Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I thought this film good, but not great. There were a handful of moments I really liked. Unfortunately, the movie also had a tendency to sporadically disappoint, introduce shoddy (or really cliche) character and plot moments (example: the main character complaining about her infertility came out of nowhere, really kind of added nothing substantial, and kind of felt like something she maybe wouldn't be so concerned about right then considering all the crazy shit that was going on already at that point. And, for supposedly very intelligent characters, they do a few incredibly stupid things basically in service of plot and scares), and had issues paying off themes. I was also lightly agitated by aspects of the science, in particular how our evolutionary process and the apparently total DNA match worked in relation to both those aliens and the other creatures we're clearly related to on Earth, but that's something I could get over.

But, as I say, when it worked I felt like it worked very well. Fassbender, Theron and Elba were stand-outs in terms of performance as well.

I'd probably rank it around 7.5/10, maybe 8/10. Not as solid as Alien, which remains my favorite Ridley Scott film.

Also, why the hell did they hire Guy Pearce in old man make-up as Weyland? I didn't recognize it as Pearce when watching, but I was pretty confident it was someone in make-up. Weren't they aware that elderly people already have old makeup on? Makeup called their skin?
    Guy Pearce is elderly?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Guy Pearce is elderly?
    No, that's my point. He isn't elderly, but the character is. So hire Christopher Plummer or peter O'Toole (though, with all the Lawrence of Arabia stuff, tht may not have worked) or some other old dude and don't bother with the distracting (and, at times, obvious) make-up.

It's not worth putting that distraction (not to mention unnecessary added cost of makeup) into the movie just to have some viral video (which speaks of misplaced priorities to me).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Strange, unanswered questions don't piss me off. For example, the ending to Lost, which Lindelof also had a hand in.
    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I felt the same way, bro.
    No wonder I think you two are awesome.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Strange, unanswered questions don't piss me off. For example, the ending to Lost, which Lindelof also had a hand in.
    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I felt the same way, bro.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

For a minute I thought it was gonna be Roger Ebert "talking" about Prometheus with his Stephen Hawking computer.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Good interview, I'm glad I wasn't just grasping at David's significance and those themes were actually deliberate. If anything, this seems like a lot of the shoddiness wasn't Damon's fault, but more Ole Man Ridley going for a 2001 style piece and if you disagree then GET OFF MY LAWN.
    Hah. Yeah, he sounds pretty authoritarian. Michael Fassbender was a pleasure to watch. I loved the point in the interview about building some customization into your bot, hadn't considered that possibility previously.

----

@Wind-Up Rex - I just know that I stepped right into the flow based upon my interpretation of the first scene, it was a little like falling in love with an idea. It definitely influenced the way I watched the movie. (I'm going to see it again as well with my BFF who hasn't seen it. INTJ, given to unpredictable flights of fancy, thank gawd. Very curious as to what he'll think. Also curious as to how it will hold up to a second viewing).

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I think you two are awesome. No wonder.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Red Letter Media is an awesome site. The reviews there are both very intelligent and funny (it got famous for the Star Wars prequel reviews, but Half in the Bag is a good series too).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    PING

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Um...wow. You're reading too much into it. (And I think you're just seeing what you want to see.)

Remember a movie called Alien released back in 1979? It was just a monster movie! Prometheus should've stayed the same way. If you're going to have a bunch of characters to kill off, so be it. But don't give them unnecessary build-up for such an anticlimactic conclusion! (I wanted to see an epic catfight between the original girl with the dragon tattoo and the bitch, even more epic than the one in Aliens.)
    Lol. Isn't this what's so good about movies or any other art form for that matter? We all get something different out of them. Isn't that the point?? And I think its interesting how everyone has been focusing on different aspects of the movie, or annoyed by different things and how that reflects personality type. Like, you're a what...ENTP, maybe that makes you think what I got from the movie was "reading too much into it'. But to me those sorts of things are what I think about and enjoy when I see movies...and it's not leaps at all in my head, that scene made perfect sense to me the moment it happened and it was no biggie. To you on the other hand it was anticlimatic and lacked appropriately dramatic fighting scene or whatever and there seemingly being no point (in your opinion) annoyed you afterwards....I think all these differences in our types and interpretations and of course personal preferences are interesting...