Apparently my tastes have changed this year, and I'm not so sure I'm happy about it. I can hardly watch movies or TV anymore without getting disgusted by the way the characters act or by the circus-mirror reality that gets portrayed..
Case in point: a few shows I have watched through recently:
1. Star Trek Voyager: As it went on it became more and more Pollyanna, but that's not necessarily anything to do with what I'm writing about here. The problem was with 7 of 9, and her utterly outrageous costume. Frankly it is insulting to the show and to me, the viewer, to imagine that anyone would see that kind of outfit as appropriate. It screams cheap use of tits and ass to gain attention. I lost some respect for the show because of this. Don't get me wrong - Jeri Ryan is insanely beautiful, but good god, if I wanted to get a hard-on I'd watch some porn.
2. Battlestar Galactica: The first season was great - lots of heroism, action, and adventure. In the middle of the second season, things started getting ugly as the war with the Cylons quieted down and we got a chance to see how the characters act when there is no alien threat to stand up to. This is when I began to get disgusted. All you see is characters acting like manipulative rats, making impulsive and immature decisions and then sulking about them like little emo kids, banging each other, or drinking themselves to oblivion as if that's what you do when things get tough. I found the behavior of Laura Roslin and Kara Thrace to be absolutely repulsive. Roslin, acting as president, commanded that a couple's baby be aborted against their wishes because she "had a bad feeling about it." Thrace simply went around banging everyone, to the extent that she called out the wrong name in bed. Classy shit. Oh, and lots and lots of tears.
3. Arrested Development: Finally finished the fourth season, and it wasn't until the last few episodes when things began to get really funny... but also, really disturbing. The characters on that show always did do shitty, spineless things, but this just got to be too much, and too ridiculous. Specifically I am talking about the new and enhanced sex lives of Anne, Maeby, and George Michael. Gross. Just gross. And bizarre. So I am to believe that the spineless little rat beta-male George Michael beds a woman like Isla Fisher? I mean, I know this is TV, but that's just too much to handle.
4. The Walking Dead: Really nothing to complain about here.
5. Breaking Bad: Can't wait for upcoming season. Ironically, I don't find Walt's character to be particularly offensive. What I really can't deal with is immature, melodramatic, spineless characters. I realize they are supposed to be that way, but I just don't like watching it (Jesse was annoyingly emo for a while a few seasons ago).