• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fat People

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Omnivore's Dilemma .

+1. It's not as scientific as I would like, but it is a very enjoyable read, and his conclusions are fairly intuitive - which doesn't necessarily make them correct, but at least they make sense.

I thought Food Inc was an interesting documentary as well, along the same lines and partially based on the book.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Why does ilikeitlikethat ask dumb questions? Is it intelligence phobia, not knowing what to put in his brain, or a cultural thing?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why does ilikeitlikethat ask dumb questions? Is it intelligence phobia, not knowing what to put in his brain, or a cultural thing?

Nobody can blame the Americans this time.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did I hurt somebody's feelings?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You´re a thinking type, you shouldn´t have feelings! :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Doubting an NTPs intelligence is about the worst insult you can give them, [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION]

You should know that by now :wink:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Doubting an NTPs intelligence is about the worst insult you can give them

I was doubting the pertinence of his questions, not the quickness of his mind :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
one thing that makes it hard for some people to lose weight, even if they dont eat too much and work out is that they eat after working out. this pretty much makes the work out useless and only makes you grow muscles, not lose fat. if i remember right, you shouldnt eat 4 hours after working out if you want to get most out of losing weight with exercising. there are two hormones in your body which one of regulates storing of energy and one makes you use the energy you got stored. when you eat, the one that makes you use the energy you are eating is triggered, but when you exercise, the one that uses stored energy is triggered(and continues being the dominant one for hours after exercise, thats why you keep losing weight, even after you stop moving, the actual moving doesent make you even lose that much weight).

also one thing that people dont realize is that starch is just 3 sugars binded together, so basically eating white bread is equal to eating candy, with the difference that starch brakes down to 3 sugar molecules faster than eating white sugar does, raising your blood sugar levels even faster than eating white sugar.

fat people often are fat because they are careless about eating and moving and how to do it correctly. or they are just plain dumb and crying cuz they are fat and going to mcdonalds to soothe their pain :doh: and not even realizing that eating junk food makes them unhappy, not only because it makes them fat and being fat makes them sad, but because they arent giving their brains the building blocks to make dopamine etc and thus feeling depressed.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You know, it's funny. There's this perception that overweight people are lazy and stupid, but from a lot of comments I've heard and things I've read I get the impression that a lot of in-shape people are too lazy to try to empathize with overweight people and too stupid to realize that there might be something deeper going on than just "eating too much".

I'm curvy, and technically overweight, though fortunately I'm proportionate enough not to get comments. I've always been big for my age (height and weight, I'm tall and muscular), have always felt criticism for that, and therefore have always struggled with food. In middle school I was a cheerleader and starved myself - I was even underweight then and still looked bigger than the other girls. In high school I was fat for a while, because I finally gave up starving myself and had a hard time escaping the binging pattern of eating that I had resorted to in middle school after weeks of eating nothing but that 70-calorie-per-can chicken wonton soup. I'm better at eating normally now, but still have my moments. Regardless, I'm just built larger than average. I always have been and always will be. Instead of trying to be "skinny" and pushing myself at the gym until I am sick like I once did, I've turned to trying to eat healthily, and swimming and practicing yoga for exercise, which I genuinely enjoy.

I am all for nutrition and exercise education and encouragement. Still, people need to realize that you can be "overweight" by technical standards and healthy at the same time, and that should be valued over people who are skinny and eat crap and exercise to the point of exhaustion. It sucks to have to come to peace with something that people perceive as you being lazy, or gross, or uneducated, or uninhibited, or afraid of exercise (?).

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to be overweight and had struggled losing weight not because of the lack of knowledge on how to lose weight, but because of the fight against the cravings. There are two things I had to be weary of when I started out on the atkins diet. The first was to be mindful of everything I was putting in my mouth and the second was to overcome cravings. I started the atkins weight loss program about 4 years ago and had kept at it until now with a few fluctuations phases where I'd slip out of it for a while. The cravings fall back every once in a while but the will power strengthens after the first few weeks of going cold turkey on it. It falls to becoming a habit. I've not suffered health risks from it so far and generally feel a good deal of health. I've got my balance between the nutritional foods and some of the more fatty types but nothing that seems to go overboard.
So in my time of combating fat I'd say the biggest problem I've experienced were cravings. specially ice cream.

W

WALMART

The past few months I have really stagnated in terms of physical activity, and my weight shows. I went from around 180 in May to my current 198. Usually I bicycle 10-20 miles a week, but I lent my friend my bike and just haven't gotten back from him. My diet hasn't changed, which consists of lots of red meat and rice/noodles. On top of not working (I typically tend to hold physically demanding jobs)..........

I need my bike back.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was gonna go to the gym tonight, couldn't find my gym card, got a call from Kirtsy, gotta meet her now... Well, in a bit... I DOUBT I'm going to make the gym tonight, to compensate, I'm stretchng and am going to run to Kirsty, when she calls.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Metabolism. It's all genetics.

I eat 3200+ calories a day, and am still medically underweight.

But in a famine (not impossible in this economy), I'd be the first to die.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm about as low-energy and lazy as you can get and I've always eaten whatever I wanted. I weighed 86 lbs except when I was pregnant, when I gained twenty pounds and had normal weight, healthy babies, until my early thirties. I've gained forty pounds in the last ten years and I'm now a normal, healthy weight for my height [(edit: ) 5'2"]. But I'm (edit: ) not* particularly fit and I have high cholesterol.

I know a lot of heavy people that work circles around me every day.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To much life causes me to gain weight, like I am doing right now. Exercise is no where near as important as other things in life. and the fact that I love to eat.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Thought I'd drop this little tidbit off.

When you gain weight, you gain fat cells and these cells increase in size. When you lose weight, these fat cells shrink, but the number of cells does not decrease. This means that it's much harder to lose and keep weight off than it is to never gain weight at all.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thought I'd drop this little tidbit off.

When you gain weight, you gain fat cells and these cells increase in size. When you lose weight, these fat cells shrink, but the number of cells does not decrease. This means that it's much harder to lose and keep weight off than it is to never gain weight at all.

Yup. Being fat permanently alters your body chemistry. On some levels, to become thin once you've been fat requires putting your body in a state of constant energy deprivation, since those fat cells want to be filled back up.

While it varies depending on the study, I've read that only 1 out of 50 to 500 people that try to lose a significant amount of weight (> 5-10 pounds) succeed. That means, as an overweight dieter, your chance of losing significant weight and keeping it off is anywhere from .2% - 2%. I've come to the conclusion that unless a person is willing to put forth the level of effort and sacrifice to put them in that top 2%, they are better off just accepting their body as it is.