User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default INFJ/INTJ - Developing Extraverted Sensing, Happiness and Living in the Moment

It's long but I found this to be kind of interesting. You don't see a lot out there on how to develop inferior functions.

Thoughts on what she is saying??

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

After posting this, I took it down, thinking about capturing a few summary bullet points on this due to length but decided to get it re-started (which caused it to get buried in the queue of recently started threads). So, I'm bumping this.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well I haven't watched the entire video yet, but I've watched enough to like the idea that she talks about needing life experience (viz. failures and screw ups) in order to develop one's inferior function. I think life experience has a lot to do with developing one's lesser functions.

Boy that is a long video.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My INTJ friend did this. I think she had/did a lot of things that were negative(?) Se. Along the way, it looks like she decided to embrace these experiences in a more positive way. I know she became more physically active, deliberately challenging herself to do things she would not have normally done. Loosen up on planning and trust in-the-moment improvising more. It's really awe-inspiring.

My INFJ daughter will push herself like this, too. She'll be scared to be in situations where she has to depend on her body or senses (her words). It's her normal mode to shut out sensory input. But then I'll see her challenge herself to something scary. Like walk across a high bridge or steep hiking trail. Be in a huge, really noisy festival crowd. Test herself. She said it's like being blindfolded. She feels much better after she does this. I notice that both of them will have a sense of pride and accomplishment. Joy. And they don't necessarily get it from succeeding at it but from the fact that they pushed themselves and gave everything they had to even try it.

What did you think of it, @highlander?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Well I haven't watched the entire video yet, but I've watched enough to like the idea that she talks about needing life experience (viz. failures and screw ups) in order to develop one's inferior function. I think life experience has a lot to do with developing one's lesser functions.

Boy that is a long video.
    OK, I will provide the Readers Digest version of the video.

This is a young mother, I assume with several small children, who was overwhelmed with the stress of young parenthood and life’s responsibilities at that stage of life. She additionally faced some specific tough circumstances at the time. She was beat up, exhausted and humbled for long enough that it pushed her over a tipping point towards internal peace – which involved developing her extraverted sensing.

She says that Ni doms have a need to incessantly plan and control the future. They need to count on how the future is going to turn out. Extraverted sensing involves being in the moment, really experiencing what is going on around you vs. reacting to your interpretation of reality. To develop this side of ourselves, we need to let go of this need to control the future, have faith that things will work out and live in the present moment.

To do this, you have to allow yourself to be happy. That requires us to be vulnerable, to accept and give love, to be compassionate towards ourselves, to let go of judgment of others and to understand what makes us happy (so that we can do those things). She talked quite a bit about mindfulness.

One interesting side-note was she drew a connection between Se and Ennagram Sx.

I will post later with some thoughts about it.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^ Thanks for the abbreviated version.

Meditation is extremely important for this type of thing, and I try to do it more.

I also find that for myself there are two Se experiences that naturally help me. The first is to spend time alone in nature taking in all my senses at once and get a sense of coherency and meaning that surrounds me. The second is a strong sense of my own physicality which could include sexuality or for me training in dance. I never had a chance to train seriously as a dancer, but I can feel intuitively that I have always needed that to be a component of my life because it isn't just a mental exercise to be in the moment, but something that can be done to the point of physical and mental exhaustion. It is a kind of activity that can forcefully place someone in the moment and I think I need something like that to switch gears. Meditation is great as an ideal, but harder to achieve on demand that the physicality based activities.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    To do this, you have to allow yourself to be happy. That requires us to be vulnerable, to accept and give love, to be compassionate towards ourselves, to let go of judgment of others and to understand what makes us happy (so that we can do those things). She talked quite a bit about mindfulness.
    I have read this sort of advice many times before and it is all well and good in theory, but how does one actually implement it???
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I agree that you dont see a lot on developing the inferior or alt functions at all, I'm interested in developing feeling and perception, I'm also interesting in what they mean from a variety of sources MBTI and other, to be honest Jung had a different view to a lot of typologists and amatuer typologists since, no one could assume that sensing or feeling for instance were inferior or less desirable than thininking or intuiting if they'd read him properly (he really rated sensing very highly).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    She says that Ni doms have a need to incessantly plan and control the future. They need to count on how the future is going to turn out. Extraverted sensing involves being in the moment, really experiencing what is going on around you vs. reacting to your interpretation of reality. To develop this side of ourselves, we need to let go of this need to control the future, have faith that things will work out and live in the present moment.

If this is the case, and god knows I will certainly take your word for it because I couldn't watch more than 60 seconds, no offense INFJs, I know I am inclined to that kind of airhead verbosity too, but...

She's not talking about extraverted sensing.

What she, by this report, describes is a flavour of extroverted judgment. In her case, extraverted feeling. In all of our cases, it is extroverted judgement as constructive in the physical moment.

If we take the view that perception is the seed bed of judgment, then she's saying, basically, practice some more auxiliary function, but observe that this auxiliary functioning gets better if you know and adjust for the realm you are practicing upon. In the NJ case that realm is the immediate physical one.

Which is to say, loosen up (and improve) your judgment by allowing it to be active.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Ginkgo

I remember an INFJ love interest of mine screaming at me about "living in the moment".

Needless to say, I thought she was batshit insane; being that engaged hardly ever happens to me without deliberate meditation, and only rarely does it somewhat take the form of some vague conceptualization. Ie. We are always literally living in the present, regardless of whatever it is we think about in terms of past or future tense.