User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    ok, but when you mean by "change very slowly", do you mean...change as in 'develop our shadow function' , or 'changing our Type' , for example, from an INTP into an INTJ, or INTP into an ISTP ? ..
    What I mean is that even if it is possible to change type, by the time a person reaches adulthood it is very difficult. Most people simply develop their weaker functions and/or learn to use their stronger functions more effectively.

i don't know, but i personally think that it's always possible to develop our 'shadow/weakness' parts, but to change entirely , even changing our "P" to become totally a "J", hence , from INTP into an INTJ, would be a LOT harder,..if not impossible...
    I still don't have any facts to back my statement, but based from my own personal observation of people close to me in my daily-life, from the adolescents age 'till their 40's, 50's (eg: my Dad) , it seems like this way..
    I could be entirely wrong, though...I'm being open-minded.
    I had a theatre professor that used to say, "In a play there is no character development, only character revelation." I'm inclined to say that this is analogous to real life as well. Are we truly developing ourselves as we age or is it closer to say that we discover who we really are? I believe it is the latter.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I had a theatre professor that used to say, "In a play there is no character development, only character revelation." I'm inclined to say that this is analogous to real life as well. Are we truly developing ourselves as we age or is it closer to say that we discover who we really are? I believe it is the latter.
    Oh, you're such a P.

Seriously, though:
    P's generally see truth as something to be discovered (reactive/exploratory).
    J's generally see truth as something to be created (initiating).

Art tends to manifest with the same bias. J's usually have a vision they then want to implement; P's usually interact with the work as it develops, so that the piece "creates itself."

(For example, Stephen King has referred to stories as similar to the Tommyknocker ship: An excavation that the artist seeks to reveal/uncover. This is typical P.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd have to agree. I don't think it is possible to truly change your type. Don't look at that as a negative, though. We all have our place.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    infj

Default Type engineering

It seems like there might be potential to change type chemically, one day. Peoples personalities do change with drunkeness or insanity, in both cases an IxFx can turn into an ExTx, with side effects like idiocy.

I wonder about testosterone and estrogen. I couldn't help notice the similarity between the MB observation that personalities become more well rounded wirh maturity and the discovery that testoserone goes up relative to estrogen in women with maturity and goes down in men at the same time.

I only have second hand experience of people taking steroids, they are said to become more agressive, I understand this as more ExTx.

I think alcholics are sometimes high in estrogen, some are very mellow, some maybe not.

Anyway, is it a good idea to change type? they're probably all there for a reason (in our adaptation to this planet).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, you're such a P.

Seriously, though:
    P's generally see truth as something to be discovered (reactive/exploratory).
    J's generally see truth as something to be created (initiating).

Art tends to manifest with the same bias. J's usually have a vision they then want to implement; P's usually interact with the work as it develops, so that the piece "creates itself."
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'd have to agree. I don't think it is possible to truly change your type. Don't look at that as a negative, though. We all have our place.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Heh, as soon as I saw this thread title I knew an INFP would be behind it.
    Dammit, I was just about to post this exact same comment. Again. Well played, Past Me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

it's not change, it's balance. you don't completely switch preferences, you learn not to hold on too tight to your preferences.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    I'm just curious as how easy (or possibility %) we can change Type?
    It's great likelihood impossible. But another typer may give you another type.

MBTI
    INFJ

It doesn't matter if MBTI is hard wired into our biology or if it's simply a human construct. A person's personality and modes of thinking are mostly solidified once they reach late teens to early 20's. After that they will change very slowly.
    I highly doubt that people experience a significant loss in their ability to develop their inferior functions in age range of the 20's. People just become more willing to accept the abilities they already have at that age without having much confidence that they'll be able to develop further. There seems to be some kind of limiting belief that the human mind reaches some kind of 'peak' during the 20's and 'burns out' afterwards.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think people can change type for a time, maybe a certain time of their lives. But soon enough, they will revert back to the type that they were born with. I think that deep, down, we will never change
    <3