First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah. They are very blatant and break any emotional flow currently in place, and don't contribute anything to the emotional arcs of the scenes.
    Example?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Example?
    Example? There is no "one" example, I think it's literally every scene -- it's his idiom. Star Wars did it too, but the writing was better and he got the tone right, so it wasn't as big a deal.

There's a reason very few directors use "powerpoint-esque" screen shifts. They're clumsy and force the audience out of the picture, reminding them that none of it is real.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Yeah. They are very blatant and break any emotional flow currently in place, and don't contribute anything to the emotional arcs of the scenes.
    Hold on, there's two issues here. Do you know why Lucas uses them specifically for the Star Wars movies?

If so, is your objection then in how he uses the wipe cuts? Or is it you don't know why he's using them in the first place?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Hold on, there's two issues here. Do you know why Lucas uses them specifically for the Star Wars movies?

If so, is your objection then in how he uses the wipe cuts? Or is it you don't know why he's using them in the first place?
    I think he was emulating Saturday matinee movies with Star Wars.

Unfortunately, in the more recent trilogy, he wanted to play with more emotional depth (especially with Anakin) but ends up derailing it by using directing techniques that aren't suited for emotional depth and connection with the audience. You can't do both.

Also, as I said, it's just sloppy editing. It's typical for scenes just to stop "dead" and use the wipe-screen to move to the next scene, or for Lucas just to direct his cast to turn and walk off the side of the screen and wipe as they go. This is the kind of movie direction a middle-school kid would use to film with his parents' camcorder. There's no finesse or craft involved. This is the "writing" angle that sucks.

I think you see some of the same choppiness in Matrix 3, which is one reason why that movie got panned more than the other two. They didn't do "wipes" per se, but it was very as blocked out by page endings in comic books, so the scenes are predictable, evenly timed, and just stacked next to each other like building blocks would be. The organic feel was lost.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I don't think the screen wipe per se inhibits emotional connections to the film, other directors like Kurosawa used it and didn't have that problem (nor did Kershner, Empire's director, and the editor of Empire who's name I don't remember). I personally find it one of the more charming affectations of the Star Wars movies, it's what makes them Star Wars.

Of course, one can say Lucas is clumsy in using them, but I don't think it's the editing technique itself.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Example? There is no "one" example, I think it's literally every scene -- it's his idiom. Star Wars did it too, but the writing was better and he got the tone right, so it wasn't as big a deal.

There's a reason very few directors use "powerpoint-esque" screen shifts. They're clumsy and force the audience out of the picture, reminding them that none of it is real.
    I've seen you make this same point about Lucas in the past and I still don't know what it means. In Star Wars the screen wipes were done elegantly. But in Revenge, when Amidala fell off the flyer into the sand, the whole scene looked very clumsy. That's the kind of thing that's noticeable to us non-experts, not screen wipes. As far as I know, they are just things to clean off a monitor and not very relevant to movie-making. That's why I need an example, or maybe an explanation, because you've lost me here.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don't think the screen wipe per se inhibits emotional connections to the film, other directors like Kurosawa used it and didn't have that problem (nor did Kershner, Empire's director, and the editor of Empire who's name I don't remember). I personally find it one of the more charming affectations of the Star Wars movies, it's what makes them Star Wars.

Of course, one can say Lucas is clumsy in using them, but I don't think it's the editing technique itself.
    Yes, and after all the thousands of reviews I've read in my life, nobody else has complained about this.

I agree. As Jennifer said, he was emulating Saturday matinee serials, which were the inspiration for Star Wars (and later Indiana Jones). These serials didn't really have emotional flow...they were simple good guy/bad guy capers. I think the technique works in the context of the original Episode IV, but not so much in the others because the tone of those movies wasn't "Saturday matinee". You can see that both this and his wooden direction of actors are a specific technique he is employing because his direction of American Graffiti is completely different.

Of course, just because I'm defending him here doesn't mean I don't think he's a total hack that got lucky once. :p
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm just posting here to say that I've never seen any of the Star Wars film franchise, and have taken an oath never to do so.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'm just posting here to say that I've never seen any of the Star Wars film franchise, and have taken an oath never to do so.
    You're on my list.