User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Talking telling the truth

I've been quite the liar for most of my life... it was the easy way not to let people down and to still get what I wanted out of any given situation. The more I practiced it the easier it was to the point where I could tell a lie without batting an eye. Lying enabled me to get what I thought I needed and covered for me so that I could be who or what I wanted to be. If I'd been a superhero, lying would have been my superpower

a while back I decided to quit and just tell the truth, no matter how bad of an idea my brain was telling me that it was. I have to set things right somehow, so why not start by being honest?

being honest with myself was probably the most painful part... there's certain things that nobody really wants to realize about themselves, though being honest with others was a challenge as well because my brain was just PROGRAMMED to lie... that was my impulse response

I've been working on this for over a year... as I started just telling the truth I've lost the ability to lie well at all. On the bright side, I don't have to dedicate NEARLY as much mental space to keeping straight what I told who and how to keep the facade going smoothly... kind of a feeling of relief in a way, though I occasionally offend people by accident and I don't really feel like I have the same control over my life that I once did

has anyone else tried to just tell the truth no matter what? how has it worked out?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    has anyone else tried to just tell the truth no matter what? how has it worked out?
    I try never to lie, by which I mean say something that I know to be untrue. I don't find this too difficult; in fact, I find it hard to say something false. On the other hand, I am very good at not answering, giving partial answers, or steering the conversation away from the question so it just gets forgotten. I won't lie, but I freely withhold the truth if it serves my purposes.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I try never to lie, by which I mean say something that I know to be untrue. I don't find this too difficult; in fact, I find it hard to say something false. On the other hand, I am very good at not answering, giving partial answers, or steering the conversation away from the question so it just gets forgotten. I won't lie, but I freely withhold the truth if it serves my purposes.
    +1
    I do all those things too. Lying is my last choice, but I usually don't need to. I don't like lying but I can dance circles around the bush.
    "It's never enough." The Cure

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

With acquaintances I have no problem withholding personal information even if it requires skewing the facts a little. This is especially true if I'm not feeling well. If I don't think the person comprehends migraines, then I just say I'm sick. I think it is not their prerogative to know the "truth" especially if it is personal or I know they won't comprehend it. In that way the "truth" ends up being false because it is perceived in a mixed up way. Sometimes when people ask pointed questions I can't think fast enough not to answer, but I end up feeling a bit irked that they got the info out of me even though i didn't really want to share it. This is especially true if they ask financial questions. I don't think people in general are entitled to all information.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Quote Originally Posted by NotOfTwo View Post
    +1
    I do all those things too. Lying is my last choice, but I usually don't need to. I don't like lying but I can dance circles around the bush.
    +2

I'm generally able to keep a straight face, but not when it comes to flat-out lying about something.

NPcomplete

Pretty much this.

Besides there are almost always loopholes that one can use.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I am a pathological truth-teller.
    It doesn't always work out so well.
    But I hate liars with a passion, and I never want to become something I hate.

Plus there is this compulsion to see what happens when everything is laid bare and exposed down to the bone, which is just part of the INTP mindset, I think. Less morality than curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned

I posted a similar thread some time ago and was told I had no integrity.

I don't really lie anymore...I'm just blunt with what I have to say.

"What did you buy at the store?"
    "I don't want to tell you."

*blank stare*

Because I don't...it's why I used to lie in those situations. It was easier to just lie.

Also, is it a lie if you know someone will draw a conclusion that isn't true...but you don't want to go into the details of the situation?

ThatGirl

I don't lie. This habit is so bad that if my brain accidentally mixes up a fact as I tell it, the incident haunts me for quite some time. Yet at the same time it is awkward to go back and fix the things I have said.

For instance, a while back I was speaking to someone about books we have read. I stated that I had read Anna Karenina and recommended it. The conversation had been moving pretty quickly so I didn't have the chance to go back and state that I had only read a portion of the book, then watched the movie.

For three days after the incident I tried to think of a way to re-initiate the conversation and make the correction before I finally realized, most people probably don't care about something like that, and let the idea go.

So you can see not only am I a terrible liar, but a lie also haunts me. I feel like if I tell the truth, nothing can ever come back to bite me when I am least expecting it (I already told you!). I also hate when people lie to me, because I end up having to deal with situations that don't actually exist. I think the world would be a fantastic place if people learned not only to tell the truth, but become more accepting of different people's perception as well.

Because that isn't the case, I just keep most of my thoughts to myself, and seek out people with whom I can be honest with.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

This.