• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What mythological god do you resonate with? Why do you resonate with this particular god?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What Greek or any other mythological figure do you identify with?

In my life struggles I resonate with the Titan Prometheus who stole the fire of the gods and gave this gift to mankind. For this he was punished by Zeus and chained to a mountain.

Every day a vulture picked at Prometheus liver. He being an immortal god, the liver grew back. I also identify with in Green mythology of Sisyphus who in the afterlife has to roll up a boulder up a mountain each single day.

My actualized self resonates with the Greek god Apollo. Apollo the god of inner light and healing.

Last edited:

Skimt

Mythological is a label typically used by Christians to discredit my religion, so I'm grimacing here, but to answer your question I don't identify with any of my gods.

I have three favorites sagas: Hrafnsmál, Darraðarljóð, and Vǫlsungakviða. Together, they depict the valkyries looks, demeanor, and purpose.

Hrafnsmál describes a tall slender woman dressed like a monk, with pale white skin, white hair and brows, and pearl white eyes, who avoid the company of humans, and has a conversation with a raven. She makes a note of the human flesh stuck to the ravens talons, and the stench of death emanating from the ravens beak, and says that if the raven had arrived here from the spirit world, then there must have been a battle nearby. Then the raven speaks in length about the accomplishments of Harald Hårfagre to the valkyrie.

Darraðarljóð depicts the Battle of Clontarf from the eyes of a Scottish civilian, whom to his horror swore he witnessed 12 maidens weave a dome of limbs and intestines of the fallen dead over the battlefield, while they chanted "Vindum, vindum vef Darraðar!" which translates "Wind, wind the Weave of Spears!" It was the valkyries whom wove the outcome of the battle. It is widely considered one of the bloodiest battles in history, and we lost, for the Gaelic were better warriors that day, and the valkyries favored their resilience.

Vǫlsungakviða is probably one of my favorite stories involving the romance of an ordinary man and a valkyrie whose timeline was woven together by the norns, whom fought and died together, and were reborn to find each other anew. The valkyrie is introduced like this, after Helge had slaughtered the Hunding forces and family, and was resting by a rock:

Þá brá ljóma
af Logafjǫllum,
ęn af þęim ljóma
lęiptrir kómu.
[...
...]
hóvar und hjǫlmum
á himinvanga,
brynjur vǫ́ru þęira
blóði stoknar,
ęn af gęirum
gęislar stóðu.
Forth a lightning struck
off the Loga mountain,
and of this lightning
a fire erupted.
[Down rode maidens
three-times-nine,]

tall, wearing helmets,
of the heaven's flank;
their armor were
drenched in blood,
and beams of light
stood from their spears.

When Helge dies later in the saga, she says:

Hér hęfk þér, Hęlgi,
hvílu gǫrva
angrlausa mjǫk,
Ylfinga niðr
vilk þér í faðmi,
fylkir, sofna
sęm lofðungi
lifnum myndak.
I've got you, Helge,
rest now
without regret,
Yngvi's kin
in your embrace,
I will sleep
like I once did
when you were alive.

I've tried to adapt the translation as best I can to English.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Mythological is a label typically used by Christians to discredit my religion, so I'm grimacing here, but to answer your question I don't identify with any of my gods.

I have three favorites sagas: Hrafnsmál, Darraðarljóð, and Vǫlsungakviða. Together, they depict the valkyries looks, demeanor, and purpose.

Hrafnsmál describes a tall slender woman dressed like a monk, with pale white skin, white hair and brows, and pearl white eyes, who avoid the company of humans, and has a conversation with a raven. She makes a note of the human flesh stuck to the ravens talons, and the stench of death emanating from the ravens beak, and says that if the raven had arrived here from the spirit world, then there must have been a battle nearby. Then the raven speaks in length about the accomplishments of Harald Hårfagre to the valkyrie.

Darraðarljóð depicts the Battle of Clontarf from the eyes of a Scottish civilian, whom to his horror swore he witnessed 12 maidens weave a dome of limbs and intestines of the fallen dead over the battlefield, while they chanted "Vindum, vindum vef Darraðar!" which translates "Wind, wind the Weave of Spears!" It was the valkyries whom wove the outcome of the battle. It is widely considered one of the bloodiest battles in history, and we lost, for the Gaelic were better warriors that day, and the valkyries favored their resilience.

Vǫlsungakviða is probably one of my favorite stories involving the romance of an ordinary man and a valkyrie whose timeline was woven together by the norns, whom fought and died together, and were reborn to find each other anew. The valkyrie is introduced like this, after Helge had slaughtered the Hunding forces and family, and was resting by a rock:

Þá brá ljóma
af Logafjǫllum,
ęn af þęim ljóma
lęiptrir kómu.
[...
...]
hóvar und hjǫlmum
á himinvanga,
brynjur vǫ́ru þęira
blóði stoknar,
ęn af gęirum
gęislar stóðu.
Forth a lightning struck
off the Loga mountain,
and of this lightning
a fire erupted.
[Down rode maidens
three-times-nine,]

tall, wearing helmets,
of the heaven's flank;
their armor were
drenched in blood,
and beams of light
stood from their spears.

When Helge dies later in the saga, she says:

Hér hęfk þér, Hęlgi,
hvílu gǫrva
angrlausa mjǫk,
Ylfinga niðr
vilk þér í faðmi,
fylkir, sofna
sęm lofðungi
lifnum myndak.
I've got you, Helge,
rest now
without regret,
Yngvi's kin
in your embrace,
I will sleep
like I once did
when you were alive.

I've tried to adapt the translation as best I can to English.
Thank you for sharing Skimt. I am not religious nonetheless my whole life I’ve searched for truth and wisdom. I take from psychology, philosophy religious texts and the giants of secular wisdom throughput history.

In my writings I have views represented by: Agnostic, Atheism, Buddhism, Comparative Religion which incorporates the best verses from:
1. Baha’i
2. Buddhist
3. Christian
4. Confucian
5. Druid
6. Existentialism
7. Hinduism
8. Islam
9, Jain
10. Native American Spirituality
11. Paganism
12. Shamanism
12. Shinto
13. Sikhism
14. Taoism
15. Universalist
16. Wiccan
17. Zoroastrianism, etc.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
My deep and serious interest in the soul or the psyche, especially Jungian makes me inclined to reply : Hades. Everybody who is interested in psychology and greek mythology should notice the connection: the soul or the psyche is the main focus of psychology while according to the myth, Hades is the one who reigns in the underworld, where the souls of the dead people go to. It is generally believed that Human being consists of the body and the soul. When the immaterial soul studied separately with the material body which what we do, as if they were already died, The description of that would probably be somewhat like how Disney illustrated in the anime Hercules 1997 : a river full of human souls without material body on which Hades sails, .

I have also memory of death classmates and colleague , and acquaintance, people whom I met personally, all of whom died in early age teenager, late twenty, early thirty, which is unusual .
It is intriguing to note that Jungian says that they the gods and goddesses are actually archetypes. By this They seem not to take it literally like what the myth narrator storytell.
A Jungian analysis of classical mythology would claim that the main gods and goddesses express archetypes that are common to human thinking everywhere
Neither do I. I also guess each character could be a personification of psychological functions for a reason that the functions are probably hard to understand when they are explained theoretically. Describing them into a personification and animation should make it easier.
Btw, Perhaps We have the opportunity to learn our archetypes by studying mythology.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Hermaphroditus, Hermes, Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Poseidon, and of course...Hades. But not the James Woods version.

Ive always enjoyed Greek Mythology.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This may sound off topic but since its about ancient Gods I think it's relevant.

The Romans used to worship planets and stars. One of main god of the Romans was Jupiter. It makes more sense to worship something we can literally see (the Sun, Moon and Jupiter etc) as opposed to some invisible being only one person - claimed to - have seen . Without Sun there wouldn't be life on earth, life wouldn't sustain on earth and when the SUN dies one day we will all die. Without the moon the seasons of the earth wouldn't be stable. Weather patterns and climate changes will be extremely chaotic. Jupiter constantly protects the earth from meteorites. The list goes on.

However abrahamic religions stole the thunder by talking of eternal damnation of afterlife. "If you don't worship my god you are going to hell." The fear factor overpowered what's obvious - which is that none of us would exist, cherish without Sun.

So mythology? Not really they do exist and have a clear impact on our lives. The gods, angels, magical creatures we haven't seen are the mythologies.

Last edited:

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I’ve replied before on this topic. The Greek god I most identify is with Apollo. The Greek god of healing, music, prophesy, and sharing the wisdom of the gods, especially Zeus upon high Mt. Olympus.

“NF are also described as an archetype description as being an Apollonian”

As with the NT, the NF is future -oriented and focused on what might be. Apollo, giving man a sense of mission, showing man how to continue in his search for the sacred.

Apollo was the self-appointed bearer of Truth. Apollo symbolizes the duality of the Hellenic spirit: the urge to ideals, to truth, to beauty, to spiritually and sacredness.

He stood for the Grecian ideal of purity of spirit, of dedication to helping others, of the bringer of of therapeutic music and song.

He represented the healer of mind and body. He was the giver of prophecy, the inspirer and the inspirational, the divine and the incorruptible.

As the NF seeks self- actualization in identity and unity, he is aware that this is a life -long process, an ideal toward being and becoming a final finished self.” [David Keirsey, Please Understand Me. Prometheus Nemesis Book Company, 1984.]

My dad used to say and he was Russian plus I am a junior as a nickname, “Junie, Junie I like the Scandinavian gods. Those Greek gods though I don’t because their stories were full of Incest related encounters.”

It is more complicated and there was an earlier pantheon but I am just starting with Gaea or Mother Earth, the earth goddes. She bore a son named Uranus the sky god and together bore the first gods called Titans.

There were 12 of these Titans and Cronus, Cronus (Roman name is Saturn) son castrated his father Uranus. Hence the night time constellations. Each of the six brother Titans married their six counterpart sister Titans.

Thus Cronus married Rhea, a mother goddess. Together they bore 6 children later identified as the Olympians. Cronus swallowed his first 5 children. Rhea fooled Cronus into swallowing Zeus and disguising him as a rock for camouflage.

Zeus grew up in a secluded island and then later revolted against his father. He established the Olympian gods upon Mt. Olympus. There were 6 offspring and sisters married their brothers. Later the 12 ruling elite Olympians were augmented by sons and daughters of Zeus and Rhea.

Zeus married his sister Hera, the queen of the gods. Zeus though was very unfaithful. He engaged multiple human woman in various guises. He was a shower of gold. He was a bull and thus the Minotaur of legend was born.

Zeus had a son with a mortal woman and produced Hercules. Hera being jealous tried unsuccessfully to have Hercules killed. I do not boast, it’s just my whole life I have been in one form or another on a quest for insight and wisdom.

Thus I have strong academic backgrounds with theology. I had at one point wished to become a priest and took advanced theology courses. I love all myths especially the Greek, Celtic and Scandinavian myths.

So I have a background in psychology, human services, philosophy, theology, mythology and history.

I once asked an open ended question of, “Is it helpful to have various backgrounds to draw upon.” My answer is yes.

One can cross reference verb usage from one field and then with this gain an advantage by cross referencing and developing insights by using terminology and understanding with other fields to gain a fresh perspective.

I have a private battle. I have used the myth of Sisyphus rolling up a boulder in a Greek purgatory as a private metaphor of my own inner battle.

Another I identify is the Titan Prometheus. Prometheus stole the fire of the gods and gifted it to humanity. Zeus as punishment hung Prometheus to a cliff.

Every day a vulture would come and eat Prometheus’s liver. Being an immortal his liver grew back and the whole process was every day repeated.

I also relate to Icarus in that he flew too close to the sun and with wings of wax fell. Another metaphor I use is the Minotaur in the labyrinth. I have shared before, and will continue to do so.

I have an abstract saying, “I will not write or say anything unless it in a metaphorical sense resonates with my heart, mind and soul.” For now I am being somewhat vague. I have an album on Facebook called “My Private Struggle.”

Best wishes for all that share my love about myths. As a last statement even though they are from two different fields, I find Joseph Campbell, mythology expertise and Carl Jung from psychology both highly intuitive, fascinating insightful men.

Apollo (Sol) god of inner-light

Apollo (Apollo or Phoebus) God of light, knowledge, healing, plague and darkness, the arts, music, poetry, prophecy, archery, the sun, manly youth, and beauty.

Son of Zeus and Leto. Symbols include the sun, lyre, bow and arrow, raven, dolphin, wolf, swan, and mouse. Twin brother of Artemis.

Apollon [aka Apollo]
The son of Zeus and Leto his mother was pursued by Hera to the floating rock Delos where he was born under a palm tree because of the when and where of his birth the full and new moon cycles where considered sacred to him.

Homer depicted him as a god of prophecy, the sender of plagues, and the god of agriculture. Often referred to for his physical prowess he was said to be the first winner of the Olympic games.

Upon his birth he slew the Python bringer of winter and darkness and was found guilty by the gods of murder he was then forced to wander the earth in penance.

"Just as anyone who listens to the muse will hear, you can write out of your own intention or out of inspiration. There is such a thing. It comes up and talks.

And those who have heard deeply the rhythms and hymns of the gods, can recite those hymns in such a way that the gods will be attracted." @Joseph Campbell

'Ballad of Apollo'

"As Apollo plays his Golden lyre, the Graces and Muses dance their hips asway and even mighty Zeus's thunderbolts were stilled." LightSun;

Attachments

• E52EAE56-FD25-41C3-8A93-DF76A26FC594.jpeg
    E52EAE56-FD25-41C3-8A93-DF76A26FC594.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: