User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Oberon

There are quite a few high-end boutique bourbons out there now, but I know nothing about them. Sadly.

MBTI
    INTP

Question for the bourbon drinkers out there. I have been going through a 7&7 stage here lately. I was talking to someone and they mentioned that Seagrams 7 was a crap bourbon and that is why it is usually found mixed. Thoughts? Also, they mentioned a good cheap bourbon is Makers Mark.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Question for the bourbon drinkers out there. I have been going through a 7&7 stage here lately. I was talking to someone and they mentioned that Seagrams 7 was a crap bourbon and that is why it is usually found mixed. Thoughts? Also, they mentioned a good cheap bourbon is Makers Mark.
    Makers is pretty good.

Oberon

Seagrams 7 Crown technically isn't even bourbon, but a blended whiskey. Its most popular usage is in whiskey cocktails, and in that role I believe it's found its most appropriate niche. It makes a pretty good Manhattan, but I don't recommend it for drinking straight up.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Makers is pretty good.
    Yeah, that is a good one. Maker's and Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek are probably my usual bourbon drinks. They are the best of the bourbons that are at almost every bar these days. Heaven Hill is probably my favorite cheap bourbon. I once drank a liter of it, and, well, it was a rough night.

P.S. Oddly enough, for being a big whiskey fan, I can't stand Southern Comfort.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

I suggest a vodka martini with blue-cheese stuffed olives. For a sweeter (but still refreshing) summer drink try a Mojito (rum, lime, club soda and mint - I think).

MBTI
    ISTx

How about Brandy?

First (and only) time I ever got completely blackout, wake-up-puking TRASHED was off of severely cheap Brandy. Never again. Never a god damn gain.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    How about Brandy?

First (and only) time I ever got completely blackout, wake-up-puking TRASHED was off of severely cheap Brandy. Never again. Never a god damn gain.
    My first time was with an unholy bourbon-like evil spirit called "Fighting Cock."

They don't call it the kickin' chicken for nothing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I'm a vodka collins girl. Lemony and refreshing.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

I like Irish whiskey or bourbon. The Irish I tend to drink straight with a few drops of water, the bourbon I'll often have with Coke unless it's a good brand, then I'll have it straight sometimes. If I'm feeling like a sweet-ish cocktail, I'll add a little splash of grenadine and a cherry to my bourbon and Coke.

I'll drink other liquors from time to time, but I absolutely never have gin or Scotch. They're simply unfit for human consumption. Blech!

As opposed to someone who posted earlier, I think whiskey is a natural choice for a beer drinker looking to explore liquor. Many of the ingredients and flavors are the same, and the classic boilermaker is a good example of how they work well together.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari