User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmm, who makes it? Does it say cholecalciferol (D3) or maybe ergocalciferol (D2)?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Jae Rae, 50 years ago doctors gave you thyroid replacement hormone until you went hyper then backed you down to where you felt good. A very few good doctors use this method today, still, think of it as "optimal" vs. "normal".

Blood tests have a few problems, the primary one being that what is defined as 'normal' is skewed. In today's world "normal' contains sick people. Sensitivity isn't an issue, what is measured and what it is measured against, are.

Then you have doctors who test thyroid function with a TSH test - which isn't good for much other than first diagnosing auto immune thyroid disease. The 'normal' range for TSH runs anywhere from 0.2 - 5.5. That's because the group of 'normal' people contain 75 year old subclinical hypothyroid women. The range in progressive US labs has been changed to 0.2 - 2.7 (or there abouts, it has been narrowed a lot in the last few years). Bottom line from people who're being well treated, TSH is meaningless. I haven't had a TSH number for years (it was < 0.0001 last time it was tested).

As well, blood tests measure what's in your blood, not what's being used or what is useable. That's a big difference when it comes to normal vs optimal.

In your case, with the tiredness and the SAD, I would definitely look into vitamin D. It's been shown to be superior to light therapy for SAD and a very little known fact about vit D; it isn't a vitamin at all, it's a hormone precursor. It's also necessary for proper thyroid and progesterone hormone function.
    Thank you for the information. I ran into a friend who told me she'd had a normal test, but still felt tired. She went to a different doctor who checked other levels and she ended up on Armor (sp?). She feels a lot better.

Not to rant about HMOs, but I feel I get the bare minimum of care. Recently I went for a gyn. and I raised this issue with my nurse practitioner, but she said I was in range. My primary care doctor didn't flag my TSH result, just my cholesterol. The lesson is follow through, follow through, follow through.

I'm going to get some Vitamin D today. I live in a temperate area, not Canada, but it can't hurt.

Thanks again for the lead.

Jae Rae

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Hmm, who makes it? Does it say cholecalciferol (D3) or maybe ergocalciferol (D2)?

it doesn't say... it's made by Bayer Standard
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Thank you for the information. I ran into a friend who told me she'd had a normal test, but still felt tired. She went to a different doctor who checked other levels and she ended up on Armor (sp?). She feels a lot better.

Not to rant about HMOs, but I feel I get the bare minimum of care. Recently I went for a gyn. and I raised this issue with my nurse practitioner, but she said I was in range. My primary care doctor didn't flag my TSH result, just my cholesterol. The lesson is follow through, follow through, follow through.

I'm going to get some Vitamin D today. I live in a temperate area, not Canada, but it can't hurt.

Thanks again for the lead.

Jae Rae
    You're fortunate to live in California, there are a number of very good doctors in CA.

A prime example of how much better off a thyroid patient was 50 years ago. The first sign you might be hypothyroid? High cholesterol.

P.S. To find your latitude you can punch your city in at the USGS.

Really.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

well I just did a rough guesstimate of my caloric intake and it's about 1600 cals/day with my rough guesstimation of calories expelled in a day at 2800 that leaves 1200 excess calories a day doing nothing. Now of course there are days where I will consume more than 1600 calories and days when I don't exercise as hard b/c I am out and about doing other things.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTJ

That, if it is a real deficit, is far too much. The longer you diet, the more of a deficit you create, the more your metabolism will compensate and slow. Typically that slow down is temporary, the body adjusts, figures there really isn't a famine on the way, and upregulates again. However, this isn't always the case for hypothyroids, and it certainly takes a lot longer to get back to normal maintenance (if you ever do).

Worse still, 'starvation' sends messages to the brain, which lowers TSH, to slow metabolism, which results in FT4 rising and FT3 lowering (because it doesn't get converted from T4 to T3). You go see a doctor because you're tired and you can't lose weight and he tests your TSH and maybe looks at your FT4 / T4 and 'poof' - you're normal.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I am just curious if anyone around here know and thing about underactive thyroids? I ask b/c for some reason I have it in my mind that I may have a thyroid issue. My doctor had questioned it a few years ago but dismissed it at that time as being nothing, I didn't bring it up at all she did. That had to have been 4yrs ago now.

My biggest stumbling block has been because i have been working so hard to lose weight, harder than most people do and have lost only a fraction of the weight that many others do... so it just makes me wonder that is all. I have done limited research online and have found some more things about me that seem to fit, but realize that only a DR can and should diagnose such a thing

so I was checking to see what people know
    I don't know much first hand, but this article talks about it in-depth... have a look.

Losing Weight with Hypothyroidism: How an Underactive Thyroid Can Affect Weight Loss

EDIT: Nevermind, it sounds like other people responded already... I really shouldn't have just responded to the first post, huh? Sorry, I tend to do that sometimes.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's an informative article, Athenian.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP

My Mom has hypothyroidism - however her first tests came out within normal ranges. After her doctor got her a second round of more in-depth tests, they found it. She chose not to take any more medications to control it, mainly because she is taking so many other medications, she doesn't want to take more (she's schizophrenic and takes a LOT of meds). I think she is just trying to control her intake.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INTJ

Sandy, do you think is someone were able to explain to her that thyroid hormones aren't medications it might help?

Even synthetic thyroid brands / formulations (synthroid, eltroxin, levothyroid, etc) are bioidentical to what the body makes. You're not taking a medication, you're taking what your body can't make (and needs).

Really.