User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: WATCHMEN!

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    Hahaha! A good old Christopher Guest mockumentary is *perfect* for that. Do you think Eugene Levy could pull off playing him?
    You just gained a million cool points for agreeing with me and another 5 million for knowing who Guest is!

Eugene Levy I am sure would do a great job- he seems like he could do the caveman look that Moore has pretty well,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I still have a bad feeling about it.
    The more I can detach from the book, the better chance I have to enjoy the movie.

As others have said, it's a different medium.
    But I didn't really much enjoy the trailers.

(I had a lot of trouble with V for Vendetta too, as well as LOTR.)

still, even despite the change of medium, there are some movies that manage to be far deeper and better than the books they were based on (like The Hours or The Prestige). I'm not sure why dramatic cinema can't manage to create comparable effect with such good source material. I'm hoping this movie pulls through.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Just got back from seeing the movie. It was good. The music choice was sad and a little too much like a jukebox...I wish they had written more music for the movie. They also overdid the "bullet time" effect such that it hampered fight scenes and made them more frustrating to watch: like if you're going to show someone breaking some guy's arm, don't slow it down for me...that hampers the action and kills the effect. Better to keep it fast. Slow it down only when someone does some complicated move or impossible dodge...don't slow down every single freaking punch, please.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a movie inspired by a comic. I liked that it was very gritty. I liked that they weren't afraid to really push the envelope on what is/isn't socially acceptable to show in big movies. I loved Rorschach and Night Owl's characters...I think the actors seemed to hit the general feel of who they should be fairly well.

There were some parts that felt a little too condensed, and I think sometimes the story got a little drawn out/rushed feeling because they were trying to show too much. In some places, it was almost exactly like the comic (or felt like it was), which is good in some places...but the direct translation doesn't always work and there were some places where it didn't...where they needed to do something more that would use the strengths of film.

I have to say...going opening night in a town in which lots of nerdy college kids are packed in a theater is fun. Because when someone makes a joke during the movie, everyone laughs and enjoys it. No one takes the film too seriously, and at the same time, no one is an asshole about interrupting too much. Very relaxed.

My roommate was the best of the three Rorschachs (only three people dressed anyway) that showed up...and I counted 7 times people asked to take her picture. Awesome. I didn't take my camera, though.

That's all I have on the top of my head. I'm going to bed it's 3:33 AM...very sleepy as the caffine and social high are wearing off.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Any more?

Does it suck or not?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm seeing it this evening. Hold your horses.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Any more?

Does it suck or not?
    As someone who's never read the graphic novel, I felt that it could have been much better, particularly the dialogue. Some of the phrases didn't seem to translate well into the film.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Any more?

Does it suck or not?
    A good friend of mine said he found it awesome. So, I'm going to go see it and will report back!

/may not get around to seeing it for months.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Roger Ebert loved it enough to see it twice already.
    INFJ
    4w5

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I just got back from it.

Loved it.

The best DC superhero movie since Superman.

And more importantly, much better than The Dark Knight.

The characters, in particular, were very compelling compared to other superheros. For some reason, I thought their back stories were far more complex, and more importantly, far more original. And the development for each of the main characters was given equal share. I liked the sort of balance.

Oh, and the special effects were awesome.

Can't say I liked the soundtrack, though. That was probably the most major weak spot, but even it wasn't that bad.

MBTI
    Ixxx

The kind of movie that seems impossible not to be few and far between.