User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INFP

I totally agree based on experience.

Overindulgence in general is linked to depression.

MBTI
    ENTP

'Linked' is a very vague word.

Not all internet addicts have issues with depression, but I do believe that most people who have issues with depression are internet addicts, because of the social anxiety that's 'linked' to depression.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

It feeds the beast.
    I think those of the internet-obsessed have moments where they assess the reality of their lives after being immersed in the online universe, then deem the assessment as unsatisfactory. It's not a motivating assessment, especially to anyone pre-disposed to depression. It can be a safe zone, and it can also be a vicious circle. Does it cause depression? Maybe in certain instances where a person requires the outside world, but is simply choosing to neglect it. Does it further deepen depression? I'd say damn straight it does. It gives the illusion of functioning, but it can be better than certain alternatives regarding mental state.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Imho, it's quite clearly the other way round - depressive people are more likely to spend much time on the internet, not that internet makes one depressive.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    What's considered excessive internet use today will be normal internet use in a few years...
    http://www.longbets.org/

Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    I see this as a chicken/egg issue.
    Yes. Generally these types of links usually have causation going both ways, sometimes to a confusing, chaos theory degree.

It's pretty obvious how causation could go either way. Depressed people being too unmotivated or lacking the self-esteem to do much beyond surf the internet. Just as other forms of escapism can serve as short-term release. Then there's people who use the internet to such a degree that it interferes with metal and physical functioning conductive to happiness. The same thing that happens with excessive eating, sleeping, watching TV, work, exercise etc.

There are plenty of other possibilities that shouldn't be ignored. Even unusual ones, like screens shining light directly into eyes causing hormonal imbalances or something.

Anyway, studies like this have to be done. Often the supposed link turns out to be a myth, but when it's established (which it isn't), more specific studies can try to find out exactly what's going on.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

How about this?

http://www.inquisitr.com/95216/moder...o-early-death/

"Moderate computer use or TV time linked to early death"

"…anyone who devotes more than four hours daily on screen-based entertainment such as TV, video games or surfing the web, ups their risk of heart attack and stroke by 113 percent and the risk of death by any cause by nearly 50 percent compared to those who spend less than two hours daily in screen play — and this is regardless of whether or not they also work out."

It's a lot easier to tell if someone's dead.

thinking of you

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So it's the sitting that is deadly.

You know what else helps you die young? Going out and shooting up heroin or drinking and driving instead of staying home on the Internet or watching tv or playing video games.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Good points, Glenn Beck.

I'd definitely be hitting up a couch or park bench just to stare at nothing for at least half the time spent at this computer.

There weren't sheep to kick in the ass after in america 50 years ago, so I wonder if heavy smoking and driving cars (while seated) powered by leaded fuel helped them reach their mid-60s, or what's most likely a younger average deathrate than what we have now.

thinking of you