User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Disgusted

  1. #1
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default Disgusted

    Apparently my tastes have changed this year, and I'm not so sure I'm happy about it. I can hardly watch movies or TV anymore without getting disgusted by the way the characters act or by the circus-mirror reality that gets portrayed..

    Case in point: a few shows I have watched through recently:

    1. Star Trek Voyager: As it went on it became more and more Pollyanna, but that's not necessarily anything to do with what I'm writing about here. The problem was with 7 of 9, and her utterly outrageous costume. Frankly it is insulting to the show and to me, the viewer, to imagine that anyone would see that kind of outfit as appropriate. It screams cheap use of tits and ass to gain attention. I lost some respect for the show because of this. Don't get me wrong - Jeri Ryan is insanely beautiful, but good god, if I wanted to get a hard-on I'd watch some porn.

    2. Battlestar Galactica: The first season was great - lots of heroism, action, and adventure. In the middle of the second season, things started getting ugly as the war with the Cylons quieted down and we got a chance to see how the characters act when there is no alien threat to stand up to. This is when I began to get disgusted. All you see is characters acting like manipulative rats, making impulsive and immature decisions and then sulking about them like little emo kids, banging each other, or drinking themselves to oblivion as if that's what you do when things get tough. I found the behavior of Laura Roslin and Kara Thrace to be absolutely repulsive. Roslin, acting as president, commanded that a couple's baby be aborted against their wishes because she "had a bad feeling about it." Thrace simply went around banging everyone, to the extent that she called out the wrong name in bed. Classy shit. Oh, and lots and lots of tears.

    3. Arrested Development: Finally finished the fourth season, and it wasn't until the last few episodes when things began to get really funny... but also, really disturbing. The characters on that show always did do shitty, spineless things, but this just got to be too much, and too ridiculous. Specifically I am talking about the new and enhanced sex lives of Anne, Maeby, and George Michael. Gross. Just gross. And bizarre. So I am to believe that the spineless little rat beta-male George Michael beds a woman like Isla Fisher? I mean, I know this is TV, but that's just too much to handle.

    4. The Walking Dead: Really nothing to complain about here.

    5. Breaking Bad: Can't wait for upcoming season. Ironically, I don't find Walt's character to be particularly offensive. What I really can't deal with is immature, melodramatic, spineless characters. I realize they are supposed to be that way, but I just don't like watching it (Jesse was annoyingly emo for a while a few seasons ago).

  2. #2
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    4. The Walking Dead: Really nothing to complain about here.
    LOL at the above.

    So you don't mind characters who do horrible things as long as they don't dress revealingly, have promiscuous sex, or cry?

  3. #3
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So you don't mind characters who do horrible things as long as they don't dress revealingly, have promiscuous sex, or cry?
    Welcome to America

  4. #4
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    LOL at the above.

    So you don't mind characters who do horrible things as long as they don't dress revealingly, have promiscuous sex, or cry?
    I'll ignore the defensive tone and respond that I disagree with your assessment. The main characters of the Walking Dead are all respectable people. I don't think Rick has ever made an immoral decision to speak of, and yes, he does cry about the loss of his wife, but that is a completely legitimate reason to cry.

    What, exactly, are you referring to?

  5. #5
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Crap things usually happen to tv shows. I haven't really found one where the characters are at least consistently in character, so I usually end up not bothering.

    What I find disgusting about tv shows is that a lot of the time I feel manipulated. The characters get 'manhandled' to fit the plot, provide the necessary drama point, etc., and that's when I feel really cheated, like how the writers have no respect for their characters and think the audience is too stupid to notice or something.

    I tend to have slightly more tolerance for BBC series, for some reason... because they're like, government, you know, and if you're not happy you can write in to complain that you don't like what they are doing with your tax money
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  6. #6
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    I take that back. Shane and Andrea were a bit much at times. Not terrible, though.

  7. #7
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I'll ignore the defensive tone and respond that I disagree with your assessment. The main characters of the Walking Dead are all respectable people. I don't think Rick has ever made an immoral decision to speak of, and yes, he does cry about the loss of his wife, but that is a completely legitimate reason to cry.

    What, exactly, are you referring to?
    First: not everyone on TWD is respectable. Next: do you think Walt's decisions are morally sound? If so you're missing the point of BB, IMO.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    First: not everyone on TWD is respectable. Next: do you think Walt's decisions are morally sound? If so you're missing the point of BB, IMO.
    Not everyone has to be respectable. I mean yeah, there do have to be some bad guys. It's different when every single character is a piece of shit. Really kinda spoils things.

    As for Breaking Bad, that's complicated. What I like about Walt is that he has huge balls (no homo).

  9. #9
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I tend to have slightly more tolerance for BBC series, for some reason... because they're like, government, you know, and if you're not happy you can write in to complain that you don't like what they are doing with your tax money
    Keeping Up Appearances is a funny show, even though there is only 1 episode, if you catch my drift. That's all of my BBC experience.

  10. #10
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    As for Breaking Bad, it's hard not to have a sense of mercy for a cancer patient going through a triple dose of midlife crisis.

    I haven't been watching much aside from The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

    I've not read the comics, but it seems like the cards could be dealt both ways for The Walking Dead at this point, now that a huge chunk of significant characters have been cropped. We're left with many of the most likable, but without some jackasses to compare them to, they're not worth watching. The most obvious direction they could take with this is to throw the characters into more high-pressure, life or death situations with ZOMBIES. But I don't expect that to happen because they couldn't have taken a more contrary direction through last couple of seasons.

    GoT - an entertaining clusterfuck. It's difficult for me not to feel disgusted by some of the most gratuitous suffering I've seen on TV. What we see is unfair IMO, but I guess the unknown variables that play into the overall order of the plot keep viewers very comfortably glued to their screens.

Similar Threads

  1. The Disgustingly Cute and Totally Gratuitous Thread
    By CzeCze in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-28-2015, 04:01 PM
  2. [Enne] Non SO 4w3s and 3w4s and being perpetually disgusted?
    By Elfboy in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 07:21 AM
  3. Disgusting bug question
    By LadyJaye in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 05:32 PM
  4. NTs: Fear, disgust, and frustration?
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
  5. I've never seen a more disgusting show.
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO