solving through a step-by-step process in which one attempts to find or perfect solutions through various cognitive functions in descending porder of the functions' respective strengths. For example Ne -> Fi -> Te -> Si. Theorist who do allow for dom-ter loops (i.e. the "Ne-Te bitchslap") always mention such loops in connection to unhealthy behavior, or presume that they are a reaction to a stressful situation.

I, however, find that I seem to operate primarily through function loops. Perhaps this is related to my ambiversion, or perhaps I simply have strong Te and/or underdeveloped Fi. However, the model I drafted seems to explain things more clearly than either of these considerations.

I have loops that I rely on more, and loops that I rarely employ. All loops can be both healthy or unhealthy, depending on how they are used:

Ne-Fi is perhaps my default mode. I use this loop to nurture relationships, write poetry, and develop my moral and ethical philosophies. This loops is easy to engage in, but i often overuse it and can become burnt out.

Ne-Te is nearly as common as Ne-Fi. This is how I plan, take action, and solve problems. I am most productive when I engage this loop, and I feel energized and efficient. It's not a state that I could live in all of the time, and yet this is the loop that most people, especially if we aren't very very close, associate me with. I originally tested as an xNTP on a test that did not consider cognitive functions. Ne-Te is renewing, but it can be reactive.

Ne-Si is a somewhat primal drive, on of the main conflicts that define me. As such, it can seem somewhat desperate (fleeing only to return), but it is also healing and restorative.

Fi-Te is one of my least trusted loops. I use it to rationalize my beliefs, but I become almost neurotic in attempting to ensure that I'm not avoiding truth. On the other hand, this loop can protect me and help me process and resolve inconsistencies.

Fi-Si can be difficult for me to engage in, but it is vital for emotional maintenance and introspection. Ne likes to look forward, but I can only heal by resolving past issues.

Te-Si is my weakest loop, generally used only in resignation or to end arguments. However, I did once experience it in a positive way, which lead to even better problem solving than my Ne-Te loop. I hope to develop it more in the future.

I may add more types in a while, but feel free to beat me to it.

Mole

Permabanned
Any repitition will induce a trance. A loop is a repitition. So a loop will induce a trance.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I found some interesting stuff related to this in socionics. Under that typology, types have something called Contact and Inert subtypes. The inert subtypes are the ones who over-use their dominant and tertiary functions and fall into these dom-tert loops that MBTI describes. Socionics goes further to propose that each type needs a dual, or another compatible type, to kick them out of this dead-lock state. In other words if someone can engage your auxiliary or inferior function, then this person can help you break out of the loop. For example, the constant mental ruminations and overanalyses of Ti-INTPs can be alleviated by another person supplying them with their auxiliary Ne or inferior Fe. I found socionics has a bit more developed approach to this topic than does MBTI. This is not called "functional loops" there, only assumed that different subtypes will over-use different functions.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I found some interesting stuff related to this in socionics. Under that typology, types have something called Contact and Inert subtypes. The inert subtypes are the ones who over-use their dominant and tertiary functions and fall into these dom-tert loops that MBTI describes. Socionics goes further to propose that each type needs a dual, or another compatible type, to kick them out of this dead-lock state. In other words if someone can engage your auxiliary or inferior function, then this person can help you break out of the loop. For example, the constant mental ruminations and overanalyses of Ti-INTPs can be alleviated by another person supplying them with their auxiliary Ne or inferior Fe. I found socionics has a bit more developed approach to this topic than does MBTI. This is not called "functional loops" there, only assumed that different subtypes will over-use different functions.

MBTI doesent say anything about function loops, its just one author that theorized such thing and people talking about it on the internets