• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dreamer: Are you a dreamer, realist, stoic, pragmatist, optimist or pessimist

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I keep thinking this is a thread addressed to [MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION]...

And I dunno whether im an optimist realist or pessimist. Depends really- feel like I can be a bit of all three at different times

I think I am a little of each, but mostly a dreamer deep down. I have this need to make at least some of my dreams come true in order to feel fulfilled in life, otherwise I'd be miserable.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am both a light-hearted dreamer and a very cold pragmatist. Depends. The child joyously blowing bubbles and the foul knave of spades.

Jung has a saying; ''I must also have a dark side if I am to be whole.''

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Dreaming Pragmatist wrote, "Dreams, however give Hope. Purpose. Potential. Without dreams, what do we have?"

Exactly point on.

Taibreah wrote, "I'm a dreamer and not very optimistic about my dreams, because they're mostly unrealistic and farfetched. and I wish I were more realistic about things."

It would be nice to have a balance. That is why I said I am a pragmatic dreamer. I am foremost personality wise a dreamer, visionary, idealist and liberal. I know however that there is a status quo and for things to get done there needs to be balance, cooperation and compromise.

RareBird wrote, "I'm a discouraged dreamer, which I guess makes me a bit pessimistic."

I am fatalistic about things changing. People resist changes and want others to change or conform but not to change oneself or make personal sacrifice for the betterment of the whole.

OneLovelyAdventure wrote, "Can I be an idealistic optimist with a little bit of pragmatism?"

That is also my own description.

Zeego wrote, "stoicism leads to apathy"

In this Zeego I beg difference of opinion. Stoicism is not passim nor is it not changing circumstances. It merely is pragmatic of doing what one can do. If one can't do what they want then not happily accept it but rather not over dwell on the unchangeable. So it's quite realistic.

Gypsy-Flux wrote
15% optimist
10% dreamer
8% pragmatist
7% stoic
2% pessimist

Gypsy this does not add to 100% though it's interesting window into your own personality.

MDP2525 wrote, "Being a realist that puts optimism into action."

Optimistic!

Stargaze wrote, "I ...need to make...dreams come true in order to feel fulfilled in life, otherwise I'd be miserable."

Yes I agree. The problem with dreams and goals in life is that sometimes life blindsides us. Then we have to reprioritize, refocus and shift direction. The adage of life being the journey more so than destination I find to be true.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dreaming Pragmatist wrote, "Dreams, however give Hope. Purpose. Potential. Without dreams, what do we have?"
I would say dreams provide focus, goals, even motivation. Hope requires some expectation or reassurance that we can actually reach them. Otherwise they are just fuel for disappointment and disillusionment.

You have seen me quote Raistlin from Dragonlance before: "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it . . . we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open!”

Zeego wrote, "stoicism leads to apathy"

In this Zeego I beg difference of opinion. Stoicism is not passim nor is it not changing circumstances. It merely is pragmatic of doing what one can do. If one can't do what they want then not happily accept it but rather not over dwell on the unchangeable. So it's quite realistic.
Stoicism is all about detachment - keeping enough distance on your choices and circumstances that you can see and accept the reality of the situation, and take the course of action most likely to lead to your goals without distraction.

MDP2525 wrote, "Being a realist that puts optimism into action."
I like this.

treetophideaway

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am predominantly a dreamer and an optimist. I can be pragmatic. I can also be stoic since I don't like to share bad feelings or experiences with others. I don't see myself as a realist or pessimist.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a dreamer and not very optimistic about my dreams, because they're mostly unrealistic and farfetched. But, what I wouldn't give to actually have these dreams become reality. My dreams are just so big and inspired to become reality.

I wish I were more realistic about things, but then again, isn't my realizing that my dreams aren't realistic somehow being realistic about it? Haha, okay I'm sorry if that sounded very confusing. I confused myself just typing that out.

It would be nice to have a balance. That is why I said I am a pragmatic dreamer. I am foremost personality wise a dreamer, visionary, idealist and liberal. I know however that there is a status quo and for things to get done there needs to be balance, cooperation and compromise.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a discouraged dreamer, which I guess makes me a bit pessimistic.
I've worn all the hats though.

I am fatalistic about things changing. People resist changes and want others to change or conform but not to change oneself or make personal sacrifice for the betterment of the whole.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Anti-stoic dreamer. The way I see it, stoicism leads to apathy, and apathy leads to loss of motivation and purpose in life.

Coriolis wrote, "Stoicism is all about detachment - keeping enough distance on your choices and circumstances that you can see and accept the reality of the situation, and take the course of action most likely to lead to your goals without distraction."

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am a little of each, but mostly a dreamer deep down. I have this need to make at least some of my dreams come true in order to feel fulfilled in life, otherwise I'd be miserable.

Yes I agree. The problem with dreams and goals in life is that sometimes life blindsides us. Then we have to reprioritize, refocus and shift direction. The adage of life being the journey more so than destination I find to be true.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That's fair reasoning. I'd argue, however, that what is and is not changeable depends solely on one's perspective, and that many goals can only be (and have been) achieved by pushing the boundaries of what one considers "unchangeable." It does not make sense to sacrifice one's goals because of perceived limitiations.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Idk if I'm a pragmatist, or a realist, but I am definitely NOT a dreamer or a stoic.

Mikosan77

MBTI Type
ENFP
I try to stay on the side of optimism, but I do have bouts of depression and anxiety which leads me to pessimistic thoughts at times. At the end of the day no matter how bad the situation is I try my damndest to not give up hope, because I already know to live in hopelessness has is much scarier.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"I'm a mixture. On one hand I have an ideal view of human kinds potential. On the other I see mankind repeating their mistakes. I see progress as ongoing but marred by obstacles of human ignorance, resistance to change and being reactive in nature not proactive. I'm pessimistic about my own life due to my problem of resistant depression. I am a dreamer but don't think I can actualize them. If I have to honestly say do I have more positive or negative things go on in on my life, I'd have to say negative."

Novella

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4W5
"I'm a mixture. On one hand I have an ideal view of human kinds potential. On the other I see mankind repeating their mistakes. I see progress as ongoing but marred by obstacles of human ignorance, resistance to change and being reactive in nature not proactive. I'm pessimistic about my own life due to my problem of resistant depression. I am a dreamer but don't think I can actualize them. If I have to honestly say do I have more positive or negative things go on in on my life, I'd have to say negative."

I echo that sentiment. In the same job for ten years where the same mistakes are made by different people and too few lessons are learnt by those reasons you have listed. Couldn't have expressed this better.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My excuse for not saying which I am is that do not know.

(I'm scared too)