User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ISFP

Default J/P difference, long-range/short-range thinking?

Would the J/P difference have any correlation with a tendency toward short-range or long-range thinking? (If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it in a search.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Kind of, but there's probably a better way to phrase it. It's more that Js favor sequential structure and order in the external world, which often translates into diligent planning and difficulty adapting to external changes quickly without time to reassess and make new plans.

Ps favor holistic, internalized structure and consistency, but will allow comparatively more flexibility in the way they deal with the outer world. This often translates into less propensity for planning, instead relying on ability to adapt to outward changes as they occur.

So, in a way you have a point, because Ps are more likely to just figure things out as they come up, and Js are more likely to have already planned for them, but the J's plans are not always long-range. They might be intended for a duration as short as a few hours--"How am I going to plan my day today?"

I would suggest that short range vs. long range thinking is more related to S vs. N.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Thanks, Sim. I'm not a J.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Kind of, but there's probably a better way to phrase it. It's more that Js favor sequential structure and order in the external world, which often translates into diligent planning and difficulty adapting to external changes quickly without time to reassess and make new plans.

Ps favor holistic, internalized structure and consistency, but will allow comparatively more flexibility in the way they deal with the outer world. This often translates into less propensity for planning, instead relying on ability to adapt to outward changes as they occur.

So, in a way you have a point, because Ps are more likely to just figure things out as they come up, and Js are more likely to have already planned for them, but the J's plans are not always long-range. They might be intended for a duration as short as a few hours--"How am I going to plan my day today?"

I would suggest that short range vs. long range thinking is more related to S vs. N.
    HAH MBTI FAIL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    HAH MBTI FAIL!!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Thanks, Sim. I'm not a J.
    The descriptions are relative. When I say "Js are not as good at adapting without time to reassess and plan", I just mean that relative to most Ps. It doesn't mean no Js have ever learned to do that.

Plus, since you're an old fart, you probably have better command of the tertiary, which, for you is extroverted perception...which probably translates into more quick adaptability.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    HAH MBTI FAIL!!!
    Oh, I must have forgotten to mention the common ENTJ delusion that they're the best at everything and have no weak points.

Ginkgo

Wrong time? Damn...

MBTI
    ISFP

Thank you, Sim. I was actually wondering about things like: seeing benefits in living sustainably vs. going for convenience. Or issues such as nuclear waste storage. Could being more J-ish influence or enhance a tendency to think in short-term ways, as in, "How am I going to plan my day today? (That's way more important to me than sustainability.)" Or could being more P-ish result in "It'll all work out"?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Thank you, Sim. I was actually wondering about things like: seeing benefits in living sustainably vs. going for convenience. Or issues such as nuclear waste storage. Could being more J-ish influence or enhance a tendency to think in short-term ways, as in, "How am I going to plan my day today? (That's way more important to me than sustainability.)" Or could being more P-ish result in "It'll all work out"?
    Well, as a very general observation, Js tend to focus more than Ps on setting up sustainable sources of reliable income because knowing that these are in place makes planning for the future easier.

Being a J does not enhance a tendency to think in the short term; if anything, it would be the opposite. NJs, especially, tend to be the most proficient long-term planners. NPs may think a lot about grand visions for glorious futures but are typically not as good at actually setting up and implementing step by step processes to make them into reality.

Ps are surely more likely to avoid deliberate plans for producing long-term sustainability based on the idea that, "Well, everything will work out because I'll just figure out what to do when the time comes."

Obviously none of this applies in 100% of cases, but those are the general tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The descriptions are relative. When I say "Js are not as good at adapting without time to reassess and plan", I just mean that relative to most Ps. It doesn't mean no Js have ever learned to do that.

Plus, since you're an old fart, you probably have better command of the tertiary, which, for you is extroverted perception...which probably translates into more quick adaptability.
    You're the one who wrote the nutty post months ago saying you don't use Se.
    You can't see, smell, hear or fart.